X-cart for digital products

I'm planning on launching a digital store very soon.

My question is: How good will be X-cart to manage digital products? anyone know about this...

Or is it better to use oscommerce, cubecart or zen cart for this purpose?...whats the best cart for selling digital products?...any other options available than i'm unaware of..

Whay carts to avoid for this project?....

thanks for your comments
    E-business Guru wannabe

I cant tell you about X cart but I'm using CubeCart for my photography (stock photos) website with instant after payment (client gets a link in an email) downloads.

I have it running with PayPal (not pro) So far havent had any serious problems.

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

And this feature comes standard with cubecart just right out of the box?...or is it neccesary to purshase some add-ons?.....

And another thing....how much disk space and bandwidht will be neccesary to this carts function properly assuming that you will have less than 1000 visitors per month?
    E-business Guru wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Andresito
    And this feature comes standard with cubecart just right out of the box?...or is it neccesary to purshase some add-ons?.....

And another thing....how much disk space and bandwidht will be neccesary to this carts function properly assuming that you will have less than 1000 visitors per month?
    Yes the feature comes stock with CC. You can find a tutorial in pdf format on cubecart.org.

I'm using 1114MB of space for CC and 222 photos which range from 3-7MB and 22 thumbnails. Bandwidth wise depends how many images you have (thumbnails) if you are selling photos. If its software then you'd mostly use up bandwidth when someone downloads the item you are selling.

wow..thanks evolver...what are your opinions about cube cart..is it good?...is it fast?...is it easy to customize?.

I already have an html design made in Dreamweaver...I've heard that some carts are very difficult to change design....

You mentioned something about an email with a link when someone buys a product...this link will pass you to a download area of your site or how does this works?
    E-business Guru wannabe

wow..thanks evolver...what are your opinions about cube cart..is it good?...is it fast?...is it easy to customize?.

I already have an html design made in Dreamweaver...I've heard that some carts are very difficult to change design....

You mentioned something about an email with a link when someone buys a product...this link will pass you to a download area of your site or how does this works?
    Well so far it seems to be doing ok and updates are pretty easy to do. It comes with a css tamplate but you can design your own tamplates pretty easily. I had to go with a html table template since I dont know enough to create a full css one.

When you create digital downloads you have the option to keep your files out of the web root directory so people cant download them and can only download them once they receive the link in the emial. CC then grabs the file and lets the user download it with out knowing where the files are located on the sever.

You can also set how many times they are allowed to download each file. After they reach their limit the download link no longer works.

That's a very cool feature of cubecart....does anyone know if other carts like X-cart, oscommerce or zen cart support that feature?....

Anyways...nothing is perfect...I was checking out the live stores from cube cart...but they all seem to have the same design to me....

That's one of my main concerns....from what i saw....cubecart is not as customizable as you might expect in terms of design...maybe it's just my imagination..but look at the stores in their site...they all look the same to me...of course...different colors, diferent logos, but the layout is identical in each...

Don't you have the impression that on cube cart stores, the content is too close to each other?...like if they have no space to let more room for the content...
    E-business Guru wannabe

That's a very cool feature of cubecart....does anyone know if other carts like X-cart, oscommerce or zen cart support that feature?....

Anyways...nothing is perfect...I was checking out the live stores from cube cart...but they all seem to have the same design to me....

That's one of my main concerns....from what i saw....cubecart is not as customizable as you might expect in terms of design...maybe it's just my imagination..but look at the stores in their site...they all look the same to me...of course...different colors, diferent logos, but the layout is identical in each...

Don't you have the impression that on cube cart stores, the content is too close to each other?...like if they have no space to let more room for the content...
    Well this is a pretty nice design http://www.platinumprosports.com

I dont think my store looks like too many CC powered stores.

I went with it cause it was free. I tried OSCommerce but it was no where near as easy to use and set up as CC. Looked at X Cart but didnt feel like paying that much.

It is a pretty good design....I wonder how difficult it was to customize it that way though....anyways....I'm still checking out other carts...like zen cart...but I can't find any store that uses zen cart....

Do you know about a store that uses zen cart...i would like to see it in action...

Evolver....why do you say cube cart is much easier than oscommerce to use and set up?...let us know your experiences with oscommerce..
    E-business Guru wannabe

By the way Evolver, do you have an email where i can contact you. i have a business proposition for you. I tried your MSN but it bounced...and I don't have ICQ....

Now...i expect more insights on X-cart vs Cube cart vs oscommerce vs Zen cart on DIGITAL PRODUCTS...it has to be all about digital products...not tangible ones...cause i'm not interested in selling those...
    E-business Guru wannabe

It is a pretty good design....I wonder how difficult it was to customize it that way though....anyways....I'm still checking out other carts...like zen cart...but I can't find any store that uses zen cart....

Do you know about a store that uses zen cart...i would like to see it in action...

Evolver....why do you say cube cart is much easier than oscommerce to use and set up?...let us know your experiences with oscommerce..
    Just to clear things up the Platinum sports site is not mine. Dont know of any Zen cart sites but just do a search on Google for "powered by zen cart"

As for how easy it is to set up CC compared to OS/Zen cart, you need to try it yourself . I did and its was a pain in the *** to set up digital downloads in OS/Zen. They do have quite a few more features but I didn't need anything complex.

By the way Evolver, do you have an email where i can contact you. i have a business proposition for you. I tried your MSN but it bounced...and I don't have ICQ....

Now...i expect more insights on X-cart vs Cube cart vs oscommerce vs Zen cart on DIGITAL PRODUCTS...it has to be all about digital products...not tangible ones...cause i'm not interested in selling those...

You can PM me through this message board.

ok i will...anyone has more insights..??