Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Burst.Net suck?

Hello there,

I have a Burst.Net VPS. I know they are cheap. You get what you pay for (d'oh, why must life curse us so, lol).

Anyway, I have the occasional problem with my server rebooting. This server is a windows 2008 VPS with very little load. It is just a very very low volume, like 50 hits a day kind of server. Not much except IIS, SQL Server Express and Mecurial installed on it.....it has 2.5GB of ram which is plenty enough...never seen it go over 1.7gb.

I ask the support guys about the rebooting issue;

First response is:
    You should be able to just ignore this. Please let us know the next time you are having this issue.

So I ask them to elaborate on what is happening and this is the answer;
    Sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused you. However, please keep in mind you are running a shared server so there is the possibility for your server to come offline due to a network flood. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

So my question is, is that normal? Does one just have to accept that occasionally...my server will reboot?

I presume this wouldn't happen with more expensive hosts? or is this just the way things work?

Thank you kindly for any advice

Have you checked your port throughput to evaluate their theory? If it's minimal then I'd ask to be moved to another node as if their theory is correct it not your fault.

For the money, Burst is fantastic.

no, they do not suck
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitRabbit View Post
    Anyway, I have the occasional problem with my server rebooting. This server is a windows 2008 VPS with very little load.
    2 or 3 months back there was a thread on here where BurstNET had identified an issue with Windows Automated Updates being applied en-mass (at the same time) to Windows VPSs causing a load spike on their servers. If I remember right they went through the VPSs and adjusted the time each one applied automatic updates in order to spread the load. I suspect these "ramdom" reboots you're seeing are just Windows updating itself (which usually involves a reboot) at whatever time BurstNET have set your VPS to apply them.

If the reboots are inconvenient for you then I don't think there's anything wrong with you setting your VPS to update manually, providing that you're proactive and keep your VPS updated yourself, so that you can perform the reboots when it's better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    no, they do not suck
    Actually, they suck and push very nicely! Their network is top-notch for doing both!

Thank you for the response everyone.

I guess partly I wasn't impressed by the response 'just to ignore it'....like, yeah, i'm gonna ignore my server rebooting.....perhaps the subject of this thread wasn't a good choice...

I will look at my through put.

I vaguely recall the problems they had with the load spikes. I'll go back and read it!. The server really is just a staging server with a few development sites on so I didn't notice too much back then.

I have also asked the support guy if there is anything else I can do, and will see what he says..

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitRabbit View Post
    I vaguely recall the problems they had with the load spikes. I'll go back and read it!. The server really is just a staging server with a few development sites on so I didn't notice too much back then.
    I got my dates a bit wrong - Look around the middle to end of August 2011. We opened a support ticket about it at the time because the time they'd set one of our VPSs to update (and probably reboot) was right in the middle of when it runs an important process that we didn't want disturbing. We got a simple answer back which will probably help you...

You may remove this key from the registry and reboot the server to control the updates.

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    Actually, they suck and push very nicely! Their network is top-notch for doing both!
    Are you their client or reseller?
    This forum is full of burst.net bad reviews and the kind of service they offer. There are case of overselling, vps nodes are crashed and all data lost and lot. I made a search yesterday and posted in other thread you can see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by dm1375 View Post
    I'm one of their many thousands of satisfied customers.

This forum is full of burst.net bad reviews and the kind of service they offer. There are case of overselling, vps nodes are crashed and all data lost and lot. I made a search yesterday and posted in other thread you can see the results.
    And I guess you didn't bother to read my reply?

As you appear to NOT be one of their clients and are simply intent on trolling their threads, might I respectfully remind you of this:

You may not use discussions to recommend, praise, or belittle other products or services, or any company; without first hand experience of those products or services.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/rules.php

Their support may suck but the services never had a problem with them uptime was solid server was solid.

They don't suck, but they were having a hard time recently.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

Their service was always pretty good I thought for a budget VPS. I had to leave them because of their support issues though.

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    As you appear to NOT be one of their clients and are simply intent on trolling their threads, might I respectfully remind you of this:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/rules.php
    That's not the first time this has happened. You will find this to be the case more times than not in many of these "bash" threads. A lot of people with little real experience with some host and citing a 'forum search' as their so called proof.

Thank you for that very useful, information packed, and lack of factual information contained within post
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

I can't really say anything about their VPS service, but I have had a dedicated with them for over two years and have had nothing but good experiences with them...
    devblank.com
    - Tech tutorials, news, and anything else I feel like

I hate their support they take for pure ages to reply

Well we have dedicated server with different companies honestly our bad experience first comes with leaseweb, now with burstnet its not very good experience, there support is slow and not very friendly.

Be realistic with your expectations of support from a budget hosting provider, and typically we exceed those expectations. You are not going to get Rackspace support at the prices we charge. For what we charge, the majority of our support provided is beyond good. That does not mean every single support issue is as fast, but majority of it.

As far as friendly...our staff is about as friendly as they get, contrary to the above.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!

Sir I am paying 250 USD for the server, I can expect fast replies and fast resolutions.

I remember i paid 20 USD for IPs, 10 USD for ip itself and 10 USD for urgent 24 hours delivery of IPs.

I got IPs after 10 days. Burstnet is good but it lacks support.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-APEXCGI View Post
    Well we have dedicated server with different companies honestly our bad experience first comes with leaseweb, now with burstnet its not very good experience, there support is slow and not very friendly.
    Matt I am on the same grounds as you with burst net

I opened a ticket regarding their reseller progamme and they deleted it out of the system

Sir I am paying 250 USD for the server, I can expect fast replies and fast resolutions.

I remember i paid 20 USD for IPs, 10 USD for ip itself and 10 USD for urgent 24 hours delivery of IPs.

So ask for a refund of the $10 urgent delivery fee. I pay them several thousand a month and I don't expect fast replies unless something's down, which is exactly why they have that 'outage?' box on the ticket form.

$250 for a dedicated server is relatively cheap, and their IP costs are lower than anything else I've seen short of getting your own allocation.

Quote Originally Posted by satdav View Post

I opened a ticket regarding their reseller progamme and they deleted it out of the system
    So presumably you contacted them politely asking if it was a mistake?

If you are not getting the IPs for 10 days, I would expect that due to a lack of justification provided to us, or improper justification, as we typically do not take that long for a proper IP request completion.

Quote Originally Posted by satdav View Post

Why would we ever do that intentionally?
    Contact us an inquire about it.
    I assure you we don't intentionally delete sales tickets ...those are the fun ones!

And? If you read through the vast majority of those threads you would realize that it's all related to the end user.

I'm an active client of theirs and while I've had some issues in the past, the service has been very good for the price.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

I have some VPS with them and never faced an issue.
    Webuzo - Multi user control panel supporting Apache, NGinx, MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, LiteSpeed, Varnish, WordPress, etc.
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 200+ OS Templates
    Softaculous - Auto Installer with 400+ scripts for Webuzo, cPanel, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast