Thread: large web host

large web host

I am trying to find a provider with these requirements, and hope someone can point me in the right direction. (It seems a lot of reviews are on small plans)

RedHat Linux
    10+ GB Disk Space
    150-500 GB Transfer
    PHP 4.3.4
    MySQL - 4.0+ preferred, 3.25 will work
    At least 3 MySQL DBs (with lots of storage per)
    Webmail - "Unlimited" email accounts (pop3)
    Cpanel or Plesk
    phpMyAdmin
    Unlimited Subdomains/Parked domains
    Daily Backups
    Dedicated IP address
    More or so the basic things, like CRON & FTP access

Website transfer - First, can any hosting company transfer all my files in perfect condition (permissions in tact, mysql db's info and all). If so - I would really need this...

Thanks

What budget do you have in mind?

Also, 150-500 GB is a pretty wide margin. Do you have a more accurate idea of how much bandwidth you'd be using?

Try searching http://findmyhosting.com/

And any good webhost should be able to spare the time to help migrate your website, especially when buy that much bandwidth.

I found ServInt, $49 - $129/mo, no setup fee.
    http://www.servint.net/vps/

I would say 200GB. I have a ton of download files & users.

I emailed ServInt for more info, as it didn't say much... I am definately looking for more.

I realize I get what I pay for, but I would obviously like to get a nice price. ServInt is *very* nice. I am hoping for under $200/mo.

Sorry, I would also would like it to be in the US only.

ServInt is awesome, you wouldn't be disappointed.

Do you know if ServInt offers some of the things i stated in my 1st post? Like:
    webmail
    plesk/cpanel
    PHP/MySQL (fairly new versions), my current host didnt have MySQL 4.0, so I couldn't do some stuff in a query =(.

Smile

If you are on a VPS, you have to install those yourself.

Get a dedicated server, and go servermatrix.com (subsidiary of theplanet.com)

Two huge datacenters in Dallas, and planning on one in Chicago, or something like that...they have been great to me thus far...and their prices, speed, and quality of support are unsurpassed.

Do you know if ServInt would do a site transfer for me? (I could pay)

Im not too familiar with servers, just the very basics. Do you think I could install PHP/MySQL/ plesk/cpanel
    and are they all free?

Originally posted by eq1987
    Do you know if ServInt would do a site transfer for me? (I could pay)

Im not too familiar with servers, just the very basics. Do you think I could install PHP/MySQL/ plesk/cpanel
    and are they all free?
    They are all included, and they do the initial setup for you. I've learned how to do the updates myself, as I go. The support is very very helpfull, and will walk you through either through email or on the phone.

You're looking at a large step in money here.

For what you need and the cost it would be at a shared hosting solution I suggest VPS or a dedicated server.

If you don't know how to do things all you have to do is come back here ask a question and you'll get help.

As suggested also try servermatrix.com they have WHM and cpanel installed for you so transfering a domain can be done within cpanel quick and easy.

Also PHP/MySQL are installed and cpanel makes it easy to keep them up to date.

Let me know if you have any questions on server specs or anything else.

Originally posted by YUPAPA
    If you are on a VPS, you have to install those yourself.
    Servint Install cpanel for you (its included in their packages) which includes webmail etc.

I wouldn't advise going to a dedicated server. It is a large step in money, and secondly if you don't know what your doing your website could be at risk. With an unmanaged server your responsable for keeping it updated and secure. I wouldn't recomend it unless you have prior knowlege of linux security.

A VPS or Shared hosting solution is a much better idea, in this case software and security is normally managed by the provider. Server Int looks like an good deal, and as mentioned they do offer cpanel or plesk as well. And if they won't help migrate your website I'm sure someone would be willing to do it for a small charge.

I can upload all my files, but I cant keep the permissions the same.

Can any person login to a plesk CP, download files and permissions, then upload them to a server in the same condition?

BTW, thank you on the note about Dedicated. I will probably stay away from it, and try for VPS. Because my site has so many downloadable files (each 10-20mb), bandwidth goes quick. And each page has about 2 queries.

Currently we support only 450 users, they are using up about 3gb per week. Expected transfer is around 200GB. We havnt actually pushed our launch, and are still preparing, so we intend for quite a jump. That is basically why I'm thinking about Dedicated. Many searches (mysql db) are on my site, the display pages create many queries. We are estimating around 20,000+ users (you may think i'm insane if you wish) our first 2 months, and perhaps a max of 200k users in the same 2 month period.

If this helps create an idea, maybe some experienced server guru can help me choose what I need.

Thank you