Godaddy domain cancellation and release

Hello,
    I have a domain with godaddy that just renewed without me wanting to (not because they didn't tell me but because I received notifications on an email address I didn't check for a long time).
    I'm not really sure if I want to keep it for he $15 they charged me or if to ask fpr a refund and wait till it gets released. I would definitely go with the latest option since the domain name is pretty personal and I won't need it for 2 months at least but it happened the same thing with another one last September (which I don't care about at all) and it's still not available even though the 45-day limit has passed! DO you know if you renew a domain and then cancel it it will be kept for the entire year?

Another way could be: if I cancel the renewal with godaddy and then transfer it with the authorization code to another register will it work?

Generally IF registrars will cancel one they will delete it and you will need to wait for that process. That said it sounds like you

1) wanted to renew the domain
    2) upset that they renewed it for you.

Why not transfer it to whoever you want, it will cost the price of renewal and add 1 year to the expiration. If its lower than the $15 then you can average it out over 2 years and feel better about it.
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

Basically I wanted to keep it for low fee "just in case" but being a student $15 is not something I could give away so easily if I can have the same for $1!!
    If now I unlock the domain, get the auth code and cancel it (with refund) can I still transfer it or it will be blocked?
    I read of people that were able to transfer expired domains within 30 days, problem is my domain has been renewed so it won't go in the expired status if cancelled (will it?)

Quote Originally Posted by -Sandro- View Post
    Basically I wanted to keep it for low fee "just in case" but being a student $15 is not something I could give away so easily if I can have the same for $1!!
    If now I unlock the domain, get the auth code and cancel it (with refund) can I still transfer it or it will be blocked?
    I read of people that were able to transfer expired domains within 30 days, problem is my domain has been renewed so it won't go in the expired status if cancelled (will it?)
    Buying a domain for wholesale cost more than $1, more like 6ish or 7 dollars. So buying a domain for $1 generally means it is a marketing campaign and results in extremely high renewal fees to recoup the cost, or a scam.

No, you will not get a refund from GD and if you cancel it you cannot transfer it.

You are wrong, GD does refund the money. They did it last September cause I had another domain that renewed (I just forgot to disable the renewal and I really didn't want to keep it).

Thanks for the clarification.

You are wrong, GD does refund the money. They did it last September cause I had another domain that renewed (I just forgot to disable the renewal and I really didn't want to keep it).

Cool, sounds like your plan will work then.

Curious: do you still have that domain name? Or was it, say, deleted after the auto-renew payment was refunded?

Even if I said it was still taken I was wrong (maybe I mistyped it).
    The domain is free to register now, so I would assume they become like if they're expired!