dedicated server upgrade

i've a Dell sc400 dedicated server at SM. it's Celeron 2.4ghz, 1x 80gb and 1gb RAM.

i'm looking to get a second hd, they've $200 for 120gb and $250 for 200gb, and $300 for additional 1gb RAM.

do you guy think it's worth the money to upgrade my Celeron or just get another server? btw, why do theplanet charge more than other like LT for hardware upgrade.

it's one time upgrade fee so i guess that won't be too much since i plan to keep that server for several more years. Would SM increase the price on dedicated server over time or will it stay the same price when i purchase it.

thank for feedback.

LT and The Planet are different companies, its best you ask them why they charge different prices for one time upgrades

I'd get another server, a celeron is fairly limited in what it can do.

Its very unlikey that SM will increase their prices on a server that you already have. But its very likely they will increase prices on other servers during that time. SM/TP prices fluctuate a lot over time, but its only for new accounts that this effects.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

Originally posted by crucialx

Its very unlikey that SM will increase their prices on a server that you already have. But its very likely they will increase prices on other servers during that time. SM/TP prices fluctuate a lot over time, but its only for new accounts that this effects.
    that's why i want to keep the Celeron. it work fine handling 136 domains that i currently have on it but the memory usage does up and slow down the server when some sites use more memory on their own application pool. SM increased quite a lot on their price since last year. i like their network. i havn't encounter any downtime yet. it only happened once and it was backup within a few hours.

i like the company but i probably won't get another server from them.

What are the load averages on that server? If they are anywhere above 3, I would probably recommend upgrading whole server. Otherwise if the load averages are lower than 3, then I would probably suggest just upgrading the ram.

Why do you want to add another hard drive? Are the customers currently on the server starting to use more of their allotted space or are you planning on adding more customers to that server? Since the server is only a Celeron, if you want to add more customers, then I would probably suggest looking at getting another server instead of adding another hard drive to your current server.
    ~ Nick