Do I need child hosts for nameservers or just A records?

I've been curious about this for the longest. Do i need to set my nameservers up as child hosts at my registrar, or is this only for recursive situations (ie domain.com uses ns1.domain.com as a nameserver).

You will need to register your private nameservers with your registrar and you will need to request an 'A Record' from your host.

You might be able to change it in your cPanel, in the DNS Tools.

If you want private nameservers and are a reseller then yes you would need to create child nameservers. If you are using standard shared webhosting then you just point your domain to the nameservers given by the host.
    Web Trade Pro - The only web hosting you'll ever need...EVER...
    █ 100s Auto Install Scripts for Blogs, Forums, Shopping Carts and Billing Systems
    Email sales@webtradepro.com and find out more!

Web Trade Pro Ltd | United Kingdom - Manchester | Company No. 07763352

Its for when you want to mask the nameservers when you've been given... IE. You were given ns1.example.com, ns2.example.com - however you want to use ns1.yourdomain.com, ns2.yourdomain.com
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

I own my own servers, and I know what private nameservers are and all that.
    I'm just wondering if A records are sufficient? For a domain that doesn't use its own nameservers of course (non-recursive).

As already stated in posts #2 and #3, you need both - A records alone are not sufficient.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by samb0057 View Post
    I own my own servers, and I know what private nameservers are and all that.
    I'm just wondering if A records are sufficient? For a domain that doesn't use its own nameservers of course (non-recursive).
    You will need to register your own private nameservers with your registrar to be able to create a sufficient 'A Record'

There will be no point in making an 'A Record' if you use your hosts nameservers because it'll be already set by default.