Question HELP! -- Firewall OK - NAT OK - DNS OK - Internal/NAT IP translation FAILED --

I have a firewall setup that is correctly translating my static NAT setup over to the mail, dns, web servers. I set the web servers up to access the DNS with the internal (untranslated, RFC 1918 addresses NAT) IP's and they are serving up fine.

The following services are working great:

* External DNS
    * Web
    * POP/Web Mail
    * Hosting Controller
    * FTP
    * Telnet

The problem I am having is that Mail Enable SMTP is trying to look itself up in the DNS and is grabbing the external IP which will not respond properly.

I have tried putting in fake records in the DNS to give Mail Enable acccess to its internal address. I have tried using the HOSTS file as well.

After searching the Net a bit, it looks as if large corporations have primary/secondary public DNS servers - and then they set up an internal primary private DNS server that translates all of the internal addresses and forwards all unresolved requests to the public servers.

Is this the only way to go? If I implement this procedure - does it seem like it will actually work? For some reason I feel as if this won't work either. If this would work - one would think the HOSTS file or the fake DNS records would have worked as well.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!
    Last edited by NetworkCloset; 09-18-2004 at 11:04 PM.

Hi, NetworkCloset.
    Unfortunately I have no experience with "Mail Enable SMTP", but are you supplying it with the hostname of your mail server at any point? Can you substitute this with the internal IP of your mail server instead?

Also when is it looking itself up? When mail is sent to it? Do you have to manually tell it what domains it should be accepting mail for?

Brian
    Last edited by Changeling; 09-18-2004 at 11:25 PM.
    Colynx, LLC. (http://www.colynx.com)
    Providing inexpensive Web, email, DNS hosting, and more. Now offering $8/yr domain registrations. Name your own price for hosting. Hosting should be on YOUR terms.

Mail Enable is the mail software. Everything works on it except for the SMTP service. It is unable to interact with DNS (probably because of the NAT.)

I have tried specifying the internal IP - but it did not work either. That is why I went down the HOSTS and fake DNS entry paths as well.

Here are the 2 errors that are coming up in the diagnostics:

Local Mail Domain Resolution Test (mail.networkcloset.com) Error: Could not resolve your Local Domain Name in DNS. You should change the local domain name to a domain name that is registered in DNS. This setting is found in the MMC under the properties of the SMTP Connector Error: Could not resolve DNS. (10013) Fail

The DNS settings used by the SMTP Connector have caused tests to 'Fail'. Some diagnostic tests have been skipped. Please review your configuration and re-run this utility. Fail

I can't ping mail.networkcloset.com - but I have been able to change things around with a HOSTS file and such to where I can ping this address, and the server *STILL* reports the same error.

AH!

Thanks for having me take ANOTHER LOOK!

I changed the DNS entries back to Internal #'s - and noticed my local domain name had MAIL. in front of it. I removed that and put the Internal #'s in and everything is A-OK!

WOOT!

Great!

Glad I could... uh... whatever.
    Colynx, LLC. (http://www.colynx.com)
    Providing inexpensive Web, email, DNS hosting, and more. Now offering $8/yr domain registrations. Name your own price for hosting. Hosting should be on YOUR terms.