Spyware - follow the money

This is rather long article by someone who "...spent about six hours removing the infection, but also tracking down the source of the infection, and painstakingly backtracking all the popup ads that the virus displayed on her computer. My goal: Follow the money. Discover where the infection came from, and who was making money from it. The results were, to say the least, interesting."

He is particularly hard on some well known hosts.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/tacit/125748.html

interesting article.

If the author didn't use questionable language I'd print this out and get many other people to read it. Oh well, interesting enough

That is a really good write up. Thanks for sharing!

From the article...

"Rackspace is looking pretty bad here. In fact, Rackspace and Peer 1 Networks are both obviously dirty; both are up to their elbows in hosting and providing services for people who make money by serving popup ads through viruses and malware. It's hard to argue that either Rackspace or Peer 1 Networks is simply being duped by a client, particularly in light of the fact that emails to both outfits concerning this situation go unanswered, and in light of the fact that the virus-dropping Web site is still up three days after I've emailed the responsible hosts..."

I would be very interested to see what representatives from either company had to say in this regard.

Indeed. I would also be interested.