Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Watch for these Fraud Signups

Webhost watch for this fraud...

The domains used so far arehell-en.us and usr-lgn.us

The person is using the name and ID of a Barbara Skoglund. Ms. Skoglund is innocent. Someone is using her ID and credit card.

This guy is good, he's even registerd her information at Network Solutions.

Keep your eyes open.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

thanks for the headsup

Not the same person or reasons, but another user to beware of:

Domain: id-update.com
    Using a qwest.net e-mail account (For Paypal)
    Using an AOL e-mail (For secondary account)
    IP used for signup: 172.138.146.245
    Request was for an account with addon dedicated IP.

When viewing the domain, it currently reads:

You have reached this page because ID-UPDATE.COM has been shut down for violating our terms of service. You may have almost been the victim of a Phishing Scam.

Checkout this thread I have ips and domains also.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=280334
    Damn guy tries 5 or 6 times a day
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax

This has been a bad week for this. I have been hit with orders from Asia one after another all fraud but I got them in time. TOS violations week as well. Five different sites just this week decided to break the terms.

Oh well you get them all at once I guess.

Re: Watch for these Fraud Signups

Originally posted by mgphoto

The person is using the name and ID of a Barbara Skoglund. Ms. Skoglund is innocent. Someone is using her ID and credit card.

Keep your eyes open.
    Got exactly the same guy.... Also contacted Mrs Skoglund for it. I think the guy is either close to the victim or managed to get data from the bank.

Someone must have said this, but why is there not a website dedicated to this?

Kind Regards,

James Parmee Morris
    PhoneSupportWorldwide.com
    Web Hosting Telephone Customer Services
    Telephone: 0800 310 2729 - Blog: Click here

Thanks for the warnings.
    Method Five :: Providing Web Hosting Since 2001

We no longer accept auto signups. Too much fraud. Instead, our order comes into us and we are notified via pager. We then do a reverse lookup on the source IP and check it against the credit card billing address. If it matches or is close, we consider it valid and charge the card. IF the order is over $100, we do a telephone confirmation. This has nearly reduced our fraud to zero. Before, it was thousands of dollars per month. Takes extra effort, but it is worth it. Our customers realizle that it takes a bit longer to get their account setup, but most do not seem to mind.

Did you log their IP address when they placed an order? If you do, share it and other web hosts can block it as well if they order with different domain names.
    Website Hosting - Search For Your Next Web Host.
    Web Hosting Software - Web Hosting Related Software and Products Directory.

Keep your eyes open.

sounds dad. I dont accept CC, so no problems here.
    Last edited by jerry12304; 06-25-2004 at 01:25 AM.
    ... ... [dd@s]

Originally posted by wscreate
    We no longer accept auto signups. Too much fraud. Instead, our order comes into us and we are notified via pager. We then do a reverse lookup on the source IP and check it against the credit card billing address. If it matches or is close, we consider it valid and charge the card. IF the order is over $100, we do a telephone confirmation. This has nearly reduced our fraud to zero. Before, it was thousands of dollars per month. Takes extra effort, but it is worth it. Our customers realizle that it takes a bit longer to get their account setup, but most do not seem to mind.
    Good way. I will try to do the same.
    Namespro.ca - Lowest Price Canadian Domain Registrar. CIRA certified.
    We serve Canada right and we like to drink beer .

We actually call every new signup before we setup the account. That's how we caught this person. I get free long distance on my cell phone so it doesn't cost a thing. It saves a lot of headaches down the road.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

Originally posted by wscreate
    The people who want auto-signup so bad and will complain about waiting for account setup are usually the people who fraud...with minor exceptions.
    Pierre Grandmaison
    Offering 24/7 Toll Free Telephone Support
    Zenutech Web Hosting
    http://www.zenutech.com

Here is another one. nguoitacunoi.com

This guy got me for $154 but thank god the real credit card owner called me before the funds were captured. Anyhow, I have most of this guys info so if you are this guy and reading this expect the police to be paying you a visit.

So far, I have collected names, address, etc and just waiting for his ISP to confirm the information I have.
    Carolina Hosting Services
    http://www.carolinahosting.net | @CarolinaHosting | Facebook.com/CarolinaHosting
    VMware | cPanel | Linux | Softaculous | 16 Years Hosting Experience

I also had a few before. One of 500USD and a few more of 200...
    But I learned from it. Since I start verifying everything manually and sending FRAUD DETECTION emails to the fraudsters, they stopped. At least those from Vietnam, etc.

FraudGardian helps a lot too. And whenever you got a fraud order, make sure you contact your local police dept. They will help you moving around and punishing the fraudster.

A lot of people do not know this but most countries have an Internet Delegation @ their police dept. So don't think you will be misuderstood there, they are very helpful and WANT to hear about your fraud orders.

- AF

Exclamation My first PHISHING encounter

I got my first phishing fraudster today but luckily only for a small shared $9 account. I was contacted about it 8 hours later and my network pulled the account for me. They were contacted by AZ police dept. Anyway, so everyone knows the info:
    Domain: user-en.us
    IP: 169.204.211.130 - even though it's static

The phone number listed on the order was to Bank of America!
    I just changed my WHMAP to manual setup.

BliksemHosting.com
    New! End-user support now included
    Shared-->Reseller-->Semi-Dedicated-->CO-OP-->VPS-->Dedicated
    Web Host Magazine May 2006 Editors' Choice for Reseller Web Hosting Services

damn....great info...thanks

Anytime sistah
    I never had one before so I got great info from this thread on how to prevent it. We'll no longer accept auto signups - all manual from now on. And we'll start checking the info more carefully and making phone calls to clients if things look "phishing".
    Thank you to everyone who posted tips on how to avoid fraud in this thread!
    BliksemHosting.com
    New! End-user support now included
    Shared-->Reseller-->Semi-Dedicated-->CO-OP-->VPS-->Dedicated
    Web Host Magazine May 2006 Editors' Choice for Reseller Web Hosting Services

This is a great thread, a great sense of community, and a great subject to post at WHT.

Well done!

I very much appreciate your post.
    Cheers
    Jeff
    www.idologic.com
    www.demologic.com
    A company committed to people serious about their websites - If you don't DO LOGIC - what do you do?Check Us Out

Skoglund

Actually no one close to me fraudulantly opened all these domains. I think a merchant used my cc#. Luckily it was a check card and I didn't have the $ so I got notified pretty quickly and could cancel the card. It was a real pain to get it all straightened out though. It was easy enough to get all my personal info - it's in the phone book. Ah - another reason to get unlisted the next time we move. It's too late now.

Barbara Skoglund,
    fraud victim

Is everyone getting this more often now? It has really hit us hard in the last week or so.

**EDIT** Wow - I didn't even look at the old post dates.

I had Googled myself and just found this thread. It was last year when my # was stolen and used to open 10+ web sites.

Barbara

Keep your eyes open.
    This guy tried to sign up with us as well, thanks for giving everyone else here a heads up.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Originally posted by WebspaceUK
    Someone must have said this, but why is there not a website dedicated to this?

Kind Regards,

James Parmee Morris

I couldn't agree more. We need a site. I have experience making these types of applications, but no experience with the legal aspect, which is the biggest hurdle. If anyone with legal expertise ever wants to do something about this ever-increasing problem, I'm more than happy to donate some time to help make it a reality, and I'm sure plenty of other hosts would make a contribution as well.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast