Best host for 500k-1m Users daily

Hi, I have a site that could eventually get 500k-1m users per day. These numbers my seem kind of high but websites can take off very quickly. Some of you may say start off with a shared host but if my site grows as much as I think it can I could lose alot of users early because it wouldn't be quick enough.

I have done some searching around and thought I would just post here to get some more recommendations on what would be the best host.

People have said to go for a VPS. What do you think? Who would you recommend?

I see godaddy have this:

• RAM: 2 GB
    • Storage: 60 GB‡‡
    • Bandwidth: 2,000 GB/mo

Could that cover 500k-1m per day? My pages load 1-2 images, text and sometimes a video.

Tell me what you think?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by William12 View Post
    Hi, I have a site that could eventually get 500k-1m users per day. These numbers my seem kind of high but websites can take off very quickly. Some of you may say start off with a shared host but if my site grows as much as I think it can I could lose alot of users early because it wouldn't be quick enough.

I have done some searching around and thought I would just post here to get some more recommendations on what would be the best host.

People have said to go for a VPS. What do you think? Who would you recommend?

I see godaddy have this:

• RAM: 2 GB
    • Storage: 60 GB‡‡
    • Bandwidth: 2,000 GB/mo

Could that cover 500k-1m per day? My pages load 1-2 images, text and sometimes a video.

Tell me what you think?

Thanks
    I highly doubt the VPS you are seeking will handle this much users. You'll need to be looking at dedicated servers if you want a non hassle experience.
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Re: Best host for 500k-1m Users daily

Firstly, no. Not GoDaddy. Secondly for close to 1M views you are definitely looking at a good dedicated server. Something along the lines of 1230v2 or 1240v2, around 32Gigs of RAM, preferably 2 X SSDs. If you need a large storage capacity then SAS or SATA drives would work as well.

What's your budget? You are definitely looking at something around the $150+ mark.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

I would start on a small, affordable VPS e.g. $3-10 first and build your way up. A VPS/Shared Hosting will not be able to handle almost 500/1Million views per day and you would need a dedicated server if not several.

Check out some deals below.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

From what you have said, it sounds as though you are not getting that many visitors at the moment. In which case, you may be able to start on a VPS, but I doubt a VPS will cut it once you get anywhere near to those kind visitor numbers. To handle those numbers, you would be looking for a dedicated server.
    Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Affordable Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com

Ok thanks for your replies.

At the moment the site is still in development, so I guess I could launch it on a VPS and then once/if it reaches those kind of numbers I could always upgrade my plan to a dedicated server right? That way I wont be spending more $$$ than I need at first.

I had another look around and see alot of people recommending knownhosts are any of you familiar with them?

This package fits in with my budget:

VPS-3

Fully Managed & Secured

1536MB Guaranteed RAM
    65GB RAID-10 Disk Space
    2x Priority 8+ CPUs
    3500GB Premium Bandwidth

$45 per month

Would you be able to give a rough estimate of how many visitors that could take per day?

Thanks

so I guess I could launch it on a VPS and then once/if it reaches those kind of numbers I could always upgrade my plan to a dedicated server right?
    That is exactly right

Would you be able to give a rough estimate of how many visitors that could take per day?
    I'm thinking around ~167.6342964, although you would have to wait for Keith to verify this as last time I was shown a gaping flaw in the algorithm. I have changed a few things around but would still wait for an opinion from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Host4Geeks-Kushal View Post
    Firstly, no. Not GoDaddy. Secondly for close to 1M views you are definitely looking at a good dedicated server. Something along the lines of 1230v2 or 1240v2, around 32Gigs of RAM, preferably 2 X SSDs. If you need a large storage capacity then SAS or SATA drives would work as well.

What's your budget? You are definitely looking at something around the $150+ mark.
    No way will a dedicated server do 1M daily pageviews. Be realistic. Do you have any experience of high traffic sites/applications?

A platform we built for popular news portals that did a couple of billion page views in a 12 month period had a complex 5 webserver load balanced front-end, SAN and a master/slave MySQL setup.

Another platform for a popular site but with smaller storage demands has 6 x webservers, 1 database, 1 storage with a lot of caching and software load balancers and this doesn't even do 1M a day.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    Be realistic. Do you have any experience of high traffic sites/applications?
    No, I don't. Thank you for enlightening me with your years of experience in the industry.
    Last edited by Host4Geeks-Corp; 07-06-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

Best host for 500k-1m Users daily

Ok thanks for your replies.

At the moment the site is still in development, so I guess I could launch it on a VPS and then once/if it reaches those kind of numbers I could always upgrade my plan to a dedicated server right? That way I wont be spending more $$$ than I need at first.

I had another look around and see alot of people recommending knownhosts are any of you familiar with them?

This package fits in with my budget:

VPS-3

Fully Managed & Secured

1536MB Guaranteed RAM
    65GB RAID-10 Disk Space
    2x Priority 8+ CPUs
    3500GB Premium Bandwidth

$45 per month

Thanks
    Check out Bigscoots.com their managed service is very good and their vps speeds are very good as well.
    They know their machines in and out.
    The 47 Ronin Gaming: www.47r-squad.com
    Counter-Strike: Source, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

For 1M a day, you need a private cloud. Even a dedicated will likely be brought to its knees. I know of just a few hosts that offer this. As Matt says, Namecheap probably has one. I know that EuroVPS has one. These are probably about $750 - $1K per month. But if you bring in 1M per month, you should have plenty of income. At best, if the site is split up some (forum one on server, wiki on another, etc), you can use multi dedi servers without a cloud. I know of one site that's powered by 3 servers this way.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by IcEWoLF View Post
    Check out Bigscoots.com their managed service is very good and their vps speeds are very good as well.
    They know their machines in and out.
    Thanks for the mention!

Be sure to let us know if there is anything we can do to help William. Best of luck to you with your hunt!
    BigScoots.com - 98% of Clients Stay With Us Forever
    Offering Fully Managed Shared & Reseller Hosting
    Specializing in Managed WordPress, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    Opened 2010 & 100% Positively Reviewed Since | 100% Network Uptime

Multiple dedicated servers will be required for most million visits per day sites. But is all depends on what kind of content you are serving. If you have a simple static HTML page, then a single dedicated server might handle it. If you have a PHP application (like WordPress or Joomla), then you probably won't be able to handle a million visits per day on a single dedicated server. A single GoDaddy VPS has little to no chance of being able to deliver a million visits per day. A VPS is a good solution to start with, but you will out grow it long before you hit a million visits per day.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

I would recommend not one maybe two dedicated servers doing in cluster/cloud

Rather than going for VPS'

I personally recommend for starting out a Kimsufi plan from OVH. The servers there, you can pick up (dedicated, not VPS) from as little as £11 p/month, and considering I have had 9 in total with them for over 7 months now, they're amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Host4Geeks-Kushal View Post
    I'm thinking around ~167.6342964, although you would have to wait for Keith to verify this as last time I was shown a gaping flaw in the algorithm. I have changed a few things around but would still wait for an opinion from him.
    When you say 167.6342964, is that 167k?

I think I am going to start of with the Knownhosts VPS-3 package and I am also thinking of hosting all my uploads like images, videos on amazon s3. Am I right in thinking this help load times etc?

I think I am going to start of with the Knownhosts VPS-3 package and I am also thinking of hosting all my uploads like images, videos on amazon s3. Am I right in thinking this help load times etc?
    Offloading the big stuff like videos will help quite a lot I would consider looking into using a CDN service which could be even better for you.