Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traffic

Here is one thing I thought when I first saw your site...

The name is One Man Host, but you offer "real 24/7 support". The name of the business and the support promise somewhat collide.

And at $3/year? What do you value your time at? You deal with a customer more than a couple of minutes during the course of the year and your entire profit margin is gone.
    Ken Robertson | Linked Labs | linkedlabs.com

We do not want to be a fly by night host.
    What are some suggestions you can offer then?

We are limiting advertising to word of mouth and other forms that don't cost us a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by OneManHost View Post
    We do not want to be a fly by night host.
    What are some suggestions you can offer then?

We are limiting advertising to word of mouth and other forms that don't cost us a lot of money.
    Start being realistic, Not many people buy annual hosting plans just upfront like that because they want to try the host out first, so they opt for monthly hosting first.

After all what use would an annual hosting plan be to one if he hates it after the first month ?
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

We do offer a Money Back Guarantee.

And anyway, I am re-doing our plans so we have monthly options available.

Seriously, wish you the best of luck, but the reality is you *will* be in for a rude awakening down the road.

You shouldn't base your business pricing on the cost of a reseller account. No matter the quality of the host, a reseller plan will not scale as your business grows. Your prices are not sustainable long term. I've heard of advertising costs in terms of $50+/customer, meaning a host gets 1 new signup for every $50 spent on advertising. At that rate, you're looking at 15+ years to recoup costs.

Everything sounds like you are the kid in the thread with big aspirations for your first business. I'd suggest scoping out some of the larger hosts on here and shadow them. Watch what they offer, see what they use, and price out actual servers or VPSes as you'd eventually need to be there.
    Ken Robertson | Linked Labs | linkedlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by OneManHost View Post
    We do offer a Money Back Guarantee.

And anyway, I am re-doing our plans so we have monthly options available.
    So does everyother host, but can you really afford to be giving money back to clients ?

Like i said 50 clients on a reseller plan is pushing it.

at the 10 - 20 client mark i would be looking at vps options.
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Qgyen View Post
    Seriously, wish you the best of luck, but the reality is you *will* be in for a rude awakening down the road.

You shouldn't base your business pricing on the cost of a reseller account. No matter the quality of the host, a reseller plan will not scale as your business grows. Your prices are not sustainable long term. I've heard of advertising costs in terms of $50+/customer, meaning a host gets 1 new signup for every $50 spent on advertising. At that rate, you're looking at 15+ years to recoup costs.

Everything sounds like you are the kid in the thread with big aspirations for your first business. I'd suggest scoping out some of the larger hosts on here and shadow them. Watch what they offer, see what they use, and price out actual servers or VPSes as you'd eventually need to be there.
    Thanks, as per your suggestions (and uk_lad's) I am doing some restructuring.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_lad View Post
    So does everyother host, but can you really afford to be giving money back to clients ?

Like i said 50 clients on a reseller plan is pushing it.

at the 10 - 20 client mark i would be looking at vps options.
    As per above, I am restructuring. I agree that over 15 or so clients on reseller is pushing it, so I am in the process of changing our prices and outlooks to acknowledge the fact that we will need to upgrade soon.

Thread cleaned. Let's stay on topic folks.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12