Hybrid View

merchannt account

right now im using paypal's merchant tools for my customers to make payments on the hosting plans i offer. i know that its detering some potential customers from making purchases cause they have to go through paypal to make an order. can anyone recomment some good, cheap places that offer merchant tools that I can integrate directly into my site, so that customers can make credit card payments without having to go through a 3rd party. thanks

I believe the hitch to this is going to be what you mean by "without going through a third party". There are some inexpensive solutions that you could look into such as 2checkout and worldpay, if you do not want to deal with third party vendors like these, you are going to be looking at full merchant accounts which will run you anywhere from $20/month and up.
    Hendrick Networks - Technical, Security and Connectivity Solutions Built on T.R.U.S.T

www.cdgcommerce.com
    Is your best bet.
    --

Are you U.S.-based or non-U.S. in origin, Mike?

Also, you may want to peek at the E-Commerce Forum here on WHT as there are a lot of discussions related to these topics there that might be helpful to you.

Best of luck in your search for the best merchant account provider for your needs! (and thanks for the kind words, Mstar!)
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

CDGCOMMERCE.Com by far the best.
    Datums Internet Solutions, LLC
    Systems Engineering & Managed Hosting Services
    Complex Hosting Consultants

Since you are based in the US, you have more opportunities available. I would suggest checking out Paysystems if you need a third party processor.

However, you are constantly billing over $1,000 a month, consider a merchant account.

You have a few different to choose from, but your discount rate should be around 2.25%-2.35%. Also check to see if they consider hosting a high risk account - which means they might require either a deposit or a rolling reserve. If they do - keep checking. There are other processors out there whose underwriting bank do not require as such.

Understand as well that if you do get your own merchant account, you are looking for bother a payment gateway & a CC processor. You cannot have one without the other. The gateway connects you to a specific platform to verify the CC data. There is also usually a cost involved - $.30-$.35 per transaction when accessing the gateway.