Hosting for heavy traffic site

Ok so I recently purchased a website with 36,000 visitors monthly named <<snipped>> (I know its down actually because my hosting couldn't handle it) and I am need of a host that supports FFMPEG. I have used mediatemple.net before and they have a great support line and control panel.

I was looking to buy mediatemple(.net)'s hosting plan for the (DV)Dedicated Virtual

I was wondering will this be big enough to handle 1000 visits a day and is it worth the price?
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 10-09-2007 at 11:00 PM.

(dv) is quite expensive, and there are a lot of horror stories about mediatemple here at wht. I've dealt with a (dv) a couple of times, and connection speeds to Europe are just dramatic.

So do you have another suggestion without self promoting (ex.my company because its mine) of a well known host that does a great job has a great backend and I can either install ffmpeg or has it previously installed that can handle this amount of traffic?

I know mediatemple is mostly marketing and overpriced but I want something that is big time not a small company.

I hear amazons emc2 or whatever is a really great service how does that work and is it what im looking for?

Thanks!

Hello Dave

Are you going to just stream the videos? or do you need to convert all them using ffmpeg too?
    I'm asking you because it's going to be a big difference on the CPU usage if you have to convert 1000 videos a day.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 10-09-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Ok so it usually has around 200.17 GB/month Bandwith and as I said 1000 visits a day on average and yes it hosts and converts to FFMPEG.

What price range are you looking at?

I was hopeing to be somewhere in the double digits at worst in the early xxx.

I like softlayer.com . Their options are on the higher end of your range, but they run specials all the time (look for the tab in the navigation).

Yes, if you're going to get that number of videos converted every day, I suggest you to go to a dedicated server.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I'd recommend a dedicated server for your site, go with a managed dedicated server with a control panel (if you need one).
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

Quote Originally Posted by crucialx View Post
    I'd recommend a dedicated server for your site, go with a managed dedicated server with a control panel (if you need one).
    I third the dedicated server route. That or a VPS. I don't think bandwidth would be too much of a problem, it's all of the video conversion that will be occurring that is going to work the server.
    Affordable, Reliable Hosting
    www.blueyonderhosting.com