Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbeing Creations View Post
    They buy energy credits and IMO they are virtually worthless. It doesn't show that the company is actually doing anything to lessen it's environmental impact, they are just buying a clean conscience.
    I disagree.

At home, I pay extra on my electric bill for higher priced renewable energy so that my home is technically classified as 100% powered by renewable energy. Does my electric company have the technological ability to ensure that the energy being zapped into *my* house is only green and renewable and not "dirty"? No.

But the premium I pay for my energy means that they purchased green energy and put it into the grid equal to precisely what my house uses, and there's only a finite amount of energy needed in the grid, which means that less dirty energy is in the grid and more renewable energy is in the grid because I signed up to pay a higher electric bill.

I offset, with my premium payment, dirty energy, and I got more green energy into the collective pool by paying a premium, even if the neighbor down the street who chose not to do that gets my green zap.

Carbon offsets work in precisely the same way. Can my servers directly use the green energy from the second electric bill I choose to pay every month? No, because my data center doesn't have the ability to do that.

My particular money went into the Inland industrial rooftop solar power facilities being built in Rialto, California for Edison customers in California - they're building three that would not have been likely built with outside investment from carbon offset buyers like myself, and will more quickly help Edison reach a goal of providing 20% of its electricity from renewable resources.

Hardly a virtually worthless project or purchase.

Do I wish that energy was going directly into my servers? Sure.

Do I think being a small part of the largest solar energy project in the nation with a goal of 250 million megawatts of solar generation capacity is worthless? Hardly.

Paying two electric bills a month is a pretty expensive way to "buy a clean conscience".
    Jen Lepp
    “Customer service represents the heart of a brand in the hearts of its customers.” – Kate Nasser

what boxes do you have to tick to be able to call yourself a green host?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam27 View Post
    what boxes do you have to tick to be able to call yourself a green host?
    Green Servers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails green-server-room.jpg  

Hi,

I would say Green Hosting is not my pre-requisite. However, it would be an added advantage to be using green web hosting at low price. Website uptime and customer support are what matters to me.

Green Web Hosting
    funny enough, I thought something different - hosting with 0% uptime guarantee, basically servers are never plug in into power socket as I haven seen any solar powered data centre yet.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

I'm not so sure that customers really care about Green Hosting.. the average person doesn't really know that much about global warming to care. I would, however, support the movement for users that want a Green Host. Like others have said, it's a nice touch.

In my opinion, it will be reasonable to deal with environmental friendly hosting providers. I appreciate those green hosts...

which company first started to use green energy for promoting their web service ??

Quote Originally Posted by carl2k2 View Post
    What are your thoughts on Green Web Hosting companies, because I myself have setup a small business providing green web hosting for an affordable price, but just wanted to know what ways of advertising I should use, and whether you are bothered about whether it helps the planet or not.
    Green hosting is great for our industry and we here at GreenGeeks hope that customers do start looking for "green" in their search for a responsible, reliable host.

I think that Green Web Hosting companies are pretty cool because they're doing their part to lessen their environmental footprint. Whether one believes in Global Warming or not, there's nothing wrong with resource conservation. I, personally, will only host with an environmentally friendly web hosting service provider. If the company doesn't offer a green web hosting solution, I'm not interested.

I'm surprised somebody hasn't started a "green web hosting certification" program that inspects in detail web hosts that claim to be green and certifies them as such according to certain annually updated standards.
    Site5 Rebate Claim Form | Save Big on Reliable Shared and Reseller Web Hosting
    Hover Coupon | Affordable Domain Names and Personalized, Surname Email for Less

I just gone through green web hosting in couple of sites,what does it really mean?
    Is it environment friendly or something more?

Quote Originally Posted by nagesh View Post
    I just gone through green web hosting in couple of sites,what does it really mean?
    Is it environment friendly or something more?
    Green web hosting "should" mean (IMO) that the hosting overall is carbon neutral, meaning that through various company initiatives such as recycling, buying green tags, and so on, the company offsets whatever carbon it generates by neutralizing it in other ways (buying an equal amount of renewable energy, and so on).

There are non-profits that will help companies calculate their carbon "footprint" and then come up with a way for them to offset it that's trackable. We personally have used BEF since 2007, and they just did a presentation with Green Geeks at HostingCon on green hosting this week.
    Jen Lepp
    “Customer service represents the heart of a brand in the hearts of its customers.” – Kate Nasser

Hello
    As for me, I'm positive attitude to green web hosting companies. And I will give priority to this companies.
    Soft-Industry Support service
    Our aim is satisfied and successful Customer

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    wondering the same.
    If they were 100% wind powered, that would mean that The Planet is 100% wind powered.

Seeing as that's not something The Planet advertises, and it's something completely implausible from the amount of power that they draw vs. the current quantity of wind generation plants in Texas, it's unlikely that HostGator is 130% wind powered as they claim.

Now, if they were Nuclear powered, I would consider them to be a green host. Why? Nuclear is a VERY clean source of power. Especially if using a Pebble Bed Reactor.

People put Nuclear power down claiming it's such a bad technology. In reality, you can create nearly endless quantities of power with very, very little waste by ratio. In addition, it's extremely safe.

Chernobyl and Three Mile Island all had VERY unique circumstances around them. It's not stuff that happens every day.

I'm proud to say my home is powered by a nuclear power plant down in Miami. If you live in Central Florida, you should be proud to say that your home is powered by a reactor in Port Saint Lucie
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

Quote Originally Posted by ClubUptime View Post
    If they were 100% wind powered, that would mean that The Planet is 100% wind powered.

Seeing as that's not something The Planet advertises, and it's something completely implausible from the amount of power that they draw vs. the current quantity of wind generation plants in Texas, it's unlikely that HostGator is 130% wind powered as they claim.
    Hostgator double-buys their electricity - once to pay The Planet, and then they buy 130% of whatever they use and it goes into the grid. Technically, they are, as that's how an offset works.

Right now, unless you have an actual solar or wind station private set up, that's how just about *all* renewable energy purchases work, whether you do it by offset or by paying your power company, because grids are communal. AISO is one exception, but they're "off-grid" - their set up is 100% private. The rest of us in major data centers aren't in the same boat as far as even having the option, so we have to accomplish it in other ways.

Example: My house is powered by Pedernales Electric Coop. I can pay a regular amount and get "regular energy", or I can pay a premium rate, and be guaranteed 100% renewable energy (which I do). The way that works is that whatever energy I use, they guarantee by contract that they will buy that same amount over what they normally would have bought and will put it into their grid. Someone 5 or 10 miles away likely got "my" zap, but that renewable energy zap wouldn't have been in the grid if I didn't pay a premium to put it in there.

Green tags for actual energy are finite (one tag is assigned to one specific zap of energy, and that zap is technically yours), and works in the same way - once your tag is purchased and your energy is in the grid, that zap can't be sold again to someone else, so while the "zaps" may not be going directly to HostGator, they've put green watts into the grid that would not have been there before by their purchase, even if someone else is using them.

What that does is elevate the ratio of renewable to non-renewable energy in the grid, and that's why they're green and wind powered (as long as they're certified). As long as you've covered all your energy use, you can say you are solar or wind powered and so on because it's going into the communal grid, meant for you, and you bought it.
    Jen Lepp

To be completly honest "green" is just a gimic which is added on as a selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by RossMcFadyen View Post
    To be completly honest "green" is just a gimic which is added on as a selling point.
    And you say that based on what, in particular? That people are not really purchasing the energy they claim, the Green-e certification is corrupt, the money going into green energy is being redirected to terrorist organizations...?

gimmick - any clever (deceptive) maneuver

So, please, enlighten me - what's deceptive about companies investing money in renewable energy? Which part is deceptive?
    Jen Lepp

Sorry wrong choice of words i was meaning it was deceptive.I was meaning that The company is not doing it because i wants to be green it does it because it will atract clientel therefore it is a selling point.

Sorry wrong choice of words i was meaning it was deceptive.I was meaning that The company is not doing it because i wants to be green it does it because it will atract clientel therefore it is a selling point.
    I am so unbelievably tired of that old slam. Honestly.

<rant>

It seems to me to be nothing more than a snarky slam against businesses that have the money to make the investment by people who don't have the money to make the investment, or who don't give a you know what about carbon neutrality or the state of this industry.

You think AISO invested all that money in being off-grid as a "marketing gimmick"? GreenGeeks went through the process of being certified a United States EPA Green Power Partner to just get a marketing angle? You think Hostgator or I or HostPapa or Dreamhost double-pays an electric bill so we can put some nature looking crap on the front of our site in hopes that we'll sell to one or two aging hippies?

Companies do things, and then they use what they do in marketing - whether that's good support, fancier servers, their data center being in a bunker, their drives being faster, their pipes being better situated, their allotments being "unlimited" (just don't check them there inode limits), their location being better situated, their people being smarter. Take your pick, find something, and spin it. That's the name of the game.

That's what marketing is. It's taking what you are and what you do and showing it off in the best possible light hoping someone will buy your stuff.

For some reason, "green" is the only thing consistently pegged as a gimmick despite the fact that no one can point to corruption, deception, embezzlement, exploitation and the claims can be easily verified as factual because all of these things are independently certified - it also seems to be said by people who seem to have absolutely no clue that our industry has a SERIOUS problem with ridiculous levels of energy consumption that has already been called out by the EPA.

Unless you know the principles of the company that decided to go green, you honestly have no clue why they did it, what their motivations were, or what their thought processes were behind doing it.

The simple fact is, though, that the ability to market it is a byproduct of addressing a serious issue that, if not addressed, may get the government(s) involved to stamp all of us into the ground with regulations no one here wants, whether its data center builders or end buyers that have a shared slice on a box. When you Google "data center energy" and you find "Data Center Report to Congress" come up, you have to step back from the spin and marketing and realize these principles of these large companies may see writing on the wall that you don't see.

If this industry as a whole doesn't get off it's collective rear end and get more efficient, governments may begin to step in and force it. Any responsible industry, any responsible company that cares about its industry, will step in and attempt to avoid that kind of forced regulation like the plague.

In 2007, the EPA said based on current growth rates by 2011 data centers nationwide would consume almost twice the amount of electricity as they did in 2006. We're beating that projection by a year, based on a new study commissioned by AMD released this week.

It shows that the amount of electricity to power the world's data center doubled in five years due to the increased demand of services like music and video downloads.

This is NOT just a marketing issue. Data Center energy consumption is growing at an exponential rate, and if you're not aware that there are serious issues with the amount of energy data centers gulp down and that the problem is growing, then you're not paying attention to the issues this industry as a whole is facing. These initiatives are attempting to address things and self-regulate before they get out of control - that's what a responsible industry and what responsible members of an industry do.

Those of us in other people's data centers have no choice but to green tag it - and you know, if I'm doing it, darn straight I'm going to market it - not just to reassure my clients that I give a damn about the environment and I notice that the EPA is staring at my industry like we're a greedy hog at the trough, but to hopefully pressure this industry to get off its collective rear before we double again.

I don't want my green tags to make me different. I want my badge of energy responsibility to be the mark of the norm in my industry, something everyone has, and a sign that I am a responsible member in addressing what is, by all accounts, a serious and growing problem.

</rant off>
    Jen Lepp

Yes, but it is nice point to contribute to the society.

If you do business, you should care to h umanity and our earth. right?

green web hosting companys show they are concerned with the environment, which is something people worldwide enjoy to see. If you are green you should activly promote it

Quote Originally Posted by fastnetspace View Post
    the real mean going green?
    In Generic, the term green is related to environment and green web hosting mean that its an environmental guided hosting.

Green web hosting can be best described as an eco-friendly alternative to traditional means of hosting. More companies are currently taking the initiative to minimize the impact data center emissions and other commonly used resources have on the environment.

In our case, we do several things to be environmentally friendly.

1) We are 100% hydroelectric.
    2) Standard hot-aisle containment for reducing wasted cooling capacity.
    3) We utilize free-cooling by intaking external cold air when the temperatures are correct.
    4) We utilize a high efficiency cooling tower, which has cut our water consumption 80%.
    5) We reduce e-waste by recycling servers.
    6) We utilize Intel Atom servers wherever possible.
    7) We recycle all shipping materials we receive. Cardboard, paper, cans, etc are recycled in accordance with Washington state law.
    8) Used packing peanuts are delivered to local shippers rather than thrown out.

It may not be much, but it's something.
    Seattle, WA - Gigabit Carrier & Network Services Provider
    Uptime | Atlas Networks

Wonder if I am green? Office as well as home are solar/wind powered and unconnected to the grid(except for phone) but my servers are not -- wouldnt want to take a chance on no power! But I have been off grid now for close to ten years.
    Sasquatch Hosting, Inc
    Check out our new look and packages!!

White Hot Arcade
    Stop and play some fun arcade games for when its time to relax!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast