Putting my host to the test [MediaLayer Review]

Hey All,

A while back i signed up for a hosting account with medialayer because of the application centric hosting packages and them using lightspeed as a web server. Well I'm not most customers for sure and before I put any valuable content with a host I tend to monitor that host for months (if possible) and also test their support response times. I monitor MediaLayer using pingdom and site24x7 and after I believe about six months the only major outage I saw was on their LA server for an hour due to a faulty switch in the data center. They recently launched their New York location and I asked to be moved there (it is at Voxel) and within 10 minutes all of my data was moved.

During my six months with them I have submitted multiple support tickets and all have been answered within 10 minutes. Twice now I have put them to the extreme test by deleting data from my accounts and asked them to restore it from backups. This is the timeline from yesterday for the restore:

1:11 am - ticket created
    1:13 am - ticket responded to asking if I wanted the entire account restored or single domain
    1:14 am - my response
    1:19 am - restore completed.

MediaLayer has never let me down in my hosting needs. Some may think they are expensive but I think they are well worth it. My only gripe up to now is that they don't offer any phone support and I don't believe they offer any enterprise level spam filtering.

Anyway, I look forward to being a customer for a long time and would recommend them to anyone who needs stable hosting.
    Last edited by RossH; 08-08-2007 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RossH View Post
    Twice now I have put them to the extreme test by deleting data from my accounts and asked them to restore it from backups.
    Well thats not nice at all

I too have recently started hosting with MediaLayer and while I haven't put up my site yet, I have contacted support a few times with some questions and they are very prompt to respond. Ever sending in a ticket marked as Medium or Low priority still gets a speedy response. I think I see a long future ahead hosting with them. I just wish they did not limit the amount of domains you can have per account.

Props to MediaLayer for their awesomeness.

Well thats not nice at all
    Maybe not entirely nice, but given this glorious review, I think it was worth their effort.

From your review, I can see why MediaLayer has the reputation it does. Never more than 10 minutes for a ticket response? We thought we were pretty quick but always under 10 minutes...that's amazing.

Props to the MediaLayer guys.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Quote Originally Posted by imountain View Post
    From your review, I can see why MediaLayer has the reputation it does. Never more than 10 minutes for a ticket response? We thought we were pretty quick but always under 10 minutes...that's amazing.

Props to the MediaLayer guys.
    Yeah, they put a lot of hosts to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post
    Yeah, they put a lot of hosts to shame.
    I completely agree. The support is really that fast and it's been that way for months since I've signed up. Glad to hear that you're also pleased with MediaLayer, although deleting your data and asking for it to be restored wasn't the nicest thing to do.

They have to if they want to make a true difference is this overcrowded business! Application hosting is one, but supporting it as fast as they do, seems great!

Its always good to see a positive review. Positive reviews actually help people find a good host.

Some hosting sites offer live chat support as well so support needs are addressed in real time, live.
    Digital City Hosting : Web Hosting Service : 24/7 Live Chat Support & 24/7 Live Ticket Support
    PHP : Cpanel : WHM : Ruby on Rails : Fantastico : Perl : MySQL
    Digital City Hosting : Web Hosting Blog

You guys think testing a company's ability to retore your data is mean, can any one of you explain why this isn't nice? It seems pretty silly to me that you would put important information with a company without knowing that they can restore that information in a time of crisis.

So someone please give me a logical explanation of why you shouldn't put your host to the test on backups?

Ross,

Nothing wrong with testing them at all Makes perfect sense!

We definitely don't mind the test Ross. Thanks to everyone for the kind words, it's really appreciated.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

What is MediaLayer uptime?

Pingdom doesnt have anything logged for them, as far as I can tell, no search returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mishka View Post
    What is MediaLayer uptime?

Pingdom doesnt have anything logged for them, as far as I can tell, no search returns.
    I've sent you a PM with a stats link. We'll soon have public reports with all of this information posted on our website.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

They sound like a good company. :]

Yes, sound pretty good

Yup - add me to the MediaLayer list of satisfied customers!!

I signed up with them on June 7th, 2007. I did a fair amount of research as to which hosting service to use. I had not done this before, so I really wasn't sure if I was making the right decision. I wanted to make the right choice the 1st time around. After spending some time lurking here [thanks everyone!] I chose MediaLayer.

I feel I made the right choice. They are extremely helpful, service tickets have been answered promptly [the few times I needed to create them], downtime is almost non existent and their servers are fast.

Yes I too was amazed at the service ticket response time - in MINUTES!!

It's good to know they can restore your data. That's another reason I chose them - BACKUPS. We had some experiences with loosing years worth of research data [our data was posted on discussion board that we had no control over]. So we struck out on our own. Now we have full control. Ahhhh It's good to be da king!!

Well done MediaLayer!! Also thanks to WHT for helping me make the right choice!!

Al
    Last edited by aklap; 08-19-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Glad to see you testing out their service for the people here at WHT.That is how i found them,from here and all the good reviews that had.

Glad i found them aswell.

I never timed their responses to support tickets but i would say that it is done in under 10 minutes is fairly accurate.

Under 10 minutes across the board truly is phenomenal. I don't even know how Medialayer does it.