Question Migrating a CPanel server, Migrating Nameservers

Hello,

I need to migrate a cpanel server from a datacenter to another.

Name servers have been NS1.domain.com and NS2.domain.com on old server.

Now that I am trying to create the same nameservers on new server they resolve back to IP addresses of old server. As a result I can not create nameservers as NS1 and NS2 on new server and I am forced to create them as NS3 and NS4.

Is there anyway that I can setup nameservers as NS1 and NS2 on new server before changing IP addresses registrations with my domain registrar?

Regards,
    Mac

set up new nameservers ns3/4
    I am now happily selling Natural Herbal Hair Oil - happy to be so far removed from technology!

don't care with that info, go to your registrar and change IP of NS1/NS2 - your DNS will work on your NEW server. You can check IP of your DNS at www.Internic.net with option Nameserver (ex. ns.example.com or 192.16.0.192) after 24-72hours since you changing.
    * Reseller of Sagonet.com
    *** Web Design, Web Development, Web hosting services since 1999
    **** We are in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam - Welcome to Vietnam

Balaji, thank you. This is exactly what I have done now but as I do not have access to domains of all customers I will need to ask them modify their nameservers. This is why I am trying to use the same nameservers again on new server.

SalanHost,

I think I will need to wait until my ne IP addresses propagate to be able to set them on new CPanel Server ? Isn't it? (It seems server does a lookup on nameserver IPs)

Isn't there anyway to fake server? For example I may be able to setup two 'A' records which point NS1 and NS2 to new IP addresses so that when it tries to lookup NS1.domain.com and NS2.domain.com it finds out that they are on new server. (My resolv.conf points to new server's DNS server).

Mac

Originally posted by wmac

SalanHost,

I think I will need to wait until my ne IP addresses propagate to be able to set them on new CPanel Server ? Isn't it? (It seems server does a lookup on nameserver IPs)

Mac
    Yes Sir

Originally posted by wmac

SalanHost,

Isn't there anyway to fake server? For example I may be able to setup two 'A' records which point NS1 and NS2 to new IP addresses so that when it tries to lookup NS1.domain.com and NS2.domain.com it finds out that they are on new server. (My resolv.conf points to new server's DNS server).

Mac
    Yes too
    * Reseller of Sagonet.com
    *** Web Design, Web Development, Web hosting services since 1999
    **** We are in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam - Welcome to Vietnam

edit the dns zones of your clients to point to the new IPs. Then restart bind. The IP change will be instant. Then change your nameservers to point to the new server and set them up with the new IPs on the new server.

1.Move clients to new server
    2.change dns zones to point to new IPs on old server
    3.restart bind
    4.change nameservers IP with registrar
    5.setup nameservers on new server

This will ensure no downtime as well as a transparent move for your clients. Hope that helps.