RocketVPS, a Knownhost company: burstable RAM?

Recently Knownhost launched their sister company, RocketVPS which is basically the same that KH but in an isolated DC in Virginia and with unmanaged service. But there is a key difference between them: KH offers SLM RAM (guaranteed) while Rocket offers UBC RAM (guaranteed + burstable). KH uses Virtuozzo while Rocket uses OpenVZ.

KH knows very well that a VPS with SLM RAM performs better compared to an UBC based VPS. So the question is: why they went this way? I'll love to see RocketVPS plans offering SLM RAM however having them offering UBC burstable RAM is a party-stopper for me and for many potential customers I think. Do OpenVZ support SLM RAM assignment only?

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by imthebest; 04-08-2012 at 11:34 AM.

What's their VPS platform? Xen or OpenVZ?

My guess is that they have seen both demand and requests for an unmanaged service and that's pushed them to launch a separate brand to service this market.

Simply put I am sure there aware of the differences, however one solution fits the managed service, while the other setup fits their unmanaged service 'better'.

It's almost certainly a calculated choice on their part.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

I'll love to see RocketVPS plans offering SLM RAM however having them offering UBC burstable RAM is a party-stopper for me and for many potential customers I think.
    Have you actually tried RocketVPS? I was skeptical too at first because I have never been a big fan of OpenVZ, but I can honestly say this is the best performing openvz vps I have ever had. and trust me I have tried at least 10-15 other providers over the last few years.

For the price you really get a great performing vps.
    Kevin Kopp - MonsterMegs Business Class Hosting Services
    Pure SSD Powered Shared, Reseller, and Enterprise Hosting Solutions
    US & NL Locations :: [US] PhoenixNAP | [NL] EvoSwitch Datacenters

Although OpenVZ is notorious for being exploited for overselling, you will never find such case happen in RocketVPS.

There's no problem with the UBC method as long as the host keeps an eye on it.

OpenVZ is only bad when mismanaged. The same is true of Virtuozzo. When your host is paying attention, instead of simply collecting your money, then you don't really have anything to worry about. At most, you may have to report abuse, but good hosts respond by handling the node abuser.

I don't have an issue with OpenVZ, when used for websites (not apps), at good hosts.

The problem is simply finding a good host. I'd trust Knownhost, and their sub-brands.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||