Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

ipage uploading issues

I have been using ipage for a couple months now and one problem I always seem to be having is when uploading files and overwriting the previous ones. However, after the upload I am not seeing the new content on the page. I have had this happen with my CSS files before and they informed me that it just takes a while on their servers. Now I am having major issues with this when dealing with Flash content.

I have contacted their customer service people about this earlier and they were no help. They merely told me to contact my ISP about clearing their cache and to clear my own browser cache, which I have already done. I have also already had people try viewing the website from a different computer and ISP and they see the seem thing as I do. So I do not believe that the customer service person knew anything about what they were saying and didn't understand my problem.

I was wondering if anyone out there uses ipage and has these issues with uploading or if this is just an issue that comes along with most web hosts.

I might add that when I upload the same files/directories to my school's secure crux server, I do not have any issues viewing the updated files/web pages instantly.

I have tried everything that I can think of, including simply deleting the files from the server and re-uploading them, but I still get the same results.

Any information would be appreciated because I am considering canceling with them because this headache is just not a good balance to its cheapness.

Try escalating the issue within their support department to see if you can get a fix or better answer. Otherwise, yea, maybe you should move.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

Is this when uploading through FTP or through iPage's control panel?
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Quote Originally Posted by tehsilentcircus View Post
    I have been using ipage for a couple months now and one problem I always seem to be having is when uploading files and overwriting the previous ones. However, after the upload I am not seeing the new content on the page. I have had this happen with my CSS files before and they informed me that it just takes a while on their servers. Now I am having major issues with this when dealing with Flash content.

I have contacted their customer service people about this earlier and they were no help. They merely told me to contact my ISP about clearing their cache and to clear my own browser cache, which I have already done. I have also already had people try viewing the website from a different computer and ISP and they see the seem thing as I do. So I do not believe that the customer service person knew anything about what they were saying and didn't understand my problem.

I was wondering if anyone out there uses ipage and has these issues with uploading or if this is just an issue that comes along with most web hosts.

I might add that when I upload the same files/directories to my school's secure crux server, I do not have any issues viewing the updated files/web pages instantly.

I have tried everything that I can think of, including simply deleting the files from the server and re-uploading them, but I still get the same results.

Any information would be appreciated because I am considering canceling with them because this headache is just not a good balance to its cheapness.
    How are you uploading the files? Are you using FTP? Strange that they're support would tell you that the upload takes time (should be instant).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    How are you uploading the files? Are you using FTP? Strange that they're support would tell you that the upload takes time (should be instant).
    I am uploading them using FTP. I was using FileZilla, then start using CuteFTP to see if that made a difference but it seems the same.

I have also tried by using their File Manager, which sucks by the way, but that is another topic.

I only have these uploading issues with CSS and now Flash (.swf) files. Everything uploads just fine if I make simple HTML changes and then upload them; I see instant changes in this case.

Even stranger is I can delete the file from server and then upload the new, updated file, but when I load the URL, it just brings up the same file from before; not even attempting to overwrite the original file.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad4 View Post
    Is this when uploading through FTP or through iPage's control panel?
    Refer to my reply above.

Quote Originally Posted by HS-CB Matt View Post
    Usually upload speeds depend on the speed your ISP allows you to upload, I could be wrong.

But if it was me having this issue and it was a regular occurrence I would backup, get a new host, have them install the backup, and then switch your nameservers. You'll have no downtime at all and won't have to worry about your upload issue!
    I feel it has to be iPage because I can upload to my schools server with instant results easy as pie.
    Last edited by tehsilentcircus; 07-09-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Usually upload speeds depend on the speed your ISP allows you to upload, I could be wrong.

But if it was me having this issue and it was a regular occurrence I would backup, get a new host, have them install the backup, and then switch your nameservers. You'll have no downtime at all and won't have to worry about your upload issue!

Well, if their support department is no help and you are still experiencing the problem having had it confirmed from different people in different locations then you have but one recourse.

Also ipage's service is based on quantity.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Also ipage's service is based on quantity.
    How do you know this? Have you used them already?
    I think that is not good at all to comment their business model in here.
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

What's wrong with a quantity based business model? It's a damn good business model. You post like it's bad thing and that's not on.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

I know this has probably been asked already. However, are you sure you are uploading the CSS file into the same directory as the HTML page?
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    I know this has probably been asked already. However, are you sure you are uploading the CSS file into the same directory as the HTML page?
    Definitely.

Here is something you can try. It is a pain in the but but you can do it. Actually, you probably can't because you probably don't have SSH Access.

I was going to recommend you uploading the files to an offserver site and then just using wget. That would be a pain but if you are that concerned about how slow the upload is I think you would, Good luck!

same problem, but depends on my location

Right, I'm having the same exact problem. After I upload a file to my iPage server via Cyberduck (or Terminal), the old file persists on the web, typically for 30 minutes. I've emptied the cache, opened new browsers, checked to see if it's the right directory, etc. No mistakes. Plus, the file seems to appear after a while, like I said, 30 minutes.

Now, the weird thing is that I don't have this problem at work. I work at major university, presumably with very high bandwidth, if that matters. What's the heck is going on? It's crippling to not be able to make speedy edits from home. Please let me know if you find/found a solution.

Thanks!

Certainly someone here can recognize and understand the use of a cache.

srfreeman, I'll assume you were genuinely trying to help (based on the tone implied by your history of previous comments, including this one), and thus, you will be able to explain this use of cache that is apparently independent of me emptying the cache manually through my browser settings, which I have already done, both in Chrome and Safari. To be precise, I did the following: (1) uploaded the new file to my server space, (2) emptied the cache in my browsers, and (3) entered the address of the new file in my browser. I still see the old file. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

Help is not needed here, I just stated the obvious; What has been described is indicative of caching. If it is not happening on the client side (you) or your isp (it is not evident when you connect to another server) then it is happening on the iPage server side through something you are using (WordPress, CloudFlare or the like) or something iPage has instituted.

You have not provided near enough information for anyone to even make an educated guess as to what might be happening in your individual account. No way to help.

srfreeman, I'm on board with the idea of cache and there being a problem with the isp. And I thank you for suggesting WordPress and CloudFlare, which I'll look into.

As for providing enough information, I provided a description of the basic problem and was hoping that someone else could probe me for other information that may help them to help me. Clearly, if I knew what other information to provide, then I myself would be able to use it to diagnose the problem. Why would you respond twice to a post just to insult the people with the problem? Typical forum attitude ... I'll just figure it out myself.

Post Hi gregalo,

Quote Originally Posted by gregalo View Post
    srfreeman, I'm on board with the idea of cache and there being a problem with the isp. And I thank you for suggesting WordPress and CloudFlare, which I'll look into.

As for providing enough information, I provided a description of the basic problem and was hoping that someone else could probe me for other information that may help them to help me. Clearly, if I knew what other information to provide, then I myself would be able to use it to diagnose the problem. Why would you respond twice to a post just to insult the people with the problem? Typical forum attitude ... I'll just figure it out myself.
    "And I thank you for suggesting WordPress and CloudFlare, which I'll look "

Just jumping in because I saw the CloudFlare mention. But I wouldn't hate it if you checked us out;-) I wanted to make sure you weren't a user having issues.

Hi Gregalo,

Are you actually using CloudFlare? A couple of quick things:

1. FTP goes direct (shouldn't be any issues).
    2. If you're making changes to static content (images, CSS, etc.), then we recommend going to development mode fist (settings->CloudFlare settings->Development Mode->Toggle On) to make sure changes to these appear immediately.

Hi there. No, I'm not using CloudFlare, not knowingly at least. Right now it's a javascript file that is being stubborn. I'd just as soon keep it simple rather than adding services. I have very little traffic. Were you suggesting adding CloudFlare?

gregalo;

I never said that there could be a "problem" with the isp, I stated that what you described was indicative of caching, not a problem.

As to you feeling insulted;

This thread started with someone trying to say that the stated behavior was a "problem" with their hosting provider, which it clearly is not. Defaming the support people was completely off base, the system is working as designed.

The thread continues on with many wildly guessing with no information, continually inferring that there was a "problem" with the provider when clearly there was none.

Your statement that having your edits appear on the Internet 30 minutes after you made them was "crippling" ...(unsaid)... that would have been insulting.

What you need to figure out is why you consider this a problem caused by someone else, just to inconvenience you. Your responsibility as a publisher on the Internet is to provide useful content to the World wide community. Focus more on your responsibility and less on telling us all how "bad" someone else may be for inconveniencing you.

man, find a hobby or something. It's a problem for me, because it's not working as expected. I didn't blame anyone. I just needed some help understanding how to make it work as expected. Or in understanding what I should expect. If you don't want to help, then leave me alone. But don't give yourself the impression that you are doing a service to the forum by being rude.

damoncloudfare, I inferred that. Thanks anyway for your post. It was, minimally, refreshing to hear someone trying to be helpful.

Post Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by gregalo View Post
    damoncloudfare, I inferred that. Thanks anyway for your post. It was, minimally, refreshing to hear someone trying to be helpful.
    Forums can be brutal at times. Shrug it off Hope you find the answer to what's causing your issues.

ummmmm i experience the same thing, there are some work around how to make your website update.... but first all you have to do is
    CLEAR the "cgi-bin"
    folder
    you will notice that all the temporary files are there if that works tell me if it didn't then we would have to do the long method hope i helps. i notice that no one gave you remedies how to make it work. also for those who are having the same problems with the IPAGE provider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast