Thread: Server4me

Hybrid View

Question

Hello!

I have a question about www.Server4me.com - they have a dedicated server starting @ $50 month. Right now I'm hosting one mid-size site and several smaller ones. The total cost is around $45. My question is: Should I get this dedicated server to host my sites. It would be cheaper in the long run (and I could get some alternate domain names, sell some space, et al.)

I emailed them and about a week later I got a slightly surly response, but they answered my questions (except the one about getting the names of some other people hosting with them - they couldn't believe I would ask for such a thing.) I can always call them (haven't yet, but it's a local call) or go down in person if I have any troubles.

Does any one have any dirt on this company? Again, they are run by a major (and popular) ISP here in San Diego (A+ net).

Thanks!
    Owen

Oh. It did go through. Oops.

Owen

[This message has been edited by Owen (edited 07-06-2000).]

Hello,

I wrote a nice long response, but the server timed out and I lost it. Here I go again:

I would normally agree with you except that this is a large reputable company. They have (or claim to have) hundreds of clients (an overly long list of hosted/designed sites: http://www.aplus.net/customers.html ) which are presumed to be hosted in the same facility. I'm getting mixed signals here.

What I'm really looking for is someone who has used them: I've never heard from anyone one way or the other about them...

I don't think they are loosing too much money due to a $250 setup fee, large upgrade fees, and highish bandwidth/IP fees.

Owen

PS> Sorry for posting twice, but I didn't log in the first time so couldn't delete it.

Talking

dreamhaven.net use to be hosted in A+ colo center. On the sites history page you'll find links to pictures of the facility.

Just looked at the Server4Me site, and personally I wouldn't touch them. Scroll down about a third of http://www.server4me.com/services.html, and you will see how they do their model. Hardware is cheep, especially the hardware they offer. Also, their pricing is based on the bandwidth you are allocated.

Most providers offer you a Mb or Gb per month scheme, which is the way to go. This means that you are still sitting on the end of a big fat pipe, which gives your end users the feeling of speed they hugely desire. Over the period of the month, the total transfered would not exceed the allocated transfer limit, or if it did you would pay a bit extra.

However, Server4Me gives you a throttled line, based on the amount you pay. So while $50 pm of a dedicated server sounds great, they only give a 56Kb line (effectively the speed of a modem). To be completely blunt, this is complete crap, and noone in their right mind would host a server of such a slow link. Granted, you will still get 18Gb transfer pm (quick calc off the top of my head), but instantanious use with more than one concurrent user, or a user connecting via ISDN/DSL would be dire. You should not host off less than 256Kb line ($149pm at S4M), even if you site is relatively low usage. If you want to support more concurrent users, say above 5, then go higher. This pricing model as S4M means that to get the same throughput (concurrent users/speed, etc.) you end up paying more than at DigitalNation per month, and they offer you a better piece of hardware as well.

My advice? Stay well clear.

You have to look a little harder my friend. Scroll down a little further and and they offer by the gigabyte. (You have the choice of one or the other.) I agree completely about not taking a 56k line - it would turn off people mighty quick. But I can get 3 gigs of traffic for free and ten for $30 more (total. includes server)

Owen

Unhappy

You are partially hopeless!!!

You really need to read the whole thing.

I quote (from the paragraph below the bandwidth pricing):
    "* Important Note: If you make over 3GB mo. YOU WILL BE PAYING LESS. The amounts shown represent the maximum charge in each category. Your monthly charge will be pro-rated, according to the real usage.
    Example: If your real usage is 65GB you will be charged for this month only $299 for the first 50GB and $60 pro-rated for 15GB for a total of $359 , which is much less than the maximum amount of $750 shown for this category."

And those prices include the server.

Owen

[This message has been edited by Owen (edited 07-07-2000).]

sounds like Owen has some personal stake in it to me...Newbies - avoid questionable hosts such as this..

Even thought I don't find myself agreeing with hosting companies very oftern, DanielP is talking a lot of sense.

In essence, Server4Me is giving you a crap web server and charging you for the bandwidth. If that's the way you want to go then good luck. Because of the pricing model, something has to go. That something will probably be decent support.

The old quote of you get what you pay for resides here. You seem set on their services, if you are confident then go for it. I like it when people prove me wrong as I learn from it. Just keep us posted how you get on.

By the way, I can't remember reading anything about fault tolerance in their network on their site, that too is something to consider.

Actually, I haven't found a soul who uses them, so until I do, I'm going to stick with my multitude of virtual servers.

The points y'all made are well taken.

Thanks,
    Owen

I'd also be wary of any server on shared lines with dial-up customers. It looks like they may do that since they are an ISP first and foremost. Dial-up drags lines down quickly...When will you get the most hits? When the most people are on - which is when the most bandwidth will be used up.

------------------
    Chris Marks
    KBS Web Hosting
    http://www.netfronts.com

When I emailed Server4me, I asked them about the FreeBSD install they do, the guy that responded didn't know crap about what all was put on the box.

Fallus Guest

hmmm...

I'm also interested in these cheap dedicated servers... but I also have my doubts, so let me know if you find someone who used them!

I can say the same to you.

Do the math.
    49 bucks gets you a server and 3gb bandwidth, that doesn't go far.

Make it 99 bucks and you get max of 10gb (adding 50 dollars/month for 10gb roughly 5 dollars per gb)

Again, upto 50gb its still 5 dollars per

Lets keep going.

Next package, 750 a month, 150gb bandwidth it gets a bit better, about 4.67 per gb. But who wants to pay 750/month if your only use 100gb of bandwidth.....

Next, 2150 a month for 500gb bandwidth is @ 4.20 per gb, getting better but again, who wants to pay for 500gb bandwidth when their just using 200gb bandwidth if you notice they say 150 to 500gb bandwidth a month, its a big rip off charging you BIG time for stuff you don't use.

I don't know about you but 200gb a month and 500gb a month is a big difference, in both usage and price don't you agree?

------------------
    Sincerely~
    Daniel Pearson
    UltraSpeed USA
    http://www.ultraspeedusa.com
    AIM: UltraSpeedUSA
    Email: dpearson@ultraspeedusa.com
    Phone: 1-205-785-1872

Read my other msg posted where you posted about them.

Some things just "can't" be sold that cheap and actually make a profit, their most likley taking a LOSS on that server.

------------------
    Sincerely~
    Daniel Pearson
    UltraSpeed USA
    http://www.ultraspeedusa.com
    AIM: UltraSpeedUSA
    Email: dpearson@ultraspeedusa.com
    Phone: 1-205-785-1872

For numerical calculations

This is an old thread, and when it was active no-one had
    heard of anyone with any experience with server4me. Is there anyone now out there with any experience with server4me?

There deals are not suitable for people with high bandwidth requirements but are ideal for people with inceaasing CPU requirements and low bandwidth requirements, like us.

But it is very curious that such a large company like A+Net can run a hosting service for years and no one has heard of anyone who has used there services?
    WebCab Components - For Mathematical and Financial EJB's and JavaBeans

Note: they no longer offer $49/mo server... it's now $99/mo. With this price and probably just adding more (like.. extra $30/mo), I will go to a better server specs with cheaper IPs, bandwith, hardware upgrade...

Server4me had my intention (Even with their $49/mo deal), but not for long due to their expensive bandwith upgrade...

cheers,