Changing DNS With GoDaddy

Hey.

I am now on a dedicated ip with a new host and am trying to transfer. The nameservers given to me are something like:

ns1.hostingcompany.com 66.xxx.xxx.xxx
    ns2.hostingcompany.com 66.xxx.xxx.xxx

However, GoDaddy will not let me enter that, it only takes the host name.

Does this mean that when DNS refreshes, my site will redirect to the hosting company instead of my website?

Someone please help this newbie out!

Call them
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Hmm, any one else know what to do without wasting money on long distance?

Ahh, so calling them you think won't work? It's what I did.
    dotGig

But I'm asking is there even a problem at all? Do I need to do anying?

And if I do, I'd like to know if there's an EASIER alternative than calling, such as typing something in lol.

You need to register your name servers with your registrar, update them also if needed.

Two things, update the domain's DNS, register the name servers as a host.
    dotGig

I ALREADY UPDATED IT, though.

I'm asking if I need to, and if so how, do I get the IP ADDRESS listed w/ the nameservers.

If they are your own nameservers:
    give by your company so you can using ns1.yoursite.com ns2.yoursite.com you will have to register them)

If they are the hosting nameservers (ns1/ns2.thehostingcompany.com)so you will just have to update your site nameservers you can use only the host (which is even better so the ips are later changed)

okay, i have a dedicated ip address for my site w/ my host. My host gave me nameservers. I am asking if i need to INCLUDE the ded. ip anywhere with the nameservers that i change at my registrar - OR - do I need to simply enter the addresses for the dns.

No. Simply enter your hosts' nameservers. Your IP is just so you can access your site via it.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Benfhw-

The name servers that were given to you will resolve themselves to the IP address. Don't worry about the Ip's, let your hosting company make sure they're resolving correctly!

But....if you input these servers and it states you need to register them, you'll need to do so with the IP address within the Domain Host Information section along with putting just the name's within the Name Server Information section of your account.
    Last edited by bok; 10-18-2002 at 04:47 PM.

Thumbs up

Cool, godaddy comments here!

Another reason to love godaddy!

-WC-