Thread: r1soft

r1soft

I don't really know where should I post but I am wonder what do you guys think of r1soft? Is it a good solution to backup websites? And any comments on this?

Thanks.
    Off Topic Forum - An Off Topic discussion Forum.

Great product, has saved a few our clients rear ends in the past.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

All I can say is wicked. Very easy to use, few times I deleted a file by mistake and just simply clicked to restore and got my file back

R1soft itself rocks, however, there are a few caveats. I had a lot of problems with trying to restore files using it. My server was in the Caro.net facility in Charlotte, and the backup server was in Chicago. The restore was very slow and had issues. So, I wouldn't try a long distance relationship

I also had problems with Rsync, but I've since chosen backup providers that are close to my server, and that's alleviated all of my problems. I'm not sure whether the problem was provider related, or a problem with the distance.

Other than that, R1Soft is nice.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

R1soft is an awesome product. The only problem we've had with it was doing a bare metal restore... for some reason it didn't want to take, but their tech support came through and got it done.

I'd recommend them.
    Blesta - Professional Billing Software
    We are about creating good experiences
    Trial - Demo | 866.478.7567 | Twitter @blesta

Overall, I think the software rocks. I had to rebuild a few blade servers with larger drives. I re-installed CentOS on the larger drives, re-installed the R1 agent and the restore was flawless. I have never tried done a restore across another network so I can't comment on that.

I have a question about it. I wonder does it mirror the whole server? What happen if the database fail or corrupt, is it possible to restore it? Do I need to MYSQL addon for it to work if I need to backup the database and the files.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DT-Spirit View Post
    I have a question about it. I wonder does it mirror the whole server? What happen if the database fail or corrupt, is it possible to restore it? Do I need to MYSQL addon for it to work if I need to backup the database and the files.

Thanks.
    You don't need the mysql addon as mySQL is pretty good in recovering itself. So if you were to restore you would simply be repairing the databases afterwords.

Unless you are running a very large database then there is no point in the mySQL addon as you will repair instead in very little time.

We mainly use the mysql addon for very large databases to avoid the innodb log recovery which would take several hours to complete ontop of the restore time.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

Quote Originally Posted by DT-Spirit View Post

Thanks.
    It does back up the whole server at the block level, but the minimum amount you can back up is a partition. If you want the bare metal restore option you need to back up everything. You don't *need* the MySQL Addon, however there is a risk of database corruption which in most cases can be fixed using MySQL repair. So, it's a good idea to use the addon if can afford it.

We have about 15 R1soft licenses and 2 or 3 of the MySQL addons. Their support has been stellar, they really seem to get it. I'm looking forward to CDP version 3, which I'm told will be out early next year. I know this because they called be a couple days ago to follow up and see how we've been doing.
    Blesta - The Billing Platform for Hosting Providers
    Client Management, Billing, & Support Software
    Trial - Demo | 714-923-7325 | Twitter @blesta

Does it work if someone hacked into the server and delete the database? Is it possible to restore the database?

Thanks.

You can rm -Rf / the entire server and then restore the entire server from R1Soft backups....

Time taken to restore is dependent on many factors such as location of the backup server, it not failing at ~65%, etc.

Like anything it's not perfect, the biggest issue I have seen is people complaining that the restore time is too long. They have said that should be considerably lessened with version 3.

It's still a fantastic solution.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by pphillips View Post
    We have about 15 R1soft licenses and 2 or 3 of the MySQL addons. Their support has been stellar, they really seem to get it. I'm looking forward to CDP version 3, which I'm told will be out early next year. I know this because they called be a couple days ago to follow up and see how we've been doing.
    At this point I'm skeptical it'll be released. They've been talking about v3 for a year and still nothing. The release dates on the road map are ever changing: http://wiki.r1soft.com/display/TP/CDP+Product+Road+Map

The public beta of single server is now in October it was originally set to be out in April.

Now as for the topic at hand we use it and for the most part it's really good but there are issues.

1) Fragmentation of disk safes is a big issue. It causes the disk safes to slow down as they get older. That means slower restores and backups. We use XFS now to hopefully make the issue less of a problem.

2) Lingering bugs not resolved some being claimed to not be fixed until v3 (who knows when that'll come out). One annoyance for us is user restores some times cause the buagent to hang and we reported this I think almost 6 months ago and it's still not fixed.

3) Support is slow at times for issues.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

The software is good when it works, however, if you are interested in reasonable fast support, you should search somewhere else. We have a problem with one server license, and we got an answer 72 hours after submit a ticket, about another issue, we opened a "critical" ticket, and after over 30 hours, the issue is not resolved, response time goes from 19 hours to 7.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    The software is good when it works, however, if you are interested in reasonable fast support, you should search somewhere else. We have a problem with one server license, and we got an answer 72 hours after submit a ticket, about another issue, we opened a "critical" ticket, and after over 30 hours, the issue is not resolved, response time goes from 19 hours to 7.

Hmmm... 72 hours is too long but we never experienced this.

Most of the time, it is 8 hours. Just try to bump the ticket :-)

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Hmmm... 72 hours is too long but we never experienced this.
    the issue has been already resolved, and the priority was set to "low" when I created the ticket. However, the "critical" priority ticket still remains unresolved.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I can't believe how bad this guys are for support, I'm pretty pissed now. The ticket still is critical, their last response was 14 hours ago, and probably they don't work at night, so, I guess that I'll need to wait another 6-8 hours for another response.

Issue still unresolved, 24 hours without any response from them while the last was and auto-response saying "We have received the update you made to your issue. Thank you for getting back to us."
    In resume, their support is worst every day.

When I implemented R1Soft about a year and a half ago (so these issues have probably been fixed now, but just in case) I remember the Windows agent just wasn't up to par compared to the Linux agent, in terms of reliability and resources used. I think the Windows agent was still fairly new at that point though.

Main gripe I had with them is that they seemed to have more effective sales staff than they did support, but thats just an observation - I didn't deal with them that much, so I could be mistaken.