Question Best way to upgrade to new kernel on dedicated server?

I just tried to upgrade from linux kernel 2.4.18 to 2.4.21 on a dedicated server. Compiled the new kernel, updated lilo, rebooted, and nothing. I think I know what the problem is, but I can't do much about it, since I am not at the console.

I am new to dedicated hosting, so I am trying to figure out the best way to go about this (next time). Before this, I used my own server colo'ed at a local DC. I would just go there when doing this type of thing (since it often doesn't work on the first try).

Luckily I just got the server, so nobody is on it. What is the best practice for upgrading the kernel on a live server that can't afford any downtime?

Thanks!
    MB

Oh, why I have a thread open, one more question. The company I bought the dedicated server from gave me a very small /usr. Is there anyway to increase the partition without starting from scratch? Thanks.

The best way to do the kernel build is to do it on an identical development box that is in your office first. If it works, then either follow the same steps on the remote machine, or use the kernel you built on your development box.

IMHO.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Remote kernel upgrade is always not an ideal solution for a production machine. Make sure always have a similiar test system running at home or somewhere you can reach for testing purposes.

Though someone in rs forum suggested to upgrade kernel (rpm build) with "ivh" as rpm attribute, so if the new one fall, you can still immediately call the dc guy to boot with previous kernel.

stick to your distro's kernels. Even if you need a custom modification or patch, you can usualy modify theirs, and still inheret much of the pre-tested reliabilty they will offer. For instance in redhat you would just find the SRPM and modify that as needed.

If you don't have any uniquely different needs,and is on Redhat, you can also use up2date. Generally, it's relatively bug free. Best case though is to recompile it from source at the datacenter, via the console be it yourself or the data center folks. Ask them if they provide the service.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••