Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why is DirectAdmin so secretive?!?

I have tried to search about the company behind DirectAdmin but there is just no information about the people behind the company.
    At least they are not transparent at all.No phone number.No About Us page. No description of any kind.Is this 21st century way of managing a company now?

Makes it hard to trust them.
    What if they close their doors tomorrow?
    All the lifetime license disappears?
    Superb Houston/Los Angeles Colocation: LAYERHOST.COM https://www.layerhost.com/colocation
    *not affiliated, just recommendation*

Quote Originally Posted by nokia3310 View Post
    I have tried to search about the company behind DirectAdmin but there is just no information about the people behind the company.
    At least they are not transparent at all.No phone number.No About Us page. No description of any kind.Is this 21st century way of managing a company now?

Makes it hard to trust them.
    What if they close their doors tomorrow?
    All the lifetime license disappears?
    Really?

http://www.directadmin.com/support.html

Quote Originally Posted by GCM View Post
    Okay can you tell me where phone number is.
    Address is not what i asking for. And email address for sales and support is not what transparency is. Okay.
    Superb Houston/Los Angeles Colocation: LAYERHOST.COM https://www.layerhost.com/colocation

They are also slow at approving licenses. But an email to them gets responded to in a couple of hours during normal working hours.
    FinerHosting.com - Managed VPS, Hybrid & Managed Dedicated Servers
    ~ Talk to me about our high load solutions (inc. wordpress sites) ~

Address is not what i asking for. And email address for sales and support is not what transparency is. Okay.
    Maybe they don't want you calling them.

Suite 173 3-11 Bellerose Drive, St Albert, AB T8N 1P7 Canada

Quote Originally Posted by h4wk View Post

Agreed, there isn't a need to anyways. Mark, John, and the gang are pretty fast.

Not to be rude or anything, but why does that matter? They've been around since late 2002. So they're stable from what it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Finer - Jack View Post
    They are also slow at approving licenses. But an email to them gets responded to in a couple of hours during normal working hours.
    Not when you start doing bigger bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by h4wk View Post

But i guess they want you visiting them. isn't it?

Not to be rude or anything, but why does that matter? They've been around since late 2002. So they're stable from what it appears.
    It matters so much. But if you think it doesn't then good luck setting up your business in a similar top secret fashion

It matters so much. But if you think it doesn't then good luck setting up your business in a similar top secret fashion
    They're a good set of guys so I'm not honestly seeing what your problem with their business model is if they are successful. I have a gut feeling you aren't even one of their customers directly.

Why would they take your phone call for a $14/month license? They've got better things to be doing, like working on their product.

They're a good set of guys so I'm not honestly seeing what your problem with their business model is if they are successful. I have a gut feeling you aren't even one of their customers directly.
    I don't have to be to be able to comment about it. And that's why i haven't anyways, if i will ever.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Why would they take your phone call for a $14/month license? They've got better things to be doing, like working on their product.
    First their license is not $14/month, it is $29/month.
    Then again, i guess you agree with top secret business but you aren't even practicing it.

It has nothing to do with being "top secret". What do you need to call them for? Sales/tech? Not all companies have phone numbers to call, this requires staff to handle the calls, means more expenses, let alone the fact that most tech inquiries are better off solved through a ticket or other method since it's not usually a first call resolution and requires someone to look into things.
    Last edited by elicitservers; 04-28-2011 at 05:39 PM.
    ElicitServers - Canadian hosting dedicated customer satisfaction! Shared/Reseller/VPS/Dedi/Colo
    100% redundant, 100% owned/maintained, GigE connectivity
    Offsite backups, 24/7 support (1-877-533-8993), 30-day money back | cPanel hosting

I am not sure where you got that pricing for the license, but we have been providing DirectAdmin for quite a long time and charging $9/month. A decent control panel and I have had quite a lot of positive feedback from our clients.
    Rob Hivelocity
    Home of the best cPanel pricing
    www.Hivelocity.net Datacenters in Chicago, Dallas, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, Atlanta, Tampa, Miami, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Singapore, India!

Thumbs up

First their license is not $14/month, it is $29/month.
    Then again, i guess you agree with top secret business but you aren't even practicing it.
    No I believe in getting fair service for the price. I don't sell $14/month products (shared hosting is yearly only), and honestly I wouldn't take your call if you were interested in something for $10-$30. I live in the real world where there are costs for:
    • office space
    • insurance
    • employment taxes & benefits
    • legal and accounting costs
    • staff costs

With software companies like cPanel and directadmin, you need them more than they need you. cPanel and directadmin save us from hundreds of hours worth of support requests from our clients.

There is simply no need to speak with them on the phone, that's not how they operate. Myself, I believe in excellent customer service for a fair price, and I spend at least half of each day on the phone with our excellent customers!

I really don't know why / about what are you complaining about.
    I have a few lifetime licenses from 2007, and the only support i needed is to change the license ip address.

their email support is just fine, 4-5 hours to reply.

You guys are just thinking the wrong thing.
    I didn't say DirectAdmin is bad or the worst company on earth. I only said why can't they be transparent. There are tons of companies that are transparent not even because of money or anything but because they are just transparent period.

DirectAdmin barely have anything on about us or the type of people behind the curtain or just about giving any description about anything.
    Look at Cpanel, look at Plesk you can get peoples names or phone numbers or just about anything you are looking for.

Now i understand most of you enjoy their services which is great, but if you just want to agree with everything they do because you are happy with them then gud luck.

You guys are just thinking the wrong thing.
    I didn't say DirectAdmin is bad or the worst company on earth. I only said why can't they be transparent. There are tons of companies that are transparent not even because of money or anything but because they are just transparent period.

DirectAdmin barely have anything on about us or the type of people behind the curtain or just about giving any description about anything.
    Look at Cpanel, look at Plesk you can get peoples names or phone numbers or just about anything you are looking for.

Now i understand most of you enjoy their services which is great, but if you just want to agree with everything they do because you are happy with them then gud luck.
    Your logic doesn't make any sense sad to say. I'm not sure why its necessary for them to transparent? Companies don't exist to be your friend. What it sounds like is you're pre-maturely judging them by a webpage with no experience dealing with the team. They aren't shady or hiding behind a certain like you suggest.

Their business model works if you don't like it, don't use them. Others have had no problem

Your logic doesn't make any sense sad to say.
    Well thanks.

While I agree they could benefit from some more "transparency", if they're content with business as it is now, then there's no real reason to change.

Not when you start doing bigger bulk.
    I have 6 licenses and have instant license modification and approval
    AS395558

Why do you need to "call" a software company? You DON'T
    Now, if this were, say a dedicated server or hosting company, absolutely, they must be available via phone. However, there's no need to be on the phone with these guys (a software company).
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

They are primarily a business-to-business company which sells control panel software to web hosting companies.

They don't want customers of those web hosting companies calling them for support, and are probably not interested in orders for a single server from end users, which is why they don't list a phone number.

It says on their homepage that its intended for hosting companies, so they expect their customers to be technically knowledgeable.

Their homepage also says they have phone support, I guess they only tell you the number after you purchase.
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com

The OP is obviously trolling.
    VimHost >> 30 Days Backup | cPanel + LiteSpeed + JetBackup | DMCA FREE!
    20 Years in business ~ Premium Hosting in Toronto, Canada ~ 151 Front Street (Canadian owned and operated)

I completely agree with this. A way better control panel than cpanel or webmin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hivelocity View Post
    I am not sure where you got that pricing for the license, but we have been providing DirectAdmin for quite a long time and charging $9/month. A decent control panel and I have had quite a lot of positive feedback from our clients.
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast