Thread: DVI question..

DVI question..

My Dell Monitor apparently is a DVI-D connection. It's missing the four extra pins to the right and has the slit in the middle. My ATI AIW X1900 Is a DVI-I, WITH the four extra pins.

Do they make a DVI-D to DVI-I connection? I put the term in, and all I seem to get is DVI-i - DVI-i connections.
    Check out Twelveoclock.net. And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk

I suppose you came across this in your search: http://www.asisupport.com/ts_asus_dvi-i_to_dvi-d.htm. I can't seem to find anything that indicates such an adapter could exist. I tried Google, Froogle, and a couple other sites. Nothing so far, but I'll look again tomorrow
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Have you tried connecting your DVI cable from the gfx card to the monitor? Many times the extra pins ( or lack of ) are dead pins that carry useless information so they are not used. But I'm no DVI expert
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

Whoa, Kdoubt gave me an idea. Why not just use a normal 6' DVI-D cable? From the link I gave that should work without a converter of any kind. Probably why they don't make 'em.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I could give it a shot. But, I ALSO found an I-D converter on Amazon. All it is is a Dongle with the two different connections. Dunno if it works, however, since there are no reviews.
    Check out Twelveoclock.net. And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk

Im not sure that I completely understand your situation. I understand that some of the pins are missing on the monitor cable. Did you happen to break them off or did the cable come that way. Also have u tried, as suggested above, to plug it in anyhow and see if there is a error of any sort for not having those pins.

I kinda doubt that dell would ship or monitor with a faulty cable. If you could also include the model of monitor theat may also help us find a answer to this issue.

Lane