tabbed html page and seo

Hello it is my first post here.

I was just wondering if an html page was made of tabs using ajax to switch contents of the page with respect to the tab we are in. Would that have a negative effect on seo?

Thanks

It depends on the method you use. Did you have something specific in mind?

yes what I have in mind is that the user clicks a tab when he clicks this will call a javascript function then the javascript will call a php page that will echo the new contents of the tab

hope it is clear

My own personal opinion on tabbed layouts, is when there is not an over-abundance of copy in the various tabs, that you setup all of the tabs content in Div's in the same pages content rather than pulling it in via javascript. This gives you not only the ability for search engines to see the content (they will not currently if you are using javascript to call the pages in), but it will also give the spiders more content on that page to find keywords to rank for.
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

IMO javascript should be avoided whenever possible for any content that you want a search engine to see. Nuclei's methof of putting the content in divs is a clever method of getting around this problem or you could use CSS to make only certain portions of a page visible depending on the tab you click.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

Thanks all, I'll go the div way then.