Moving to Another Host Provider and Choosing a Good Host

I need some assistance choosing a web hosting. Too many options exist with a huge disparate in price and service. I have researched web hosting several times (over a number of years), yet never made the commitment due to the sheer volume of information. Now, my email address is changing due to the Time Warner/Adelphia buyout. Even though I already have a gmail account, a personal domain may serve me better on my business cards.

Basically, I am looking for a low cost web solution with reliable POP email. My research through Anandtech has found some bargain basement deals. Yet positive and negative comments exist for every low-cost firm. The companies include dreamhost, netfirms, and 1and1.com. Anyway, low cost hosters have their caveats, yet I am hoping to hedge my risks; or upgrade to the next level through suggestions on this forum.

My goals involve creating a personal website for employers to review my resume. These goals also including a howto wiki, photo database for family and friends, and a content management solution(post Nuke or comparable). My site may utilize mySQL, PHP, and python. I do not expect much traffic in the first year. So my thoughts are to go the cheapo route my first year; then switch after the end of the promotion period.

What considerations should one make when going from one host to the next one? Could someone share a tutorial on moving a database site from one host to another?

What domain registrar offers easy transfer and low cost renewal? I already lost my previous domain after it expired and buydomains.com took it. I wonder if it had something to do with registrar, GoDaddy.com.

How does one avoid automatic renewals when giving CC numbers?

Please send me a private message if you could share some personal insights or horror stories. Good web hosting is a popular topic on the forum. Information is plentiful, yet personal research does overcome experience. Please help me gain this insight.

Quote Originally Posted by robertnevill
    Even though I already have a gmail account, a personal domain may serve me better on my business cards.
    Yes, this will look 100% more professional.

Basically, I am looking for a low cost web solution with reliable POP email. My research through Anandtech has found some bargain basement deals. Yet positive [and negative comments exist for every low-cost firm. The companies include dreamhost, netfirms, and 1and1.com. Anyway, low cost hosters have their caveats, yet I am hoping to hedge my risks; or upgrade to the next level through suggestions on this forum.
    Well I am sure you are aware of the good ole saying " you get what you pay for " I would suggest looking at reviews about these companies perhaps on WHT or http://www.whreviews.com or even google these companies for possible reviews.

My goals involve creating a personal website for employers to review my resume. These goals also including a howto wiki, photo database for family and friends, and a content management solution(post Nuke or comparable). My site may utilize mySQL, PHP, and python. I do not expect much traffic in the first year. So my thoughts are to go the cheapo route my first year; then switch after the end of the promotion period.
    Doesn't seem like it will use up too much resource or bandwidth for that matter, so any small to mid sized hosting plan that has MySQL, PHP and Python should suit you just fine. small

What considerations should one make when going from one host to the next one? Could someone share a tutorial on moving a database site from one host to another?
    The web hosting you are moving to should be able to transfer this for you. However, if not then a simple cpmove should be just fine or Remote FTP in your control panel through backups will do this well also.

What domain registrar offers easy transfer and low cost renewal? I already lost my previous domain after it expired and buydomains.com took it. I wonder if it had something to do with registrar, GoDaddy.com.
    yes Godaddy will sell or "auction" your domain name off after it expires and you do not claim it.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Do you know aprox. how much space are you going to use? Bandwidth I tend to think that is going to be minimal.

Things that I would considered if I choose a host, of course, I would try to get the max. possible for my money, but since it seems like you're not going to use a lot of space and/or bandwidth, you must target your search to uptime, customer services, support. Althrough, you'll see a lot of hosts who seems to be equals, you may want to research about them, there are many fly-by-the-night host, or hosts offering tons of resources, but giving crappy to none support and uptime.
    Years in the business is something that you may want to considered too, not only because that usually is synonymous of experience, but also, give you some kind of peace of mind that's not going to disappear tomorrow.

I use Enom and Doster (mostly enom). Enom sent you an email 45 days before to the expiration letting you know about this. You have plenty time to renew it.

Hosting? domain renewal? both?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by robertnevill
    I need some assistance choosing a web hosting. Too many options exist with a huge disparate in price and service. I have researched web hosting several times (over a number of years), yet never made the commitment due to the sheer volume of information. Now, my email address is changing due to the Time Warner/Adelphia buyout. Even though I already have a gmail account, a personal domain may serve me better on my business cards.

Basically, I am looking for a low cost web solution with reliable POP email. My research through Anandtech has found some bargain basement deals. Yet positive and negative comments exist for every low-cost firm. The companies include dreamhost, netfirms, and 1and1.com. Anyway, low cost hosters have their caveats, yet I am hoping to hedge my risks; or upgrade to the next level through suggestions on this forum.

Please send me a private message if you could share some personal insights or horror stories. Good web hosting is a popular topic on the forum. Information is plentiful, yet personal research does overcome experience. Please help me gain this insight.
    If E-mail is important, you may want to choose a host that can give your own IP.
    DreamHost can do that, but it will cost like $3.95 / month, more.
    There are hosts who can provide IP for $2, I think.
    When you use shared hosting, the IP can be blocked for spamming if one of your neighbor happens to be a spammer or don't know well about e-mail and does careless promotion.
    The frequence of such events and other bad experiece may depends on which server you land.
    If you have a bad feeling whan you start to use the account, don't wait too long.
    Cancel or request to be moved to other server. (Some host will let you move, whil others wouldn't, though)

If you know enough about managing server, cheap VPS might be a good choice.
    They start aroung $8, but you can't really use heavy PHP/MySQL apps, most probably.

Moving sites are easy, IMO.
    I have moved several times without much problem.
    But it depends on how you setup your site, and the level of your experiences.
    There are many people who find it very hard.

Some DB based apps can be moved simply by dumping and resotring DB, which can be done with the control panel of hosts or by a small simple one liner script or using SSH, and copyting remaining files.
    Then you may need to change things such as the name of Database server, path for passwordfile in .htaccess (if you use password protection), and other path/server dependant setups if any.

If you have free time to play/learn about hosting, I would suggest having a backup site.
    It will allow you to compare hosts, and also learn about setting up/moving your site.
    Also, having a backup site let you stay cool when something bad happens to the primary host, and give you more time to choose next host when you decide to move.

El cheapo host can be a good backup solution.
    Last edited by extras; 11-16-2006 at 02:04 AM.

yes Godaddy will sell or "auction" your domain name off after it expires and you do not claim it.
    What is a good registrar that does not sell your expired domains?

I use Enom and Doster (mostly enom). Enom sent you an email 45 days before to the expiration letting you know about this. You have plenty time to renew it.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

If E-mail is important, you may want to choose a host that can give your own IP.
    Here’s a new area for me. So if I land on server with a spammer, then my email could end up as spam. This scenario could happen on any shared server plan. How do I check for bad ips? Should I find a host to provide me a free ip if necessary? Let me know if you have any suggestions?

Email is important for contacting potential clients; but it will not be spammer related material. My budget is about $5 a month for the first year. Disk space and transfer are nominal, yet I prefer the best value possible. My picture albums occupy approximately 3gigs with 50 people viewing them over the month. In addition, I plan on placing technical twiki area and typical howto Photoshop tutorials. Bandwidth will be minimal, yet may grow in the future. What would you recommended as some benchmarks for disk usage and bandwidth?

Does the Control Panel really matter? I noticed that many web host plan include a propriety panel while cPanel remains a common standard with other hosters.

If you have free time to play/learn about hosting, I would suggest having a backup site.
    Great suggestion! I will definitely explore this option. This website will help me learn more about web development.

What is a good registrar that does not sell your expired domains?
    Enom in my opinion is a great registrar.

Does the Control Panel really matter? I noticed that many web host plan include a propriety panel while cPanel remains a common standard with other hosters.
    Only if it matters to you. If you're familiar with a particular control panel, then you would go with that

Here’s a new area for me. So if I land on server with a spammer, then my email could end up as spam. This scenario could happen on any shared server plan. How do I check for bad ips? Should I find a host to provide me a free ip if necessary? Let me know if you have any suggestions?
    You can ask the web host to provide you with the IP address before signing up.

I would recommend searching on www.findmyhosting.com or www.hostsearch.com then just do some research on them here at WHT

I can add that it is wise to make sure your domains are renewed automatically. Some registrars can do that, I don't remember if GoDaddy does.

You seem afraid of automatic renewals - well, they are a great way of avoiding issues like domain loss....
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Nadabrahma
    I can add that it is wise to make sure your domains are renewed automatically. Some registrars can do that, I don't remember if GoDaddy does.

You seem afraid of automatic renewals - well, they are a great way of avoiding issues like domain loss....
    Yes, just checked it - GoDaddy does indeed do automatic renewal (if you select it).
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Bigger the host/server, the more risk there would be.
    But it applies only when you are sending e-mail from the host.
    If you send an e-mail from your ISP, it doesn't matter.

You can send an e-mail from the host via their smtp, or sendmail.
    When you send it using smtp, the IP of the mail server is checked against blacklist.
    When you use sendmail, it's the IP of web server (or CGI server).

Normally, a host would try to get cleared from the blacklist, but they can be listed again, if someone decide to send silly e-mail or someone's account get cracked and used by a spammer.

Personally, I don't like e-mail and I don't use it often.
    So, I don't feel the problem, so much.
    But if you want to consider e-mail as a reliable thing, then you may want to think a bit.

Email is important for contacting potential clients; but it will not be spammer related material. My budget is about $5 a month for the first year. Disk space and transfer are nominal, yet I prefer the best value possible. My picture albums occupy approximately 3gigs with 50 people viewing them over the month. In addition, I plan on placing technical twiki area and typical howto Photoshop tutorials. Bandwidth will be minimal, yet may grow in the future. What would you recommended as some benchmarks for disk usage and bandwidth?
    Honestly, I don't know.
    You can get an account with DreamHost and test it.
    They have 97days money back guarantee.
    If you are lucky, you can experience some mail and web problem and understand what I'm saying better, too.
    For the first year, it will only cost under $3.

All hosts I have used had different control panel.
    So, for me, it doesn't matter.
    Personally, I don't like cPanel ( I used it when I had an account with LunarPages).

Most of things can be done with very simple script, by your self, anyway.
    And how-to information is available for most common (and some uncommon) subject on the web.

If you are willing to learn, it's very interesting and cost nothing (other than your time).

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    When you use shared hosting, the IP can be blocked for spamming if one of your neighbor happens to be a spammer or don't know well about e-mail and does careless promotion.
    The frequence of such events and other bad experiece may depends on which server you land.
    This is a ridiculous suggestion when it comes to shared hosting, since 99% of the time, even if your site has a dedicated IP address, the mail will still be seen as coming from the server IP address. It therefore makes little difference whether your own site has a dedicated IP or not. Any provider who does nothing about spam issues isn't going to do anything about them regardless of what your IP is.

Quote Originally Posted by thetimehascome
    This is a ridiculous suggestion when it comes to shared hosting, since 99% of the time, even if your site has a dedicated IP address, the mail will still be seen as coming from the server IP address. It therefore makes little difference whether your own site has a dedicated IP or not. Any provider who does nothing about spam issues isn't going to do anything about them regardless of what your IP is.
    Hmm ... That's true.
    Thank you for correcting me.

I was somehow thinking about the IP for webserver to be used for mail services,
    but as you said, it's not so in shared host.
    If we use sendmail, regardless of the IP of the virtualhost, the common IP of the webserver is shown.
    In case of SMTP, it won't make any diference.

I'm not sure about some hosts (like westhost), though.
    But possibly they still use common smtp and sendmail.

So, small VPS account might be the cheapest solution for having own IP for outgoing mail, unless someone else comes up with other ideas.

I did a bit of search since I felt responsible for giving wrong advice.

I thought it might be possible to bind the IP of virtualhost with the sendmail or whatever sending the mail.
    It seems postfix has something for that, but it doesn't look very practical for most shared host.
    Maybe there are known easy methods, and someone can show that.
    Maybe not.

With something that allows users to send their mail from own IP, hosts should be able to SELL more unique IP.

Other than that, there are always specialized services.
    I saw this while I was searching.
    http://www.changeip.com/email/addStorage.asp

I don't know how good these services are, though.
    And they can also get listed in the black list, I guess.

Although true that eMail is usually shown as coming from the IP of the Server itself, it is also true that a Dedicated IP can prevent problems with sites like; Hotmail, AOL, Yahoo, etc. Sometimes, for their own reasons, they will kick back eMail from a Shared IP. With a Dedicated one can also setup their own SPF record which is quite handy.

As to a good Hoster, best advice is to start making a list, and checking it twice.

Spreadsheet format might be best as you can detail why you like, don't like, someone Service. Once you have a shortlist of about 5 names you start getting serious. Contact them by eMail, phone, whatever, and ask a few questions about their packages. That should give who to start with now and who to immediately move to, if plan B is required. And don't lose that list!

With any potential Hoster, Features / Price / Support can be checked out before signing up. The last point to consider, Service or Uptime, cannot usually be determined until one actually starts using it.

To help overcome that, there are various places that provide Free or Paid uptime monitoring and the following three provide both:

http://easymonitor.com/
    http://siteuptime.com/
    http://host-tracker.com/

Using a combination of all on one Hoster or each on different Hosters, can give you a good idea on their Service before using them. And, as people are quick to complain and slow to praise -- just the way we are I guess -- look for a Forum at your potential Hoster. Reading through various posts will give a good idea of how other people judge the Hoster along with how they reply to posts.

Overall, research and patience are two important tools when checking most things, Hosting or otherwise.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Personally, I don't like cPanel ( I used it when I had an account with LunarPages).

Why did you leave Lunarpages? They are on my short list of potential hosts.

ive heard good stuff about lunarpages but not to worry as he may have left for personal reasons or just wanted change and well he didnt like cpanel :-)

In regard to email:

Many sites receive a lot of spam to existing and not-existing accounts wasting resources because of the number of stored messages in the mail queue.

One solution could be using email aliases pointing to external, even free accounts, without jeopardizing your domain. You can even use your own domain working with an alias server (USA $20= a year) so you would use your domain for email without wasting your server resources.

And one protection for outgoing forged messages could be generating an SPF record for your account (free)

These two items would protect up to some degree from incoming and outgoing forged spam.
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"