Colocrossing Buffalo

Hello everyone,

Been quite a while since I've done a review of anyone so here we go

Pre sales

In May of last year we started throwing around the idea of opening an east coast location. Originally the main people we were looking into were choopa, interservers, & coloat.

One of Jon's (CC's owner) closer friends insisted that I at least let colocrossing bid on our build out, so we did. A quick email to Jon and a few skype messages later we were hashing out the details of what we needed and our current bids. We talked over the phone for a few hours while he told me the benefits of their Buffalo location and insisted we could work out a deal.

Sure enough, being the aggressive sales rep he is, he beat out everyone else's offer with ease.

Initial setup

Once we had our contract & invoicing handled we started placing hardware orders to be dropped right at CC's Buffalo offices. Alas, this is one of the bumpier times we had with them. While all the gear got there without issue, there seemed to be some miscommunication with them about just when we were wanting to roll out. After some annoyed emails back/forth between Jon, myself, & our billing manager, they started to build out the gear.

Support & remote hands

Part of the agreement involved Jon & his crew assembling our equipment from parts shipped in from newegg/amazon/etc. Their techs did a solid job following instructions and doing it within a timely manner. Minus a single SSD not showing up in the BIOS, all of the nodes were to spec w/o a single heat issue or backwards ethernet. All IPMI's were wired up as requested too.

The single SSD that was reporting wrong they came back the following day, fixed & confirmed it was all a go.

Since then we've had to work with their support mostly for network related things and they've always been pretty quick to at least let me know that they have engineering peaking into it.

Network & engineering team

The network consists of Telia & Level3 with Cogent/XO somewhere in the future. Pretty simple, it's solid. The only outages we've had that were because of one of them was Telia taking a dump during the hurricane in September/October.

We've had some outages due to their blackhole communities taking 5+ seconds to kick in but this seems to be just how junipers try to control route flapping. We've been caught off guard at least 2 times to date with our router getting thrown offline since the flood was in the few gbits range.

We've since then replaced the platform we used with something that can deal with the large spikes w/o throwing a fit.

Alex himself is their main (only?) network engineer. He knows his stuff and recently helped us with what he claimed was our BGP session being dampened by their upstream.

The biggest gripe anyone will have about their network is they still don't have IPV6 available natively in their locations (well, at least in Buffalo). "In a few months" is the usual response when it comes to this (wonder where they heard that excuse from? *cough*).

TL;DR

Good network, solid pricing, no IPV6, & intelligent staff that know how to replace motherboards 3 times in a row.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    The network consists of Telia & Level3 with Cogent/XO somewhere in the future.
    Please let it be Cogent! Also, tell them to ask Tinet to come to Buffalo.

Nice review, though.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    Please let it be Cogent! Also, tell them to ask Tinet to come to Buffalo.

Nice review, though.
    I've voiced that I'd rather see Cogent over XO but who knows

A few of my users reported seeing Cogent routes at one point but I've yet to see any.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Cogent is already in the mix right now.
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles