Unhappy Am I a Spammer ?

Hi There,

I have a site host with one hosting company, I have about more or less 5000 my member email account in my database,

Last few day ago, I have a another site lauching, I wish to email all my member about my new site lauching, So I set up a page to email all my customer using PHP code, when it is send more or less 80 emails account, all the email bounce back to my default email address.

It seems like the configuration of the server prevent me to send out so many email account at one time...

I have few question on this.
    1. Am I a spammer? Because I only email to my member only..
    2. How to solve this problem?
    3. Can I ask my host to disable this server setting?
    4. Is there any hosting company's server not configure in this way?

Thanks everybody....

Without seeing the error message its hard to know what the problem is.

For all you might not be a spammer it could be inplace to prevent spamming.

Everyhost has a different config on their servers.

What a lot of hosts do is say you have to contact them if ytou have a large list.

You can either...
    1. contact your host
    2. Move hosts
    3. edit your php script to send 1 email at a time and cron it so it takes about 3-4 days to send all the messages out.
    4. Download the email addresses and get a bluk emailer from the internet to contact everyone with.
    5. Donload the site and database. Install php locally, install a smtp server locally, and just send the emails out from your home computer.

I have delt with very large lists before, and hosts that restricted them became more common. So i used to run a old computer as a local server to do it. (a long time ago before my own dedicated servers)
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!

1. You are not spammer to me but... ask your host whether do they allow massive mailing. Some hosts will consider you as abuser as you are doing massive mailing by flooding their mail server which might affect their other services = affect their other customers.

2. What you can do is to split out your number of mails to few... like if your host allows you to send 80 mails per hour, then you just split the 5000 members accordingly... get the idea?

3. You can ask but the succeed rate will be very low

4. Yes, you just need to ask those hosts that you are interested while you doing your research on web hosts

Just my thoughts
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::

I'll suggest split emails into parts and send them with a delay...

Re: Am I a Spammer ?

Originally posted by centurygothic
    I have about more or less 5000 my member email account in my database,
    Is this a double opt-in list? If not you might be a spammer.

Your problem with your emails is that your host limits the number of emails sent per hour.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

As MH-Gary said, if those 5000 members did not agree to be emailed with offers and announcements, you are spamming by definition.

Since they are your customers, they probably can be emailed. Many companies send out email newsletters and announcements to their customer list.

Of course, as you mentioned, make sure that you send from a real email address and make it crystal clear and easy to unsubcribe from future mailings.
    Try the StreamSend Email Marketing Service. StreamSend is a permission-based email marketing service that offers both a private label reseller program and an affiliate program.

yeah, definitely not a spammer, just send the e-mails out in smaller chunks and with a delay and that should do the trick. or find a STMP host that will allow the bulk mailing

Originally posted by afflucky
    yeah, definitely not a spammer,

I don't agree 100%,

You are not a spammer if:

1) your list is double opt-in, it means after they sign up and email confirmation most be sent. If the customer does not confirm the registration then you can't send emails to them.

2) You are sending ONLY emails with REQUESTED offers. It means IF your customer sign up for emails regarding the Weather in Orlando, you most not send emails offering him Hosting.

3) If you are not a spammer, then take the recommendations above and divid the list in pieces and send one email at a time. Or get a mailing software.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

Thumbs up

just send out the mails in smaller doses.. you'll be okay

Originally posted by awibble

What a lot of hosts do is say you have to contact them if ytou have a large list.

You can either...
    1. contact your host
    2. Move hosts
    3. edit your php script to send 1 email at a time and cron it so it takes about 3-4 days to send all the messages out.
    4. Download the email addresses and get a bluk emailer from the internet to contact everyone with.
    5. Donload the site and database. Install php locally, install a smtp server locally, and just send the emails out from your home computer.

I have delt with very large lists before, and hosts that restricted them became more common. So i used to run a old computer as a local server to do it. (a long time ago before my own dedicated servers)
    Install PHP and smtp server locally and sent from my local pc is a great idea, However when I testing send to yahoo email account, it goes to "Bulk" folder, may i know how yahoo email define an email is a bulk mail or not..

When I send through hosting account using php scriptk, it goes to inbox folder...

Any body any comment on this?

Originally posted by awibble

You can either...
    1. contact your host
    2. Move hosts

Install PHP and smtp server locally and sent from my local pc is a great idea, However when I testing send to yahoo email account, it goes to "Bulk" folder, may i know how yahoo email define an email is a bulk mail or not..

When I send through hosting account using php scriptk, it goes to inbox folder...

Any body any comment on this?

It's because your IP is not a dedicated IP, it's assigned via DHCP from your provider and therefore isn't a "legal" mail server, it more than likely doesn't have any RDNS associated with it and that hurts it too, not to mention that it is more than likely against the TOS/AUP of your provider..
    James Lumby

I believe if you had asked your customers if they wanted to be emailed about updates and other promotions and etc from you and they said yes, you could email them. In this case I do not believe it would be spam.

If you have not asked if it is alright to email them with such information than I do not think it is ok to do so.