BW controling in dedicated servers

Hello i have a famous website
    i use 3 until 5 TB bound width per day
    how can i decrease it and control it
    any one can help me ?

What is your website about? If it's famous and big then you would expect it uses a lot of bandwidth.
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

I would be happy if it uses that much, 3-5 TB a day.

Anyway, you could change some settings in the Apache configuration (or whatever webserver you use) to automatically compress JS and CSS files before they're sent to users - this would save some bandwidth if you have a lot of viewers.
    You could use gzip compression to send the output of the websites compressed, but this increases CPU usage on the server - not by much usually.

You can further optimize the websites setting in Apache's configuration to automatically tell browsers that some images can be cached for a long time instead of the default of a few days - this way the pictures used in your website layout would be downloaded less often.

With 3-5TB of bandwidth used daily I would expect quite a lot of profit from advertising. I'd consider moving some of the larger files (downloads, pictures) to a secondary server with a lot of bandwidth - for example 100tb.com offers servers with 100 TB of bandwidth as low as 140$ a month.

There are Apache modules that can also configure a limit of how fast can a file be sent to users - this could be used for example so that files over 50-100 MB will be limited at 100 KB/s or a low value and smaller files at normal speed. This way instead of getting very irregular bandwidth peaks, you could make the output smoother on average.

If you could mention the website then maybe we could give you more help

Quote Originally Posted by ARA4SH View Post
    any one can help me ?
    May be you host a lot of websites...

That's a ton of bandwidth. Sounds like torrents or other grey area site to me

Make sure pages shipped are compressed.

Move images and static content to a CDN.

Use webpagetest.org to optimize your pages.

3 to 5 TB is a lot of bandwidth for a single site. Can you tell us what kind of files you are serving? If it's audio/video streams, you might consider lowering the bitrate a little.

any one can help me ?
    That's a lot of traffic - an average of 270 to 450 megabits per second.

The way to reduce it is to send less.

The first steps are to set effective expires headers, and gzip compressible content.

Then check the web server logs to see what accounts for the traffic.

if you're using apache, you may want to look at http://code.google.com/speed/page-sp.../overview.html

i have a video and music website
    i am a server administrator a have a webhosting in iran but i work with iweb and i need more than 100 TB bw that i web can not give it to me.
    im in iran and 100tb.com dont supported iranians
    i have one way
    controlling my bw i want to increase it without decrease my website viewers

can any one help for this
    thanks for answering

Maybe you need to reduce the quality of the content?

i am a server administrator a have a webhosting in iran but i work with iweb and i need more than 100 TB bw that i web can not give it to me.
    i have one way

thanks for answering

You can always look in the offers section for an unmetered bandwidth offer that will fulfill your requirements. With an unmetered port, you would pay a fixed monthly fee, no matter how much capacity was utilized, which might work for your situation. You would need to review whether your bandwidth is basically a steady stream or whether it has sharp peaks at certain small periods. If it sharp peaks for relatively short periods of time during the month, a good 95th percentile billing solution, might be appropriate.

EU might be better for Iran. Bandwidth is pretty competitive too.

Quote Originally Posted by wheimeng View Post
    EU might be better for Iran. Bandwidth is pretty competitive too.
    can you explain more about EU ?
    <<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 11-10-2010 at 03:59 PM.

There are companies in Europe that can provide deals close to what 100tb.com can provide in US.

For example there's net100tb.com, which I believe is in the same datacenter with Leaseweb, so you're assured the bandwidth is good.
    There's also 100tb.eu, which is owned by dediserv.eu, also in Netherlands - not sure what datacenter...

I don't think there are restrictions against Iranian people in EU.

Leaseweb would also be good for you, but I believe the bandwidth costs would be higher than on the two other companies mentioned above, depending on what type of bandwidth you choose.

Leaseweb above (employee of company with the same name) gives a pretty good advice. You should look at how your bandwidth is consumed now.

You're saying you're using 3-5 TB a day, which would be about 300 mbps throughout the month, if each minute the server sends the same amount of data out.
    In this case, you could get one of these servers on Leaseweb, with 500 mbps unmetered bandwidth: http://www.leaseweb.com/en/dedicated...figurator/1107

But, if throughout the day, the output is about 100-150 mbps and then for an hour you maybe broadcast a show or update the site and people start downloading the file that moment at close to 1gbps, then maybe you would be better with 95 percentile bandwidth, which means that for about 37 hours a month, you can go up to 1-2 gbps and it's not counted, but for the rest of the month you must be careful to have your server stay below a certain output speed.

So in this example, with average 150mbps out of the server throughout the day and peaking for up to an hour each day to 1gbps, you could get a server with 250mbps 95 percentile, which can be about 200 euro cheaper:

http://www.leaseweb.com/en/dedicated...figurator/1113 (change from 100mbps 95 percentile to 250 in the configuration)

or you can get a better configuration at the same price you'd get the one with 500 mbps unmetered:

http://www.leaseweb.com/en/dedicated...figurator/1114

You could also self impose yourself some limits, for example by using mod_bwlimited in Apache or other modules/plugins in other servers, which let's you specify a maximum speed each user can get from your server. So, if you know you have on average 200 people downloading from you, with speeds in total from 200 mbps to 500 mbps, you can limit each person to 1 mbps (120 KB/s) so that the maximum server output is around 200 mbps, and you'll be within 250 mbps 95 percentile plans. You could even set lower limits based on file types... if they download or stream a MP3 file that's at best 320 kbps then you could limit the output for each mp3 download to 0.5 mbps (around 50 KB/s).

Compressing video and audio to lower bitrate could also be a good idea, for example changing from MP3 128kbps to AAC 80 kbps shouldn't be noticeable to users if you're streaming the music to them.
    Last edited by mariushm; 11-10-2010 at 06:02 PM.

i have one way

thanks for answering
    You can use OVH for example, netissime, or Online.
    They are all in France, have 1 Gbps dedicated bandwidth, and unmetered traffic...They cap your server on 100 mbps when you use more than 50 TB of traffic per month.

i think you can buy from their reseller who are not based in the USA.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Thumbs up

i have one way

thanks for answering
    Configure Traffic Control in the Linux kernel
    http://linux.die.net/man/8/tc

This command limit my connect at 50Mbps
    Code:
    /sbin/tc qdisc add dev eth0 root tbf rate 50mbit burst 5mbit latency 70ms peakrate 50mbit minburst 1540
    ╠══ Cool Wallpapers ══╡
    ║►►► Optimize your website

thanks every one
    dear mariushm can you tell me more about mod_bwlimited ?

It's an Apache module that's distributed with Cpanel and made by Cpanel's programmers. CPanel costs money, but the module itself is free, but you'd have to compile it yourself. I didn't use it personally.

There is an alternative that also seems to be much more documented, called mod_bw : http://bwmod.sourceforge.net

Looks like it works with Apache 2.0.54 (should work with 2.0.xx)

and here's a nice tutorial about it: http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14782

also this could also be helpful: http://www.whoopis.com/howtos/web-bandwidth-limit.html

thanks every one for answer to my questions
    in easy apache in Cpanel i install mod_bw
    is this for limiting ?