Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips to Finding the Perfect Host for You

With so many web hosting companies available to choose from, how do you find a web host that will be fast and reliable? By following just a few simple tips, you will find that you can reduce the stress of finding that perfect host. First, when you are looking on a prospective host’s website, and you see the words “unlimited disk space” or “unlimited bandwidth” understand, that there is no way for the provider to give you unlimited disk space or bandwidth. Second, if you see a web host selling an outrageous amount of disk space and bandwidth, and they are not charging a large amount of money, they are overselling. Overselling is not necessarily a bad thing, but something to think about, if a web host is overselling by a large amount, you are at greater risk of having your account suspended or terminated then if you go with a web host that does not oversell. An overselling web host is defined as any web host who sells more bandwidth and/or disk space then they really have. This is not necessarily a problem, as long as it is done smartly. For disk space, a safe ruling is if a host is selling three gigabyte of space for every one gigabyte of space that they actually have, they are most likely going to be able to handle your account. When you find a host that is offering sixty gigabyte of disk space, and three terabyte of bandwidth, then it is quite definitely oversold. The final thing that you as a consumer should look for is claims of twenty-four hour support. Try the companies support at random times of the day and night and find out if they truly offer 24 hour support. If they are not able to answer your questions within a reasonable amount of time, then they have lied on their website. If they are going to lie to you about their support, then what else are they going to be lying to you about? In short, avoid “unlimited” hosts, as nothing is unlimited, avoid severely oversold web hosting, and make sure that the companies support is what they claim. If you follow all of the recommendations in this article, you will find a host who is more then likely going to be perfect for you.

For disk space, a safe ruling is if a host is selling three gigabyte of space for every one gigabyte of space that they actually have, they are most likely going to be able to handle your account.
    Does this mean that overselling disk 3 times is something that could be handled? Didn't quite get it...

From previous experience, most clients use less then 1/3 the space they are allocated, so yes a disk in theory can be safely oversold 3 times its full capacity. Would I do this, no. But given some of the outrageous overselling happening with some other companies, finding a host that only sells for 3 times its full capacity will be difficult. Ex. Dreamhost 500gb disk space, 5tb bandwidth.
    Last edited by WHR-Admin; 11-27-2007 at 03:53 AM.

I think that each customer has his own approach to the chosing web hosting company. All articles written about that is articles about summary experience.
    Most of our customers came to us because they were suggested buy friends. Big part of our new customers have first staeps in the internet at all. OFFLINE has a powerful image for the new customers. (mouth to mouth).
    People who are online - very exactingness for the web hosting.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Web hosts offering unlimited hosting plans or those which oversell too much have usually strict Terms of Service. If you read the Terms carefully you will probably discover that you can not use what they offer without breaking some of their rules

Can you give a clear picture of overselling, like if there is 100GB of disk space and 10 clients each allocated 10GB. How can he oversell?

Nowadays it is very common to learn what is overselling. Just go to any stable company and you will get there 300GB to 600GB space with 1000GB to 6000GB bandwidth. Think if 20% of customers have used their 10% i.e. 50GB each then they will have to install 1 server per 10 customers which will make them crying. This is what overselling, companies know that you are not going to use as much space as allocated to you. so they will sell almost 100 accounts of 500GB(as said) on one server of space 500GB. And it works fine.
    Vijay | sales@indianets.com
    indianets.com - Serving successfully since 2007
    Cheapest Multiple C-Class IP Hosting by indianets.com
    Reliable servers | Top Notch Support | Stable

yes that is overselling i have to say.

What if the company that is offering 5000Gb is on the market for 10 years.
    I should by or not?

Quote Originally Posted by rohnSimonS View Post
    Does this mean that overselling disk 3 times is something that could be handled? Didn't quite get it...
    Have to tell you . i think overselling is a bad idea . ive never done it with any of my companys . why you ask ?

Well the reason is . if you have your alotted space and now your into overselling . now if you dont get some extra space soon your going to be suspended and have to pay to get turned back on . now while your doing this . all your sites that are hosted with you are now also suspended . and now it makes you look bad no matter the outcome or what happen . your clients have been suspended for no reason . its not there fault . so i just rather not put my clients through it . ive seen other companys do it and suffer because of it . kinda risky if you ask me

My 2 cents .

<<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 03-25-2008 at 08:30 AM.

I need your Help

Hi i am newly join this forum so i need your help to reply complete post.

thanks
    san
    professionally managed Web hosting India, Host Company offer Reliable Web Hosting India at economic rate.

Quote Originally Posted by HTweak View Post
    Have to tell you . i think overselling is a bad idea . ive never done it with any of my companys . why you ask ?

Well the reason is . if you have your alotted space and now your into overselling . now if you dont get some extra space soon your going to be suspended and have to pay to get turned back on . now while your doing this . all your sites that are hosted with you are now also suspended . and now it makes you look bad no matter the outcome or what happen . your clients have been suspended for no reason . its not there fault . so i just rather not put my clients through it . ive seen other companys do it and suffer because of it . kinda risky if you ask me

My 2 cents .

<<snipped>>
    I have to comment here that on many levels overselling is not horrible in itself, its good business. For that’s that haven’t caught on overselling is offering more then you can provide.

An example:
    Let’s say you start a hosting company by building a server in your home and getting someone to provide you with 100MB of bandwidth per month. At first you start off by offering 10 clients 10MB each month. This is great, and you notice that nine clients uses only 2MB a month, and one 10MB. So you decide that you can sell more accounts, even though you don't really have them. The next time you offer 40 accounts. So maybe 35 of you users use 2MB, 4 of them use 5MB, and 1 uses 10MB. Now you are at your full 100MB, yet you are making 4 times as much money!

The problem here is that many companies realize that keeping the 10MB customer is no longer worthwhile, you are better off finding new customers as you could offer 5 normal users the same package for the same cost to you.

For this reason you can find companies that oversell their resources by ten times what they can provide, but they balance it well enough that YOU can use that ten times your share. This is a great company to find because they make money, and you save a lot of money in the long run. However, if you find a company that will kick you off for using what you were promised, they are a horrible (and immoral) company that you should not do business with, and that you should tell others to avoid as well.

ive seen many start up companies trying to entice people to use their hosting and they always offer a large amount of space for a very cheap price. i will definiely look into that more now before I pay

For example godaddy.com offer 10 GB space for the economy plan but host more than 600 domain in one server , this is one of the overselling (600 * 10 GB = 6000GB)

Is there really any major difference from hosting with a lesser known company compared to a big name host if you are using shared hosting?

Nowadays, if you start choosing company on the point OVERSELLING, you will end up with either none or a clever company charging 3 times more than overselling company.

Overselling has both +ve and -ve sides. You get cheapest price from the world's most trusted companies due to the fact overselling, this is +ve and you get kicked off after using a reasonable amount of resources this is -ve.
    Vijay | sales@indianets.com
    indianets.com - Serving successfully since 2007
    Cheapest Multiple C-Class IP Hosting by indianets.com
    Reliable servers | Top Notch Support | Stable

great explation. Thanks

The way things going these days, most people are going to be overseller. Look at HostGator, hardly any complaints and they oversell.

Thanks for the info!

I agree with you to some extent.

I am kind of lost at the moment but after reading some threads here, it does open up my mind abit to what is happening in the web hosting industry.

I do have questions though. What is exactly overselling? And if it is wrong, or not good in a way, then why are the big companies able to get away with it? On the other hand, hosts that don't oversell, are the specs really what I am getting?

thanx.

Cheers!

Call their tech support line BEFORE you buy. See what you are getting yourself into.

always check out the forum sto see how handy a community it is .. with chceap hosts especially you'll likely rely on user forums more than official support. so make sure it's active.

How can you find information about the specs of a hosting provider to discern if they are overselling? I know I can find all the websites hosted on a IP/Server, but how would I discover what the total disk space that is available on that same server?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast