* hosting a site with a domain name I dont own

I hope I am in the right place to ask this question as I unsure how to explain my problem but here goes!

I have a(two)godaddy deluxe hosting account/s and all my domains are registered with godaddy (apparently not a good idea I read in another thread!) Anyway, I am able to have sub domains (or maybe addons, not sure which) and host several, separate websites on the one hosting account. I offered to create a website for a community project I am involved with as I know how to get things to work with godaddy but someone went ahead and bought the domain from someone else and and now I don't know how to proceed to be able to use that domian with my godaddy hosting. I have researched it quite a lot but still having trouble understanding what I need to do. I found where I could change the nameservers to godaddy's nameservers in the control panel of the place where the domain was bought but not exactly sure what that will actually do or what to do after that. What does it then point to? Where in my godaddy account can I access that domain when I don't own it? It wont allow me to create a sub-domain to upload my files to so where do I upload the files to? I think I am missing something really important about the whole concept and I don't even know if I am asking the right questions. All I know is if I had bought the domain via godaddy and was able to access it in the way I usually do, I wouldn't be asking these questions. Can anyone understand my ramblings? Thanks in advance.

You need to go in and tell the domain name to point to your web server, in your case your go daddy name servers. Once those changes are made then (I dont use go daddy) but I am quite sure you can just go in your account and add that domain to your zone file and begin working on the site.

Thank you

Wow! That is all I needed. Someone just to spell it out to me in a simple way. Thank you very much.

Ok well I think the penny dropped and I understand a little more about hosting and domain names despite being "mothered" by godaddy

However, I went and changed the nameservers but got the error message below.

Does it mean we have to pay money to edit the zone further to achieve the desired results or would "specifying the IP address" (an option that existed on the change nameserver page) allow me to point the domain to godaddy and make it work? Hope this makes sense?

Zone

NB: this is an incomplete record obtained by querying the most commonly-used hostnames. It is quite possible that additional hosts exist that we were not able to find.

@www
    Reset to default settings
    Purchase DNS Management in order to edit the zone

Not sure whether this will help but here's an old thread about (I think) the same problem.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=894861

You could ask to the person that registered the domain to point the A records for the www or other entries to the ip of your shared account...
    Prometeus.com & iperweb.com Hosting Solutions since 1997
    We are LIR (RIPE NCC member) and do BGP with ASN 34971 Multiple gigabit/s network capacity
    iwStack.com IaaS Cloud services

Basicly it is simple.
    Your client register a domain.
    And ask them to purchase a hosting account.

Some hosting company has name server
    such as ns1.hostingcompany.com
    ns2.hostingcompany.com

You ask your client to point to name server of the hosting company you choose.

That's it . thats all you need to do.
    Newidhost.com - Cheap Hosting Solutions

Why did someone other than you purchase the domain name? I suggest contacting godaddy and finding out the nameservers for your web hosting account and then have the person who has access to the domain name edit the nameservers for the domain name to point to your web hosting account.

Is the above what you already tried?
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by iperweb View Post
    You could ask to the person that registered the domain to point the A records for the www or other entries to the ip of your shared account...
    I have access to the domain and they want you to purchase DNS management to edit anything other than the nameservers or IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Why did someone other than you purchase the domain name? I suggest contacting godaddy and finding out the nameservers for your web hosting account and then have the person who has access to the domain name edit the nameservers for the domain name to point to your web hosting account.

Is the above what you already tried?
    The person just went ahead and bought it when we were in discussion because they know even less than I do, not knowing that it would give me a headache

I have the nameservers from godaddy and yes I have already tried and I have access to the domain.

Quote Originally Posted by pakdehosting View Post
    Basicly it is simple.
    Your client register a domain.
    And ask them to purchase a hosting account.

Some hosting company has name server
    such as ns1.hostingcompany.com
    ns2.hostingcompany.com

You ask your client to point to name server of the hosting company you choose.

That's it . thats all you need to do.
    Yes, thanks. I now understand this simple thing since the first reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Service11 View Post
    Not sure whether this will help but here's an old thread about (I think) the same problem.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=894861
    Thanks. It looks like we we are going to have to pay to access the DNS settings. Grrrrr.

Update :

I added the domain to the hosting account of the person who owns the domain and I am just uploading the website through her account. Her hosting/registrar company wanted fees for anything else I wanted to try.

Thanks to all who replied

Try forwarding the domain name. This is the only way i know. Or you buy your own at some cheap registrar

If you want DNS hosted by godaddy then you need to have the person who has access to the domains registrar and point them to godaddys name server. Basically you would point the domain to something like ns1.godaddy.com ns2.godaddy.com. That is an example. You need to talk to godaddy and find out the proper name servers for the account. Then if you are the person who registered the domain can contact the domain registrar to assist you with pointing the name to go daddys dns server. If you want DNS Hosted with the domain registrar this will probably cost you extra but you'll have to talk to them and have teh assist you guys setting up A, CNAME, MX, etc Records. If you don't understand still contact godaddy and let them point you in the right direction.

P.S
    Sorry if I gave a horrid explaination.