Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by lcdstap View Post
    I think cloud computing is still in "hype" stage. Few need it, even fewer understand it.
    QFT.

Karl was right a few posts back. Cloud is the future. But "cloud" as it is marketed now is not really really cloud... it's just marketing hype.

It's a cluster of servers, that is distributed equally over so many servers/networks to give you the best stability and uptime.
    It shares resources over more than one server usually.

Quote Originally Posted by PPOwens View Post
    It's a cluster of servers, that is distributed equally over so many servers/networks to give you the best stability and uptime.
    It shares resources over more than one server usually.
    So a couple web servers behind a load balancer is a cloud? Then what is everyone so excited about clouds for, we've been running configs like that for 5+ years and I'm sure others have been running them much longer than us...
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

New name...branding..hype.

Quote Originally Posted by RDOSTI View Post
    I dont think so. Cloud hosting will have its share of limitations. Do you want your data hosted by someone else rather than yourself or on your own little dedicated at home or work ...
    I'm guessing you offer web hosting?

Are you trying to convince others not to put their applications and data on your web servers because it's safer and better to host it on their own dedicated server at home?
    Hycloud is a Journalist, CEO, teacher, scientist, mathematician, engineer, economist, web developer, graphics designer, computer programmer, system administrator

The good point for cloud hosting is the
    flexibility of upgrading resource usage.
    Affordable hosting , Fast & Reliable host by Hostneverdie Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Keeping it in house doesn't mean they just keep it under their desks in their office. Most banks will run their own data centers, so they can control all the aspects of security themselves and that is also the case with various firms dealing with lots of medical data, etc. Simply being 100% in charge of the controls for data access can mean a lot to those types of firms.
    That's true, but outsourcing works both ways.

End of the day it's up to the preference of the client.

Either in house or outsourced - the same goal of security can be accomplished.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

I think you can find more and exact information on

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Hosting

Many good companies are now moving to cloud hosting as they are much better and secured than other servers...

Cloud hosting as well as application hosting both are third party application service based platforms. Application hosting denotes installing your application on third party servers and accessing it as a local desktop interface at the clients end.

Cloud hosting phenomenon is still in an evolving phase and the concept is vaguely interpreted by different technologist differently. But the common converging view point about cloud computing is about two components, one is virtualization and second is distributed computing. Virtualization essentially implies that servers can run more than one application simultaneously and thereby having sharing of resources. This has importance for the provisioning aspect of cloud computing or hosting services where in the client is assured of unlimited expansion of the infrastructure without the need for actually buying that and instead to opt for pay as you go model. Also, cloud hosting and the virtualization of resources implies that the risks associated with scaling up or down of the infrastructure services is shared by the cloud hosting service provider and thus reduce the financial liabilities for the enterprise.

Another aspect of cloud hosting refers to distributed computing which implies that the infrastructure do not need to be based on the business premises itself, and instead can be rented out. This has evolved into various models of cloud computing termed as Platform as a service, Hardware as a service and software as a service. Cloud computing goes a step ahead of software as a service and instead removed the intermediary SAAS service provider by offering the Infrastructure to the businesses itself. So as we move outwards from SAAS to PAAS and HAAS we are basically signifying the contiguity of cloud hosting services to the internet cloud where the end user is less concerned about the physical infrastructure on which the application runs as well as anytime anywhere access to the application regardless of network or platforms.

The benefits of cloud hosting are multifarious:

* One is easy scalability of the IT infrastructure and the lack of provisioning for the future needs

* Second the cost of owning the infrastructure is less because of virtualization as well as the pay as you go model.

* Also the IT costs are further reduced in the cloud hosting process due to the IT support being outsourced to third party.

* Then there is the assurance of uninterrupted and trouble free service due to redundant technology infrastructure

* Lastly, enterprises would be able to use the services and latest technology without actually owning the resources and be able to compete with the firms which can invest heavily in the latest technology. Cloud hosting thus transforms "capital costs" into "operational costs".

Liza Welch from Real Time Data Services. The company is major Cloud Hosting service provider with specialization in accounting, tax and CRM application hosting. The company is the largest QuickBooks hosting service provider in the cloud environment. Peachtree, MyOb and ACT! CRM are also hosted by the company in the cloud environment.

Let me guess here, since I am dealing with clouds for the last year and a half.
    The combination of #1 and #2 below gives new abilities to developers, but does not add too much to end users.
    1. programmatically manage hardware, storage, network assets and
    2. programmatically manage software (we always had this ability)

When I say end users, I really mean hosting provider clients. They will benefit when they get a convenient, UI based way to manage and maintain their hosted applications. In other words it should be a complete application life cycle management. Let me guess about a cloud specific ones only:
    - scalability management
    - hardware provisioning and upgrades
    - network configuration
    - server uptime schedule

All should be done through a user friendly UI. Right now it is hard for a regular user to jump into clouds since they have to deal with cloud specifics. Even if they do they end up being locked in to a specific cloud provider since each cloud provider uses their own APIs.

In general, a cloud-hosted website is operating on many linked servers. Rather than restricted to one server like what we have in established hosting services, website now has access to many servers. Almost, the processing power is limitless as you can always include a new server and scale up.

For your kind information cloud server hosting is a technology which allows you to store your data over the internet.Since this sort of hosting services helps to share resources, it reduces the overall cost of the company.

Thank you so much for all of the information in this thread - it was invaluable to my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat2009 View Post
    What is this cloud hosting thing? I really don't understand this and why all the hype about it? Is it like, we should all move over to cloud hosting? What are the good and bad points? What is it? I've read a few things but I still don't get it... It's just like a VPS with only an extra thing which allows the resources to be virtual too??
    cloud hosting is similar to shared hosting where you share one server to many hosts, here in cloud hosting you share one website to many servers. all those servers conected to cloud hosting can access the same page at same time.

Thanks for the informative website Hostingleet, I like the video. It's kind of funny in the beginning..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123