* If my provider keeps charging me, can I cancel my card?

Hi,

I know there is chargeback and all, but here in our country.. I heard from my lawyer I could get sued if I charge back, and banks here generally does not approve of such actions.

Anyways, I have a really lousy windows reseller provider and I will be moving the remaining accounts out soon, since their support is no longer responding to anything I ask...

What I fear is the monthly billing will still continue, and I have no means of demanding them to end it..

Would I get into trouble if I decide to just close my cc instead?

Do they have a billing/refund policy? Most companies will not bill you as long as you cancel your service with them in advance. Just make sure they know about your cancellation request.

If their support is no longer responding, how would he know for sure they know about his cancellation request? I'd recommend, in addition to how they direct you to cancel the account, write up a cancellation letter on your letterhead and sent that - receipt requested.

When you're ready to move just update your CC info with a Test Number after you ask them to cancel you. This will allow you to just cancel the service with them and not worry about future charges.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee U.S.A Based & Operated
    Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Please do not use a real credit card with test accounts unless you run a $1.00 transaction. If you do more, your card will have the funds held by each authorization until it expires.
    Have you used this tactic before? I'm not understanding how the funds are held if there is no transaction settlement or movement of funds.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-********* View Post
    Have you used this tactic before? I'm not understanding how the funds are held if there is no transaction settlement or movement of funds.
    You use the test numbers to run test transactions, this means you can type them in any CC form without being stopped for using a fake number. Since the credit card number has no funds in it, if you update your CC info on a website such as a hosting provider that keeps charging you, you can use that number to replace your real CC info but they won't get any money if they try charging it.

Quote Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
    You use the test numbers to run test transactions, this means you can type them in any CC form without being stopped for using a fake number. Since the credit card number has no funds in it, if you update your CC info on a website such as a hosting provider that keeps charging you, you can use that number to replace your real CC info but they won't get any money if they try charging it.
    so... they will just assume you ain't paying and they will just shut you down?

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    The OP wants to know how to stop his host from charging him after he cancels his account, without cancelling his own credit card. So, using a test number to replace his CC info on their website after he cancels with them will allow him keep his current CC and not get charged in the future by them.

Depends on the provider. Some will require a proper cancellation, or else they send the outstanding bill to collections.

and I have no means of demanding them to end it..
    Submit a cancellation as detailed in their TOS. Do all you can from your end, and keep records of all your attempts. If they don't cancel the account as requested, you need to take this up to your bank. If your bank refuses to help as they should, try to take it up to Visa/Mastercard directly.

I heard from my lawyer I could get sued if I charge back
    You can get sued for anything. Maybe your lawyer wants you to sue them if they continue to bill you, instead of trying other possible, typical options. It would be good business for him. j/k

Maybe if you can tell us who this provider is we can find other ways to contact them. Do they have a phone number, mailing address, or such?

the last strategy!

close your credit card!

get another credit card!

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    Would I get into trouble if I decide to just close my cc instead?
    No.

(The credit card companies routinely issue new cards.)

try to contact your provider first,
    if not working,
    just close your credit card!

Just put in a cancelation according to their TOS and keep a copy of both their TOS and your cancelation request. You can also have your bank deny further authorizations from them after your cancelation and show them proof that you cancelled.

I think if you do all that, nobody can claim you didn't do due diligence in canceling your account and you will not have to resort to anything like chargebacks either.