What to do with this domain?

Hi there,
    Been stuck for a while on this one...

I bought these domains:

amillionphotos.com
    amillionphotos.co.uk
    amillionphotos.net

after seeing a certain thread with a 'million' in it (take a guess ). Anyhow, at the time I had a fantastic idea for it - but that was at 3am - when I woke up in the morning my opinion on the idea changed.

So any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

PS: The original idea was to upload a photo at a $1 a photo and when a million photos had been uploaded they'd all be displayed on the homepage for internet history but then as I say when I woke up - that went out the window as I can't see people doing that and also it'd be very difficult (impossible I think is a better word!) to fit a million photos nicely on the front page, even if they were small!

Start a photoblogging service.

I considered that but don't you think that's a little full with companies already? I can't really see me being able to offer anything unique compared to the big boys in photo blogging either?

Give them to me as a chrismas present

image hosting? yawn!

stock photos?

Why not attempt the first idea? What's the worst that can happen? You waste a few hours and maybe gain a few bucks?
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Well if I did the first idea - can you see anyway of me getting a million photos on one page or any idea how I can get around that problem?

How about a photography contest. You wait until 1,000,000 photos have been submitted, and once you get there you hold a 3 month vote on which photo is the best. After the votes are counted, you could give them a new camera, or some cash, or some photography supplies, or something which relates to photogrpahy.

It's an original idea.

Good idea ub3r. Thanks for that - could indeed work!

Thanks.

Assuming your visitors used a 1024 x 768 resolution monitor then you could squeeze on 786,432 images (all 1x1). Obviously these images will be too small to view. So, I think the answer is that you can't get a million images on the screen at the same time!

How about onehundredthousandimages.com?

Chris
    Chris Black | Co-Founder | Traffic Truffle
    traffictruffle.com | We tell you which businesses have visited your website

Hi Chris,
    onehundredthousandimages.com though just doesn't have the same ring to it unfortunately... needs to be something easy to remember...

I'm looking into ub3r's idea... see how it goes.

Thanks,

Chris

I like ub3r's idea. If you have enough funding you could advertise on DeviantArt, MySpace, et cetera.. have a hundred or so categories, and you'll be set.

How do you mean by categories Dan?

The only issue I can think of is voting.

How could I make it legitimate.

After all, even if I created a registration - they could always use a different email address and re-register.

I could use mobile phone voting... but chances are that would rule out the US.

Any suggestions on that?

Also, does anybody know if there would be any restrictions on age if entering for a prize?

Hire a staff, and have them monitor all entries, and votes.

Haha. My only other thought is to charge to vote?

That would deter people from voting more than once.

chances are if people vote more than once it's because it is a really good photo.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Lol. This could well be true.

As far as membership goes.. just require them to confirm their email address each time. So what if someone registers ten email addresses? It still makes it a PITA to vote a lot.. if you hire a decent programmer you can come up with other circumventions such as limiting vote per image per hour..

By categories I mean "Nature","Photoshopped","Funny","Buildings", et cetera. Basically split up content so people don't have to sort through all million photos.

Ok re membership.

I was originally thinking of just faces though...?

Yes, I don't like my idea much either. I suppose my point was that the original idea isn't going to work. Looks like some good alternatives have emerged though.
    Chris Black | Co-Founder | Traffic Truffle
    traffictruffle.com | We tell you which businesses have visited your website

How about phone verification? It's expensive, but it would be almost foolproof.

what about charging say $1 to submit a picture, and have a few prizes for when you hit the 1 million pictures.

If you charge $1 per picture, then you are going to have a million to play with, say take half of that for your self, and the other half spend on prizes.
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!

I like ub3r's idea as well, the question is only if people will have the patience to wait that long. 1 million photos is a lot
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

Originally posted by chrisblack
    Assuming your visitors used a 1024 x 768 resolution monitor then you could squeeze on 786,432 images (all 1x1). Obviously these images will be too small to view. So, I think the answer is that you can't get a million images on the screen at the same time!

How about onehundredthousandimages.com?

Chris
    Or onemilliontwohundredfiftyfivethousandthreehundrednintyninetwentynine.com
    Lol i proabaly didnt get that right need to go to sleep lol..

Originally posted by awibble
    what about charging say $1 to submit a picture, and have a few prizes for when you hit the 1 million pictures.

If you charge $1 per picture, then you are going to have a million to play with, say take half of that for your self, and the other half spend on prizes.
    That would be lovely to think that but PayPal (assuming I use them) or most other processors fees would greatly reduce every $1 I receive then we've got tax to think about...

Having said that I could randomly select 20 people from the million... they then each win a prize... then people vote whos the best out of the 20 there.

Whoever wins gets a big prize.

Quote Originally Posted by KI-ChrisE
    Hi there,
    Been stuck for a while on this one...

I bought these domains:

amillionphotos.com
    amillionphotos.co.uk
    amillionphotos.net

PS: The original idea was to upload a photo at a $1 a photo and when a million photos had been uploaded they'd all be displayed on the homepage for internet history but then as I say when I woke up - that went out the window as I can't see people doing that and also it'd be very difficult (impossible I think is a better word!) to fit a million photos nicely on the front page, even if they were small!
    I know... I know.... old thread. BUT...

You can breath new life into this project if you look at the domain a bit differently. Rather than One Million being a NUMBER, how about using it as an adjective instead.... as in "Looks like A Million, photos...."

You can then break out of the COUNT scenario and start looking at the QUALITY of the photos you deal with. You can go with Fashion, Photo Art, Model's, etc. High Quality Images as content make really cool sites ;-)
    RCMedia Services Most Anything Digital