Thread: Support

Fred Guest

Do most dedicated server companies provide free tech support for admins? The reason Im asking is that in the terms at cobaltracks.com, its free for the first 60 days and then its $100 per hour

It is very unlikely that you will find a dedicated server provider that offers free tech support. Most providers assume that the "admins" are programmers.

If you don't know much about administering a server, some providers offer support packages, where you pay a flat rate for tech support.

I wish I knew of a few off hand, but my mind is drawing a blank.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 08-03-2000).]

Whew!! Well that was another factor why we chose Alabanza---support IS included.

------------------
    HostCaters--We Cater Hosting
    www.hostcaters.com

Cool

Hello,
    Looking for free support for life for your server? And just have to pay $120/month which can get you up to 10GB of hard drive, 64MB ram, etc...? First month is $420. After that it cost $120/month. I am Mike. I own Sites Hosting which is www.siteshosting.com. I was looking thru dedicated server companys and I came across this company which is InterServer.net. They are very good I heard from couple of there clients. AIM/ICQ/phone Support 24 hours a day.with no COST at all. Free support. Server is down and you did it? Just Instant Message or call and they will fix it in less than 10 minutes.
    Email sales@siteshosting.com I'll get you everything you want for a really low low price. Thanks a lot.
    There is no catch.
    If you get dedicated server with InterServer tell them Mike told you from siteshosting.com. They will then contact me and I can lower the price for you couple bucks. Thanks again, and good luck to all of you.

Slow down there SitesHosting...

The $120.00 only pays for the server rental at Interserver. You have to pay seperately for the bandwidth, as none is included with the servers. Their bandwidth fees seem a bit high once you use more than 10GB per month. So, if Fred were to use 60GB of monthly bandwidth, his monthly fees would actually be $520.00.

However, customer support seems to be on the helpful side. They have a support message board set up for discussion of problems, etc. Also, they state on their web site that they do not charge additional fees for support calls.

One thing that I did notice, is that on the server features page, it states that RealServer is included, but on the message board, Interserver states "HTTP stream only".

I believe rackspace also offers this, but have never used them, only checked their site once, etc. If you are interested check it out. I seem to remember this from other posts. note: could be wrong

Fred,

I would stay away from companies such as Cobalt Rack and Dialtone that charge you for support and lock you into a contract. Rackspace.com is probably the best. Yes, there prices are higher but the extra fee works out to about one hour of paid support from Dialtone which you get free from Rackspace.com. Catalog.com is also good, they always provided me with free technical support but I don't know if they have changed this.

Scott

Many dedicated server companies offer some support for free and/or for a limited time and charge for other things. Rackspace charges $62.50 per half hour ($125 hourly) while Catalog.com charges $100 hourly during business hours, $250 otherwise.

Years ago, Robert Heinlein coined the phrase TANSTAAFL (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch). You pay for support anywhere you go. It can be as you need it or built into higher prices, much like the discussion about bandwidth.

TANSTAAFL. Poor grammar, good sense.

[This message has been edited by Duster (edited 08-04-2000).]

well i am with rackspace for the last 2 months and haven't paid for support yet... i send literally hundreds of support tickets and emails me since i have never admin a server before

they even rang me long distance to explain stuff, follow up on how i am doing with my server and all... shocked me when i first got their call... not use to hearing American accents over the phone

------------------
    Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mike,

Oh I forgot about the bandwidth. They offer me 10GB of bandwidth for $120/month, They gave me a good deal. But yea when bandwidth is not included it can be kind of much.
    Mike Griffin
    siteshosting.com

$12/Gig? Not the worst i have seen but far from the best. If your server gets more traffic you might want to look to other providers.

Thumbs up

Catalog.com Has free tech support.

Originally posted by Kelly:
    Catalog.com Has free tech support.
    Check their web site. Some things are free, others will cost $100 hourly ($250 outside of business hours).

Fred,

What happens when you start using more than your alloted 10GB limit? How much are they going to charge you per GB once you exceed your limit?

Or do they "cap" your bandwidth so that you can not exceed your limit? Doing this may save you the extra costs, but would most certainly slow your data transfer rate.

And I agree with Chicken, $12/GB is a bit too much for bandwidth. If your server starts handing many requests, you will get hit with astronomical bandwidth fees that you most likely aren't prepared for.

Mike,
    I used 49.5/GB last month. I bought 10GB. This month I used 10/GB already and they said once you get up to 50GB I will talk to you again to buy some more GB. I am telling you InterServer is the best. They gave me 40GB extra a month and I am only paying $120/month, I know it's to hard to believe it. But baby you bettter believe it becuase it's real.
    Mike Griffin
    siteshosting.com

Mike,

I hate programs where the bandwidth is extra and not part of the basic package, $8 a gig sounds a bit much to me.

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited 08-07-2000).]

Mike,
    Don't really have a relationship. When I talk to them I only ask questions about my server and if they can fix this problem and stuff. It is odd but it's great there giving me more bandwidth at no cost.

Very odd that they would do that... What type of relationship do you have with them?

In your previous post, you stated:

If you get dedicated server with InterServer tell them Mike told you from siteshosting.com. They will then contact me and I can lower the price for you couple bucks.
    How can you lower their prices?

I wish I could call up a company, and lower their prices for someone else.