What the hell is cheap bandwidth??

People say that Cogent sells cheap and crappy bandwidth, and that is whyt hey sell it for $30/Mbit.

People also said that MCI Worlcom sold QUALItY bandidth, and that is why they sold it for $1,330/Mbit.

Now there is a ****ing difference here, and I don't understand why.

Both ISPs don't oversubscribe bandwidth, so you are guarenteed your speed no matter what the **** happens. If you had 100 Mbps for $3,000 with Cogent, and 100 Mbps with MCI Worlcom, for god knows how much, im estimating, around $85,000/m (since a T3, 45 Mbps cost $40,000), BOTH will give you 100 Mbps any any given time.

Now what the **** is the difference?

Woah now, no reason to get so excited and huffy

Peering arrangements are one, sheer size of network, etc. There is actually a difference of stages in bandwidth.

Speed, connectivity, ping
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.

What's with all the ****. Can't you ask a question without some sort of implied profanity?

Lol sorry, I didn't realise this place didn't accept swearing, oh well.

Cogent has ping times of below 20 normally, or so it says on there report, and they have something like 99.999% uptime, which is pretty high.

So what would make Cogent cheap? As in bad bandwidth?

it has been discussed too many times. do a search on "cogent" and ull get tons of results.

however cogent within the US isnt too bad these days expecially in certain areas. its still pretty sucky out of north america tho.

That's fine and dandy, but simply saying so has no meaning. An explanation of why it is crappy would be more helpful.

Although I will google it and see if I get anything.

You didnt need to swear in the first place though...

Anyway, it's all to do with other links they have to the rest of the world etc, a connection may be great for you but slow for someone else if they don't have great links elsewhere in the world.
    Steve

Seany as said above, search for it here with WHT's search option: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s=

There are tons of threads to give you a bit of info.

GL
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.

MCI

At my 'day job', I just received a full T3 from MCI for about $15k, though that is on a sonet ring so the loop charges are a bit lower for us, but it's a bit less than $40k. It is a lot more than the $3k cogent is selling their b/w for.

MCI is extremely well peered. It's very obvious when you are multi-homed with several other providers using BGP and you have to continually pad the routes on all other providers to keep all the traffic from coming in and going out MCI.

I have no experience with cogent other than their sales people bugging the snot out of me to buy their b/w.

People also said that MCI Worlcom sold QUALItY bandidth, and that is why they sold it for $1,330/Mbit

wow is that all? here we pay 2k for a full T1...but then again the closest Hop is 71 miles away and we have to backhaul from about 500 miles away....guess it is the breaks for living and operating in rural america...they got you by the "shorthairs"

Originally posted by NewtSys
    wow is that all? here we pay 2k for a full T1...but then again the closest Hop is 71 miles away and we have to backhaul from about 500 miles away....guess it is the breaks for living and operating in rural america...they got you by the "shorthairs"
    Well, $2000 for a T-1 (1.54Mbps) is almost exactly $1330/Mbps, just like what he quoted. Yes, it's way too much. It's arguable whether the premium is still appropriate for UUnet/MCI/WorldCom connectivity, all other issues aside.

Incidentally, I've seen pricing for UUnet connectivity in the $100/Mbps range.

Kevin

your right Kevin, I didn't exactly read the post correctly... 1Mbps vs. 1.54Mbps just ignore my dyslexic brain during normal working hours

Greetings:

Boardwatch Magazine and other companies do tests on a regualr basis on the bandwidth providers.

Cogent continues to rank 32 out of 34 and 30 out of 32 depending whose running the test.

Being in the bottom 5% means low quality in my opinion and that of the testers.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

These circuits charge by the distance the termination point is from the CO or carrier facility.

I could get a T1 to my house (14 mile local loop) for $3100 a month. If I rented a cheap, one-room office downtown foir $400, my T1 was quoted at $398.00 a month.

If you are looking to cut costs, rent some office space right next door to the CO. Thats called a zero-mile local loop.

Dosent have to be anything fancy at all - as long as the door locks and the place isnt at a risk for being torched or burglarized, you're good to go. Depending on where you are, office space can either be dirt cheap or sky high.

Where I am here, I was renting a small office on the 23rd floor of a downtown highrise for $480 a month. UUnet/WorldCom/MCI or whatever you want to call them was on the 8th floor.

I secured permission to drop some cable down the elevator shaft and make a run right to them - NO local loop charges. They gave me a T1 on that line for next to nothing.

Unfortantly, I left the office building because they changed owners and the new guys were real asses.