Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

godaddy vs 1and1

Which one is better in shared hosting between godaddy and 1&1?

this depends on how you want to use them. According to reviews here godaddy has better support. 1 und 1 has a great network though.

1 und 1 has a great network though.
    but support reply within 24/48 hours
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Been with 1&1 for almost three years and love em. I was with GoDaddy right before them and canceled when php uploads (yes, uploads... doing NOTHING but uploading the files) would break their directory structure and they'd have to cancel my account and rebuild it from scratch... went through that 3 times. I also didn't like that simple little things like useful stats were an add on at GoDaddy rather than a part of the package... the upselling is CONSTANT.

I was at the book store the other day looking at computer magazines, and I noticed that 1&1 had full page (and even multi-page) adds in just about every design or hardware magazine I picked up. I'm wondering if this is smart marketing or not for a hosting company... I'd like to know what their return on this is.
    Last edited by Dostoevsky; 05-08-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dostoevsky View Post
    I was at the book store the other day looking at computer magazines, and I noticed that 1&1 had full page (and even multi-page) adds in just about every design or hardware magazine I picked up. I'm wondering if this is smart marketing or not for a hosting company... I'd like to know what their return on this is.
    This is the same in every US, Canadian, British and German magazine that is vaguely related to IT.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

I have a 1and1 web hosting account and its not bad. I've only had 1 outage in about a year, which lasted about 10 mins. I've had to call up their support a few times, and its really hard to hear them.

The Indian accents aren't a big factor to me, as I work through it, but the connections are really bad. Most of the time there is static on the line, and the volume is always very low.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

1and1 has a downtime of 10 min in a year then what about godaddy's downtime?

Which will be better for an online store?

I've not heard good things about GoDaddy hosting unless you're just hosting a very small personal static-paged web site. I've heard some bad things about 1&1 but given the choice between those two alone I would probably pick 1&1.

As always, please do sone research/searching on here for reviews of both so that you can form your own opinions beyond that which you are told on this thread.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

I've used both there services, but only GoDaddy's web hosting. My first domain I bought was from 1and1 and I thought "Wow this is great, cheap domain and reliable uptime". Which was all true, that's not where my problems with 1and1 are though.

Comparing GoDaddy and 1and1's domain propagation, GoDaddy has them beat by a long shot. When I changed name servers with 1and1 it took the normal 48-72 hours for other people to be able to navigate to that link. Now, that is acceptable considering that's what it is supposed to take. On the other hand, when I switched to GoDaddy my domain propagation was near instant. Within a couple of minutes my site was accessible, and not just to me. That impressed me, and for a couple dollars more you can have your website up and running days sooner.

Hosting threw GoDaddy for me was a pain, I would never go there for web hosting again. I was not able to upload a simple .sql backup from my old host, because the format was "not accepted". I quickly phoned there support line and they were unable to help me, so I had to start from square one. For me being so used to cPanel it was nearly impossible for me to comfortably navigate there own custom control panel. (Hey, at least I didn't have to pay long distance for calling there support phone! ).

Both good companies, but I prefer to go with less-known hosting places. You can get nearly whatever you want with them because some hosts offer so many features to suit all your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by sjtalk9 View Post

LOL, that's like asking whether one generic unsalted peanut is better than another...

I recommend doing a SEARCH through the forums for both companies, you'll get a real eyeful on them both.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

lol, This is like comparing used cars that have a few cylinders missing and smoke billowing from the oil burning.

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    LOL, that's like asking whether one generic unsalted peanut is better than another...
    Hardly... I have found 1&1 to be spectacularly, awesomely unique... even life changingly good (and that is no exaggeration... 1&1's offerings have made a direct and MAJOR difference in my life path)!

Quote Originally Posted by vibrokatana View Post
    lol, This is like comparing used cars that have a few cylinders missing and smoke billowing from the oil burning.
    Hardly... I have found 1&1 to be super smooth and their data center is, by all evidence (including the word of someone who has been to and worked at the data center as an independent contractor)... beautifully put together.

GoDaddy's hosting did indeed suck for me though... their directory structure completely broke and had to be rebuilt THREE TIMES just from uploading wordpress... I kid you not.

Bunch a FUD slangin haters!

Quote Originally Posted by dwrunyon View Post
    Bunch a FUD slangin haters!
    If I had a dollar for every time you called "FUD" on this forum I'd be rich. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it FUD

GoDaddy's hosting did indeed suck for me though... their directory structure completely broke and had to be rebuilt THREE TIMES just from uploading wordpress... I kid you not.
    Oh, how dare you! GoDaddy rocks, stop spreading "FUD"!
    Last edited by layer0; 05-24-2008 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    If I had a dollar for every time you called "FUD" on this forum I'd be rich. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it FUD
    Comparing 1&1 to a car that's missing cylinders and blowing smoke implies that there servers run like crap... that they have a poor setup, and that is completely false FUD.

Oh, how dare you! GoDaddy rocks, stop spreading "FUD"!
    The directory breaking from simply uploading wordpress is absolute FACT... not opinion or metaphor!

Comparing 1&1 to a car that's missing cylinders and blowing smoke implies that there servers run like crap... that they have a poor setup, and that is completely false.
    Stop right there, it may be false in your experience, but to discount the experience of others as FUD is nonsense.

People have differing experiences and opinions...it's a fact of life.

Is 1and1's service bad? Clearly not in your experience, but others may disagree, and that doesn't make everything they say automatically "FUD", just because the almighty dwrunyon considers it so

What's the point to constantly tossing around this silly term anyhow? You've shared your experience, I feel that should be a sufficient contribution to the thread. If you want people to respect your experience/opinion, then you better not be calling their experience/opinion "FUD".

The directory breaking from simply uploading wordpress is absolute FACT... not opinion or metaphor!
    Frankly, I don't see how this is technically possible unless there was something incorrect with your upload procedure, and considering how many of GoDaddy's customers must be using WordPress, it simply doesn't make sense.

Stop right there, it may be false in your experience, but to discount the experience of others as FUD is nonsense.
    When you're talkin cars and cylinders and oil you're talkin HARDWARE, not experiences and opinions, and it is a fact that 1&1's data center is the MOTHERSHIP! So to have implanted the imagery of an old crappy car that's engine is falling apart is true to the standardly accepted notion of what FUD is!

the almighty dwrunyon
    Thanks for recognizing!

Frankly, I don't see how this is technically possible unless there was something incorrect with your upload procedure, and considering how many of GoDaddy's customers must be using WordPress, it simply doesn't make sense.
    Listen man, I gotta tell you... I don't see how it's possible either... it makes no sense, but I promise you that it did indeed happen... THREE TIMES!

This was about three years ago, and wordpress wasn't quite as widespread as it is now, but I uploaded it with the same dang thang I use to upload everything to this day, Dreamweaver. I have since uploaded wordpress to about 10 different hosts and not had any problems, but when I sent it up to their servers everything got hosed... it made it to where I couldn't delete any directories or files, and their support had NO IDEA what to do about it but to delete my account and recreate everything from scratch... THREE TIMES, now... not just one fluke. It was on that third time that I asked for a refund.

EDIT:

Also, phpBB would give errors on almost every attempt to post a message. This was just a test installation with NO users but myself. I think their was something dreadfully wrong with their implementation of php at the time, is all I can guess.

When you're talkin cars and cylinders and oil you're talkin HARDWARE, not experiences and opinions, and it is a fact that 1&1's data center is the MOTHERSHIP! So to have implanted the imagery of an old crappy car that's engine is falling apart is true to the standardly accepted notion of what FUD is!
    The size of 1and1's data center has little relevance to the experience of an end-user with a virtual host on one of their servers. What's very relevant is the quality of support, performance of the servers - things that actually directly affect the account. The size of the data center doesn't matter, so long as there is sufficient redundancy and adherence to industry standards. I feel that this is the case for most any decent host...

If users commenting in this thread don't have experience with 1and1, then sure, they have no place to comment on the quality of their service, and even then you should be reporting this to the mods instead of calling it FUD.

But, if they do have experience with 1and1, then whether or not they're using an analogy to express their opinion shouldn't matter to you and certainly isn't FUD - it's their experience.

FUD is generally a strategic attempt to influence public perception by disseminating negative (and vague) information. An individual firm, for example, might use FUD to invite unfavorable opinions and speculation about a competitor's product. The term originated to describe disinformation tactics in the computer hardware industry and has since been used more broadly.
    Now, look at their postings, and the many similar postings from often the same folks, and tell me that the definition doesn't fit. Every dang time there's a thread about 1and1 people (again, often the same ones) come in and make the same negative (and vague) comments about them.

Now, look at their postings, and the many similar postings from often the same folks, and tell me that the definition doesn't fit. Every dang time there's a thread about 1and1 people (again, often the same ones) come in and make the same negative (and vague) comments about them.
    If these people can't backup their comments with experience, then they should not be allowed to post as per the rules of this forum - whether it's FUD is irrelevant.

The size of the data center doesn't matter, so long as there is sufficient redundancy and adherence to industry standards.
    I ain't even thinkin about size... I'm talkin levels of state of the artness! From the many pictures I have seen of their data center, I'm thinkin they might have the most meticulously architected servers and system on the planet. And it's fresh built to (I think their new center went live middle of last year), so everything in there is the newest of the new!

Right, okay, back to the topic.

dwrunyon, your experience with 1&1 clearly differs from the dozens and dozens of negative posts and reviews which have been recently posted on this board.

Everyone has the same access to the information via the Search link.

Just because one person has had good luck with a provider does not make all the other negative reviews worthless. It just means there is a lone voice that doesn't agree with the chorus.

dwrunyon, thank you for sharing your experience.

I'm interested to hear what others have experienced as well.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    I'm interested to hear what others have experienced as well.
    Experiences are fine... vague, inaccurate metaphors and generalized negativity with no detail shared to back it up are not.

Quote Originally Posted by sjtalk9 View Post
    It is a tough choice but if I would have been looking for web hosting I would be considering neither of these two companies. There are numerous horror stories about these two hosts.
    Server Management + Support to your hosting clients (unlimited tickets and servers) in one monthly fee.
    Outsourced Support
    | ManageAndSupport.com.

**We will monitor and harden your server + provide direct support to your hosting customers.**

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast