Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Plesk vs. Kloxo/ Webmin

Kloxo & Webmin are control panels (free of cost) which enable you to add multiple domains, manage files, email accounts etc on the VPS.

Plesk does the same thing but retails at USD 70 (!) per month.

Plesk is undoubtedly prettier to look at. Very neat & professional.

But is there a functional difference between Plesk & Kloxo/ Webmin?

Is there anything that one can do with Plesk that cannot be done with Kloxo/ Webmin?

I can't figure out any functional difference.

I'm assuming you're using Linux with Centos 5?

Here's my experience. As of Plesk 9.5 or so, I have seen a steady decline in the QA of this product before release. Each successive release would seem to have a bugs that would impact some key functionality. The 10.x series was a nightmare for me because, in addition to bugs, the interface was horrible. I ended up going to CPanel and never looked back. From what I have heard, Plesk on Windows is great, though.

If I had to choose, between the two, I would take Kloxo in a heartbeat. The only issue would be that the interface there can get a little confusing and you're pretty much restricted to Centos 5 as Centos 6 is not supported.

I am confused by your $70/month statement, though. For a VPS license, Plesk can run between $5-15/month (on average) with most hosts. Why so much? A CPanel license for a VPS is usually $15, at most. So, I am wondering who quoted you that number.

Edit: I think I missed part of your question. On a VPS, I don't remember not being able to do something in Kloxo that I was not able to do in Plesk, with the exception of some plugins for Plesk (Gameserver, VPN, SAMBA, etc).
    Last edited by jaypeesmith; 03-02-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Further explanation

Kloxo is not reliable. I recently had a VPS where the Kloxo admin interface just quit working. Nobody at the lxcenter forums could figure it out, and a number of people ran into the same issue. To date, there's been no resolution. That's horrible. Because it was just a dev/test server, I plan to wipe it and test something else. Kloxo failed.

Plesk is a mature commercial product with far fewer issues.

Webmin isn't really a "panel" in the same sense as Kloxo, Plesk, cPanel, etc.
    VirtualMin is the panel.

For Linux hosting, cPanel is best.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I'm using Plesk 9.5, and refuse to upgrade to Plesk 10. Do not like the interface.
    But back to the question.
    The last weeks I have tested out Kloxo og Virtualmin on small CentOS VPS plans, and I have to say that I like Virtualmin (webmin) better then Kloxo.

I think Kloxo have to much going on. And Virtualmin has a more easy setup, and it's works right after the installation.

With Kloxo I have had problems getting domains live etc. Never a issue in Virtualmin.

So long as I keep my main VPS (and my backup vps) I will still using Plesk.
    But on my smaller test sites, and if I get a new VPS, I will use Virtualmin.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (56+ months), KnownHost.com (56+ months)

I would agree that Virtualmin is the better of the two free options. Sorry to not have caught that earlier.

Virtualmin is a breeze to set up, also. Typically, you just kick of the script and let it go.

if you know the linux than the Webmin will do the job, otherwise the Plesk, as the Kloxo is slow, unreliable, awful GUI and the configuration are normally not right and not simple as supposed to be, I had expirience, majority time much easier to update setting via ssh than Kloxo control panel.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    I am confused by your $70/month statement, though. For a VPS license, Plesk can run between $5-15/month (on average) with most hosts. Why so much? A CPanel license for a VPS is usually $15, at most. So, I am wondering who quoted you that number.
    I think I am missing something. This is what the plesk website says (http://www.parallels.com/store/plesk/linux/):

Leasing (monthly - includes SUS)*

Hosting Suite – Unlimited Domains

Includes Parallels Web Presence Builder (100 Domains) and Parallels Plesk Customer & Business Manager (1,000 Clients).
    $69.99 / month

Parallels Plesk Panel 10 – Unlimited Domains

An easy-to-use server control panel for Small Businesses, IT professionals, Web Designers and Shared Web Hosters.
    $39.99 / month

Plesk has a development team that is full time to back it up with professional support. Kloxo looks good but if I am doing shared hosting I would feel safer with Plesk. But of course if I can use Cpanel or Directadmin, I would rather go for these.

If you rent a license direct from Plesk youhave to pay lots more then if you rent a license from a webhoster when you rent a server from them.
    The big hosters has big discounts.

But what is your're question? How to get Plesk cheaper then direct lease from Parallels, or what control panel you can use for free, and what CP who is the best of the free one?
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (56+ months), KnownHost.com (56+ months)

Plesk is sold through resellers/Partners, so the pricing on Parallels website doesn't reflect what you can acquire the licenses for.

Comparing Plesk, which is an extremely robust control panel system designed to increase ARPU and client stickiness to a free 'solution' is laughable
    An ITX Design Hosting Company
    FFmpeg Hosting
    http://itxdesign.com
    tel. (866)-577-1442

Quote Originally Posted by investorz View Post
    I think I am missing something. This is what the plesk website says (http://www.parallels.com/store/plesk/linux/):
    I understand, now. I imagine that, if you're going through a host, this cost will go down drastically, depending on the number of sites you plan on hosting.

But, if you are going to pay for a panel, get WHM/CPanel. You can host as many sites as you can handle and pay, at most, $15/month for the license.

cPanel is by far the best, but I have used Kloxo before and was pleased with it. Reminds me a lot of cPanel but it lacks the support for the product which is its only downside. Too bad they didnt support and develop it more, it is a good product.

Most folks seem to recommend cPanel, which is very user friendly and has a lot of great options. However if the price is too high, consider DirectAdmin which I think is cheaper than Plesk.

DirectAdmin takes a little more 'thinking' to use, but is far superior as far as my experience has been to Webmin and Kloxo.
    -=|Several Companies, Incorporated |=-_____________________________________"Service, Always!"_
    We have provided web services as Republic Web Design™ since 2006.
    Do you need our support? Contact us thru our Central Service Desk
    = Web Design ∞ Web Hosting ∞ Web Services ∞ SEO =

Linux:
    Cpanel = Best Paid panel
    Webmin/Virtualmin = best free panel

Windows:
    Plesk = best paid panel
    WebsitePanel = best free panel

Overall though i would only use linux panels for hosting as windows has too many hidden license fees that cut into your profit margin. WIndows has also been known to take up a lot of memory and resources. That's just in my experience though.

I have used Virtualmin (webmin) for some weeks now, and I'm more and more impressed over this free control panel.
    It's a new world opening up for me. I have been to Plesk addicted, that I have not tried anything (beside Cpanel that I don't like).

For the first time in years I can think of using cheap and small VPS plans, since I'm now don't need to think that the VPS has to run Plesk.

So go Virtualmin (webmin). So simple, so easy to use.