Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog training?

Originally posted by nameslave
    How will you all train your sons or daughters? LOL!
    Originally posted by LociasInc
    try the humane society, around here they do 18 weeks of training for free
    LOL

Not to burst your bubble but a dog is actually supposed to be led from the left side of the dog, on your right side. You should also never hit a dog accross the snout. If you're going to hit a dog pop it under the chin.

I showed dogs in AKC circuits in the Pacific Northwest for several years and also did weight pulling (IWPA). I left that after doing it for too long and got into horses (natural horsemanship training) and team roping.

I wouldn't waste the money on paying a trainer and actually train the dog yourself. The dog will form a better and stronger trust relationship with you. There's hundreds of different ways to train a dog to house break, general obedience, etc.. More effective ones for different people. As far as houst breaking goes, try the way Vito suggested, or if you can bear it do 'the newspaper method'. Which is basically just setting up a certain spot in your house (that is floored with tile, such as a laundry room), watch the dog for a few hours and everytime the dog starts to look for a place to goto the bathroom pick it up and put it on the news paper. Thus teaching the dog to use the newspaper. Do this for 7-10 days and then move the newspaper outside and get a doggy door. This has worked very well for me and IMHO the house breaking sticks better with the dog. Make sure the dog is spaid or neutured though, otherwise no matter what you do the dog will not conform.

Pick up a decent dog training book from a local bookstore (can't think of any titles to recommend for general dog obedience). Start working with the dog. Trust me, any normal person finds it enjoyable .

Originally posted by Webdude
    I could never recommend any Petsmart. Every one I have been in was a joke. I dont do public training, but I do train my own. It's funny when I walk into a Petsmart with my Great Dane, have her work circles around their best. I could make a lot of money doing that because I always have people asking if I will train their dogs.

I walk in, Tara (my great dane) is not leashed. She stays on my left on every isle, on every turn. When I stop, she sits. I can put a steak on the floor, and she will leave it until I give her the go-ahead. I can have her lay there with it between her front legs, and she still doesnt touch it, (but she makes it known she wants it..LOL). She can say "please", "I love you", and "thankyou". Ok, she's not a parrot, but you can understand it somewhat. She has her own twin sized bed, and a place at the table (no she doesnt sit in a chair, heh)

http://jasher-relyn.com/danes/images/teras1.jpg

It's not hard to train a dog as long as you have the time, and are willing to spend that time training them. As for crate training, dogs over a few months old wont potty where they have to eat and sleep. Feed them in the crate, wait two hours, take them outside to go potty. You accomplish two things...crate training and potty training. One of the most important thing I tell people to train their dogs on.......make them bark like crazy when someone tells them "Shhhh" to try and get them quiet. Always mess with them, pet them, play with their nose, etc while they are eating. It teaches them to not be aggressive with their food. It's all those little things that add up to make a great dog.

...And never Never NEVER let the dog bite a child. If the dog ever even so much as snaps at a child, jack that dog across the skull. That's for it's own safety, and yours too. Even if the child was picking on the dog, if that dog bites the child, the parents may attempt to sue you, and the law may try to put your dog down. A few painful knocks across it's skull is well worth the benefits of preventing that ever happening.
    Last edited by interactive; 01-02-2004 at 01:40 AM.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Originally posted by interactive
    Not to burst your bubble but a dog is actually supposed to be led from the left side of the dog, on your right side.
    No, wrong. It is to your left in confirmation, on your right in agility. My great dane walks to my left, one of my white sheperds walks to my right. Confirmation doesnt count with my dogs. The only time they stay to my left (with the exception of my dane, which is always left) is during obedience training. All other times it is to the right for agility.

So I think you simply have your left/right mixed up right now..since you did throw me off for a moment and I had to rethink it..lol

we found many places around our local that charge only $80 to $100 for a 8 week training seminar, 1 hour/day a week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12