Difference between these windows 2003 license

Hi

what are the difference between these windows 2003 license?

Windows Svr Std All Languages Lic/SA , cpu , UNAUTHENTICATED

Windows Svr Std All Languages Lic/SA, cpu, AUTHENTICATED

You can have an Active Directory on the Authenticated version and it is much more expensive. That is the difference..
    James Lumby

I've never heard of Authenticated and unauthenticated ADs. When they say authenticated, do they mean a server running as a DC (which in and of itself means AD is installed naturally)?

I thought this would mean if you had your own CD Key or not... Hm.
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

No.. As Microsoft explained it to me.. The unauthenticated version of windows (Which is what most people pay for) doesn't include active directory. The unauthenticated version is for websites which are generally anonymous users. Clear as mud?
    James Lumby

Oooh.. but can't they just run dcpromo and install AD provided they have access to i386 files? Or is it that AD isn't available even if they tried to promote their server? That would be a first I've heard about that... Looks like my Win2K MCSE certification just about lost all value.

I have always thought AD was available if you promote the machine to become a DC - assuming you at least installed Windows 2003 Standard...
    Last edited by thecloudguy; 04-12-2005 at 12:34 PM.
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

I think you could upgrade it, have never tried, but either way, the license is much more expensive.
    James Lumby

ok thank u all but which one i should use to sell web hosting?

Generally speaking, you don't need the authenticated version.. The only reason you need the authenticated version, and the reason we are getting it, is so that you could offer something that requires active directory, eg, exchange hosting.. Most hosts do not..
    James Lumby

Thats not my understanding at all. It is my understanding that if you use the authenticated version, you intend to use it in a manner that users will actually be logging into the server (like on a lan). The unauthenticated version is for webservers where you don't know who or how many people are actually connecting.
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

Which at that point, active directory is used... This is what I was told straight from Microsoft.
    James Lumby

ok thanks again, last question it buy SPLA or Web edition?

SPLA is a Service Providers License Agreement. You generally get this when you are the server provider, it's not something you buy, it's a contract you have with Microsoft. You then purchase licenses on a non-perpetual basis from them. So, you should get either web edition or standard edition..

Edited to add:

Hope this helps..
    James Lumby

It's probably quite an old thread.. but what about FTP users. If you have users connecting to the server with FTP - do you need authenticated version?

GM

Quote Originally Posted by lumbyjj
    No.. As Microsoft explained it to me.. The unauthenticated version of windows (Which is what most people pay for) doesn't include active directory. The unauthenticated version is for websites which are generally anonymous users. Clear as mud?
    Web Hosting and Cloud Hosting in Australia

No, I you can have ftp users on an unauthenticated version, it's mainly whether or not it makes use of Active Directory and is a member of a domain.
    James Lumby