* What's yours opinion about this server [PowerEdge R900] for colo?

Hi Dear Members of wht.com
    What is your opinion about this server for colocation?
    DELL PowerEdge R900
    4 x Intel Xeon X7350
    48GB Memory of RAM
    2 x 146GB SAS 10,000RPM
    3 x 1TB SATA Enterprise 7200RPM
    i want colocation this server and rent to my client about $299to$349.
    what is you comment about this server with this price?

Those processors are very old, a dual E5 machine should out perform it significantly and be much more reliable as the R900 is probably going to be around 5 years old.

I would say that power usage on the R900 will also be higher than any current equivalents. This could be a concern if you are paying for shared colocation by power.
    Energy Group Networks, LLC - www.egihosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation | VPS | Stream Hosting
    99.99% Network Uptime ▬ 24/7 Support ▬ SSAE 16 Type 2 Certified Enterprise Data Center
    Email: sales@egihosting.com | Phone: 888 808 8806 | QQ: 1701913982

I would say that power usage on the R900 will also be higher than any current equivalents. This could be a concern if you are paying for shared colocation by power.
    yes ..use 5Amps !
    but i have supermicro/E3-1230v2/4HDD's/32GB Memory .. use 1Amps.

Colo providers generally deny the housing of Poweredges.. :\

Quote Originally Posted by chulo arco View Post
    what the bloody hell are you talking about? equinix is practically 75% dell poweredge. colo providers dont have issue with power edges
    AS395558

what the....? This out of the rear statement! i haven not known any DC refusing poweredges boxes so far, unless it is a tower chassis.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by danitfk View Post
    Hi Dear Members of wht.com
    What is your opinion about this server for colocation?
    DELL PowerEdge R900
    4 x Intel Xeon X7350
    48GB Memory of RAM
    2 x 146GB SAS 10,000RPM
    3 x 1TB SATA Enterprise 7200RPM
    i want colocation this server and rent to my client about $299to$349.
    what is you comment about this server with this price?
    The QUAD CPU X7350 seems to have a passmark of 16,017. I would get a Dual E5-2620 instead as suggested above.

I think this guy might be saying that the old Dells like that are very power hungry and the power usage wont fit into commodity/off the shelf 2U/3U colo package offerings. No doubt you will spend more in power over 1 or 2 years than the cost increase to buy a new E5 system.

Old Dells (for example PE1950) can be unusually long and difficult to fit into cabinets depending on the PDU and cabling arrangements, post depth, ect. Basically we have a couple cabinets pre-adjusted and mostly dedicated to ancient dells, osx servers, and other long beasts. I don't blame budget providers for denying their use in shared colo arrangements, sometimes they simply don't fit in or power usage is borderline insane.
    Last edited by FastServ; 01-25-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

have you seen redstation(UK) dedicated server plans???
    all of them is poweredge : LOL

no - we have about 50% of dell poweredge in our datacenter in Munich (Germany).

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    Old Dells (for example PE1950) can be unusually long and difficult to fit into cabinets depending on the PDU and cabling arrangements, post depth, ect.
    Really? Never had problems like that... except if you use extremely short racks. We have racks with up to 1.2m depth, so there is really no problem with PE1950.

My apologies for my last statement, it was malformed. Older Dell servers use much more energy than new ones (while the new ones still use more power).
    It's an argument you can't really deny.

I've stopped using dell after 3 data centers denied my Poweredges. They were relatively new as well.

Also, guys, being rude doesn't solve anything.

Older Dell servers use much more energy than new ones (while the new ones still use more power).
    It's an argument you can't really deny.
    That's not really correct either: it's true for all old servers, not only DELL servers. Because new CPUs are more energy efficient...

I've stopped using dell after 3 data centers denied my Poweredges. They were relatively new as well.
    Perhaps you haven't asked a datacenter that is partner of DELL :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Handtake_GmbH View Post
    That's not really correct either: it's true for all old servers, not only DELL servers. Because new CPUs are more energy efficient...

Perhaps you haven't asked a datacenter that is partner of DELL :-)
    Yes. People think they hit the jackpot when they see this shiny server with 2 CPU's on Ebay.. They hit the jackpot on their energy bill.

Yes. People think they hit the jackpot when they see this shiny server with 2 CPU's on Ebay.. They hit the jackpot on their energy bill.
    This should certainly guide the thought process. The Intel Xeon X7300 series is not exactly the newest silicon and pre-nehalem architecture. Quad core 65nm chips @ 130w TDP. Four of those and you have a server that can easily break 500w especially once you add those drives and fans cooling everything.

I recently was looking for lower-cost servers (I had a requirement for multiple nodes) and have been working with the Dell C6100 XS23-TY3. Been keeping notes but even Folding@Home stressing all eight CPUs at 100% for hours would not bring the power consumption over 500w. Here's the Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 breakdown that I've been updating. Those tests were done with L5520's but I added two L5638's to the nodes and saw similar numbers.

The other thought I would offer to the OP is what do you do if this goes down for your client? Are you buying two, one for parts? Likely these were in service for a long time so you have a better chance of caps leaking, a fan failing or something like that.
    My site dedicated to server and workstation hardware: http://www.servethehome.com

I wouldn't use an R900 again.

We have had many 4U Dell PE servers, 6650, 6850, 6950, and R900. All have had power supply issues, many of which were really unacceptable - e.g. small fires, lot of smoke, feed down, etc etc. One time we lost a PDU because of this.

Many of them had catastrophic power supply failures which in most cases brought the feed down as when they fail, they short circuit internally and cause small fires. After the most recent such incident with an R900 (same general design as 6850/6950) I can definitely suggest that you choose something a bit more refined, such as ;

* DL380 G6
    * R710
    * R610 - only 12 dimm slots

I would not suggest R410 or other econo solutions as you'll end up with 2 NIC's and limited expandability (8 dimms etc)
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120