Moving from VPS - Choosing Dedicated System setup

I would really appreciate some advice about changing from a VPS to a dedicated server and getting a good 24/7 server management service

I know I need more Ram than I’ve got now and I know I need a managed server. Beyond that I’m not sure what I need and all the info I’m reading is making me more uncertain and more worried about making the wrong decision.

I moved from shared hosting to VPS a year ago. I have now started to outgrow the VPS.

The VPS has 512 MB Ram, 10% Burstable Resources. The site has been up since the last crash for 78 days but it is maxing out the Ram during the busy parts of the day and has high load averages.

There is one site on the VPS with static HTML pages. Last month’s figures were approximately 186,000 MB of Data transfer and 4,362000 page views. Average of 30,000 visitors per day

I want to add another 4 or 5 sites small sites. Some of those will be XML feed sites. No forums, chat or reselling.

So what to choose?

1. Operating System
    CentOS or Fedora Core Linux 6
    2. Control Panel
    cPanel 11 or Parallels Pro
    3. Processor
    Single Core or Dual Core
    4. Ram
    1GB or 2GB
    5. Hard Drive
    Single with backup, RAID or RAID with backup drive

Server Management Services and Monitoring 24/7
    I’m using WebSite Pulse for monitoring at the moment and I’m very happy with them but they don’t do server management. I need a company to secure, protect, update and keep the server running 24/7

platinumservermanagement.com seem to offer a good service for only $29 per month. Don’t know what they are like. They only manage cPanel, don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Would appreciate other suggestions.

Basically I’ve got to decide do I stick with current hosting service and move to a dedicated server choosing from the options I have listed or move to another hosting service offering managed VPS with more resources like wiredtree.com. Don’t know what Wired Tree is like just read about them in the forum.

Any advice about choosing a dedicated server, examples of server configurations you are running or server management services you are using would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi,

In regard to moving to Dedicated Server, the spec will depend on your budget. For your options, I will select CentOS, Cpanel, Dual Core, Raid + Remote Backup. Check out Fully Managed or 3rd Party Management Providers, and ask them if they can help you migrate.

Good Luck!

Regards,
    Bobby
    WebbyCart.com - Pushing Onwards
    Server Management | Outsourced Hosting Support | Remote / Offsite Rsync Backup | Fully Managed Servers & Cloud VPS
    sales@webbycart.com

Quote Originally Posted by WebbyCart View Post
    Hi,

In regard to moving to Dedicated Server, the spec will depend on your budget. For your options, I will select CentOS, Cpanel, Dual Core, Raid + Remote Backup. Check out Fully Managed or 3rd Party Management Providers, and ask them if they can help you migrate.

Good Luck!

Regards,
    Bobby
    Sorry, should have mentioned my budget. The VPS is costing me $99 month. I was hoping the dedicated wouldn't cost more than about $190 or around $220 with managed service.

What made you choose the spec you did? My traffic figures or experience with your own server?

Hi,

I based it on your traffic and future growth, but with that budget, you can start first with 1GB RAM and just upgrade when needed or Single Drive + Remote Backup to save on costs.

Regards,
    Bobby
    WebbyCart.com - Pushing Onwards
    Server Management | Outsourced Hosting Support | Remote / Offsite Rsync Backup | Fully Managed Servers & Cloud VPS
    sales@webbycart.com

Ok, sounds like I have set the budget to low. I was on a $10 shared hosting plan, jumped to $100 VPS one year ago and was thinking moving to dedicated server with managed services should be about double what it's costing me for the VPS.

So based on current traffic and allowing for growth, go for Dual Core with CentOS and Cpanel. 1MB Ram, but 2MB if budget can stretch and backup disk and remote backup service rather than RAID to save on cost. Upgrade when I can or as needed. Or maybe I have to nudge the budget up to $250

I would be interested in what server specs people are running with my traffic.