Unhappy BurstNET OOS - How can I get my Los Angeles server out of hock?

Hi all,

I'm new here, but in a bit of a bother and I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on this.

Earlier today my monitoring servers reported that one of my machines, colo'd at BurstNET's Los Angeles datacenter, was down.

Since BurstNET has been reliably terrible and this server is part of a distributed infrastructure, I wasn't terribly worried; It's happened before and the server would always come back online eventually.

It's been a few hours, so I went to file a support ticket with BurstNET and lo and behold they're out of business. I suppose this is probably not news to anyone else, but they slipped away without a peep to their customers (at least not to me) so I was out of the know.

My issue is that this is a colo, so of course they have my hardware. I'm pretty sure that Burst was just leasing space in a datacenter in LA, so I'm hoping that my server still exists and is probably just disconnected.

Does anyone know to which company that datacenter belongs? And/or who I can reach out to about this?

Apparently Hostwinds was supposed to migrate Burst's VPS clients, but here is a [probably] canned response I got to my enquiry:

We regret to inform you that it has come to our attention that there has been a shut down in the entirety of Burst.net's services. This shut down of Burst.net has prematurely occurred prior to the original date that was contracted and was out of our control and as such, we were unable to retrieve your data to perform your migration. We were given the same date that all Burst.net clients were given of July 25th* to retrieve data from the servers and this has come at a bit of a shock to us as well.
    *Again, I received no communication from them.

My only upside is that my server with Burst is a mirror of two others that are hosted by two other providers (Joe's DC and Zayo, nee ColoUnlimited). I really feel for all the people that undoubtedly lost data and customers over this.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

And just as a tangent: Good riddance to BurstNET. They were the worst provider I've ever used. Least reliable, worst support, uncaring of their clients, they smashed in the back of my server, and they were generally incompetent. If anyone's looking to set up shop elsewhere, I've had a great experience with Joe's Datacenter over the same period of these past 15 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottoR View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone know to which company that datacenter belongs? And/or who I can reach out to about this?
    Burst LA colos at Wilcon (http://wilcon.com/)
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

Thanks for the quick response! I'm getting in touch with them now.

Is Burstnet totally shut down now?
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Profuse-Jimmy View Post
    Burst LA colos at Wilcon (http://wilcon.com/)
    Since when? They were at IX2 last I know of.
    Does Wilcon even do colo?
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    Since when? They were at IX2 last I know of.
    Does Wilcon even do colo?
    Wilcon / IX2 are the same company.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

Question

If anyone's looking to set up shop elsewhere, I've had a great experience with Joe's Datacenter over the same period of these past 15 months or so.
    @ScottoR, how did you get in touch with Joe's for the colo? Doesn't seem available on their website.

EDIT: I take that back; it seems their website has been updated.
    Last edited by anonymous2009; 07-28-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Hi all,

I'm new here, but in a bit of a bother and I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on this.

Earlier today my monitoring servers reported that one of my machines, colo'd at BurstNET's Los Angeles datacenter, was down.

Since BurstNET has been reliably terrible and this server is part of a distributed infrastructure, I wasn't terribly worried; It's happened before and the server would always come back online eventually.

It's been a few hours, so I went to file a support ticket with BurstNET and lo and behold they're out of business. I suppose this is probably not news to anyone else, but they slipped away without a peep to their customers (at least not to me) so I was out of the know.

My issue is that this is a colo, so of course they have my hardware. I'm pretty sure that Burst was just leasing space in a datacenter in LA, so I'm hoping that my server still exists and is probably just disconnected.

Apparently Hostwinds was supposed to migrate Burst's VPS clients, but here is a [probably] canned response I got to my enquiry:

*Again, I received no communication from them.

My only upside is that my server with Burst is a mirror of two others that are hosted by two other providers (Joe's DC and Zayo, nee ColoUnlimited). I really feel for all the people that undoubtedly lost data and customers over this.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

And just as a tangent: Good riddance to BurstNET. They were the worst provider I've ever used. Least reliable, worst support, uncaring of their clients, they smashed in the back of my server, and they were generally incompetent. If anyone's looking to set up shop elsewhere, I've had a great experience with Joe's Datacenter over the same period of these past 15 months or so.
    The former Burst.net CEO seemed to indicate that it was SharkTech that they used in LA: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...&postcount=541

Tim from SharkTech also posted earlier in the thread: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ch#post9157061
    Ethical, carbon neutral hosting and servers from Freethought
    Freethought Internet Limited registered in London No. 5862996. Registered office: Unit 5, Oak House, Witham Park, Waterside South, Lincoln, LN5 7FB. VAT number GB 345 5122 18.

They did not use Sharktech. We already posted that it was IX2.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    They did not use Sharktech. We already posted that it was IX2.
    The posts that I link to see to disagree...
    Ethical, carbon neutral hosting and servers from Freethought
    Freethought Internet Limited registered in London No. 5862996. Registered office: Unit 5, Oak House, Witham Park, Waterside South, Lincoln, LN5 7FB. VAT number GB 345 5122 18.

I heard back from someone at Wilcon, and he did know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed-Freethought View Post
    The former Burst.net CEO seemed to indicate that it was SharkTech that they used in LA:

Tim from SharkTech also posted earlier in the thread:
    Just from a quick perusal of their websites, I'm guessing that Sharktech rents space in Wilcon's DC.

I know next to nothing about the two companies, but Wilcon's website talks extensively about fibre and DC infrastructure, whereas Sharktech's pictures of their LA DC have all their servers in locking racks.

EDIT: I don't disagree that Sharktech is taking over Burst's clients in that DC, I just don't think they're the DC operator.
    Last edited by ScottoR; 07-28-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed-Freethought View Post
    The posts that I link to see to disagree...
    We colo some space in the same facility... so we know who owns the space

I heard back from someone at Wilcon, and he did know what I'm talking about.

Just from a quick perusal of their websites, I'm guessing that Sharktech rents space in Wilcon's DC.

I know next to nothing about the two companies, but Wilcon's website talks extensively about fibre and DC infrastructure, whereas Sharktech's pictures of their LA DC have all their servers in locking racks.

EDIT: I don't disagree that Sharktech is taking over Burst's clients in that DC, I just don't think they're the DC operator.
    Good luck getting your hardware out, let us know what happens.

We are not the colo facility that Burstnet used in LA. Wilcon/IX2 is the DC. For the past month we did provide internet connectivity to Burstnet customers in LA to help them migrate their service else where.

We have sent several emails to dedicated server customers that was provided to us notifying them of shut off date and with offers we are extending to them to move their service with us. The same was extended to the colo customers.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Profuse-Jimmy View Post
    Good luck getting your hardware out, let us know what happens.
    Actually, someone at Wilcon/IX2 put me in touch with Tim (above) who's been really great so far getting me migrated over to SharkTECH.

I figure it's much easier to keep the server in the same DC, and Tim quoted me a price that was close to what I was paying at Burst.

Plus he's been very communicative and is active on here which is always a good sign. Thanks again, Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigy View Post
    We are not the colo facility that Burstnet used in LA. Wilcon/IX2 is the DC. For the past month we did provide internet connectivity to Burstnet customers in LA to help them migrate their service else where.

We have sent several emails to dedicated server customers that was provided to us notifying them of shut off date and with offers we are extending to them to move their service with us. The same was extended to the colo customers.
    This folks is being a good community company. Next time you want to buy a price lets try to remember the good guys who try to do the right thing not only for their company and business but also for our industry and give them the support they deserve.

Thanks Mark, appreciate the good word. We have been concerned from the beginning of this fiasco about the standard Burstnet customers and extended a helping hand immediately to assist with the situation.