Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I expecting too much? Recurrent short downtime

I'm hosted with a very well respected company (found via WHT, did plenty of research etc etc).

I don't wish to mention them at this point, as I don't know if I'm just expecting too much.

I'm using DNSMadeEasy DNS failover which is constantly monitoring my site and reports when it's down. When it's down, users are directed to a "be back shortly" type page.

Pretty much every other day my site is unavailable (according to DNSMadeEasy) for a short period and it swaps to the "be back shortly" page.

This downtime lasts between 2 and 16 minutes.

Today I have been down twice, Initially for 5 minutes, then 7 minutes (actually this is the first time this week).

Last week I had downtime every other day (again, just a few minutes at a time).

I've already put in 3 tickets over last couple of weeks, and received a prompt response each time (Reasons: DDOS and over running backup causing problems). I don't want to submit another ticket if I'm being unreasonable.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sneaksms View Post
    I'm hosted with a very well respected company (found via WHT, did plenty of research etc etc).

I don't wish to mention them at this point, as I don't know if I'm just expecting too much.

I'm using DNSMadeEasy DNS failover which is constantly monitoring my site and reports when it's down. When it's down, users are directed to a "be back shortly" type page.

Pretty much every other day my site is unavailable (according to DNSMadeEasy) for a short period and it swaps to the "be back shortly" page.

This downtime lasts between 2 and 16 minutes.

Today I have been down twice, Initially for 5 minutes, then 7 minutes (actually this is the first time this week).

Last week I had downtime every other day (again, just a few minutes at a time).

I've already put in 3 tickets over last couple of weeks, and received a prompt response each time (Reasons: DDOS and over running backup causing problems). I don't want to submit another ticket if I'm being unreasonable.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    You are not at all being unreasonable. If DDOS is a big issue on the server you are on for shared hosting I would ask to be moved to another server. That should solve some of the downtime issues.
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

what is there updtime guarantee?Not that is an exsuse for so much downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Innerwish View Post
    what is there updtime guarantee?Not that is an exsuse for so much downtime.
    99.9%
    [Message must be at least 10 characters]

99.9%
    [Message must be at least 10 characters]
    I would certainly ask for credit for the downtime and see if they are willing to move you to a server with less issues. It would be wise for them to do so or they will have to keep crediting you for downtime

If they continue like that i would suggest finding a new company.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleH View Post
    I would certainly ask for credit for the downtime and see if they are willing to move you to a server with less issues. It would be wise for them to do so or they will have to keep crediting you for downtime
    I'm not too fussed about receiving credit for downtime - I just want my site to be up :-) Not worth it for a few £.

I don't want services for free, I just want services that work :-(

I'm not too fussed about receiving credit for downtime - I just want my site to be up :-) Not worth it for a few £.

I don't want services for free, I just want services that work :-(

You are correct. Uptime is something that you want when you buy space from a company. And as i see from what you told us they are failing to give you the 99.9% guarantee
    SnelBit.com - Internet Services!
    Shared Web Hosting | VPS Hosting | Europe VPS | SSD Dedicated Servers
    Innovation - Professionalism - Dedication | Simple reasons to choose us for being your Hosting Provider!

I should add that I'm only paying in the region of £3 a month for the shared hosting, but it's a small site and fits well within the smallest hosting package of the provider.

The provider is one that is regularly recommended for shared hosting here so I don't think it's a case of "you get what you pay for".

I should add that support tickets are answered promptly and my initial migration to the company was handled fantastically.

If they offer a 99.9% uptime. Then they offer it on all their packages....Most people need hosting for personal websites and they buy the smallest package there is no excuse of downtime on basic or business packages, even if you pay 0.10 per month!!!
    SnelBit.com - Internet Services!
    Shared Web Hosting | VPS Hosting | Europe VPS | SSD Dedicated Servers
    Innovation - Professionalism - Dedication | Simple reasons to choose us for being your Hosting Provider!

Only you can say whether you are expecting too much. Their guarantee may be 99.9% (in which case you are entitled to claim - it's not being unreasonable to do that), but that doesn't mean you require 99.9%. How much downtime are you willing to put up with.

If you are getting more downtime than that, then either ask them to move you to another server and see if it helps or switch. If, on the other hand, the level of downtime you have is reasonable for your site, then stick with it.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Does anyone have any feedback on the reliability of DNSMadeEasy's failover system? I don't want to blame my host if it's just DNSMadeEasy being over zealous and swapping over too easily. Thanks for replies so far

Same Thing

I had a very similar issue with a company when I was first starting my hosting company. We where on a reseller and it was down every hour or so, and the host said that they where having a DDOS attack. So I asked to be moved to a server with less people, and one that does not get attacked every day. And they moved me and all my flies very promptly. Then after they moved me (Another month past) it started to happen again... So I picked up my files and left to a datacenter. I have been overly happy with the datacenter and company I am with now, and have already bought 2 servers from them. So any way, my suggestion is to ask to be moved just like what MichelleH said. And if it drags on, look for a new system or host (Never replace something that is working for you, it will save you money). There is my 2 cents, Best of luck!

To the question
    Does anyone have any feedback on the reliability of DNSMadeEasy's failover system? I don't want to blame my host if it's just DNSMadeEasy being over zealous and swapping over too easily. Thanks for replies so far
    Some host deploy a firewall that will block connections like this, to prevent DDOS attacks. And all the DNSMadeEasy is doing is pinging the server (The server might think it is a attack). I would ask you host that and see if they are blocking this. (We use the CSF fire wall and I know many other host use this, and it does do that if they have the security set on high.) ;D
    Last edited by ZackaryP; 11-02-2011 at 12:47 PM.

You may want to check if the monitor IP is not being blocked, also, contact to your host about it, maybe they can change your account of server.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Definitely you must ask them to change server IPs or move you to new server, otherwise it will be headache for you.

just under 1 hour per month

Your agreed on down time is just under 1 hour per month. If that happens during peek time and at 5 mins here ans there it will drive you nuts!
    Why do you use this DNS service? unless it redirects to another site on another account it is basically useless, the browsers error page will let users know there is a problem!
    Nexxterra.com Web Services
    MassiveServers.com
    Web Hosting, Dedicated servers and Domain Registration - Miami, Florida, USA
    BuyAWebName.com Domain name registration

In my opinion, it all depends on how long you have been hosting with them. If you have been with them awhile and this recently, just started happening, I would cut them some slack. If you just signed up with them, I would be a little more concerned, however that does not mean you should cut and run just yet. I would write them one more ticket and ask them when they expect the issue to be resolved as a whole? Meaning, when can you expect your site not to be down daily (even if its just for a few minuets).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by nexxterra View Post
    Why do you use this DNS service? unless it redirects to another site on another account it is basically useless, the browsers error page will let users know there is a problem!
    I think it's the lesser of 2 evils. The notice says some work is being done and the site will be back shortly. I prefer having that there than just connections timing out. It also doubles as my down-time alert.

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    In my opinion, it all depends on how long you have been hosting with them. If you have been with them awhile and this recently, just started happening, I would cut them some slack. If you just signed up with them, I would be a little more concerned, however that does not mean you should cut and run just yet. I would write them one more ticket and ask them when they expect the issue to be resolved as a whole? Meaning, when can you expect your site not to be down daily (even if its just for a few minuets).
    I've only just joined them, but they really do have a very good reputation here.

I think I've stressed plenty of positive aspects, so I think it's appropriate to say that the site is now hosted with EZPZ.

I'm sure everyone would agree that they wouldn't expect these problems with EZPZ judging by their reviews here, which is why I wanted to sure up my position first.

Thanks again for replies

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleH View Post
    You are not at all being unreasonable. If DDOS is a big issue on the server you are on for shared hosting I would ask to be moved to another server. That should solve some of the downtime issues.
    How would shifting accounts fix the issue at hand?

Quote Originally Posted by xbhosting View Post
    If they offer a 99.9% uptime.
    99.9% uptime still works out at 43.2 minutes of downtime per month.

Quote Originally Posted by xbhosting View Post
    there is no excuse of downtime on basic or business packages, even if you pay 0.10 per month!!!
    What rubbish are you talking, Downtime can happen regardless of the "package" or price you pay.

Banks have some of the best networking professionals in the industry but they have outages from time to time.

Virgin Media is one of the biggest bandwidth providers in the UK yet they still have downtime and network issues.

Regardless of how you have your network setup their is still single points of failure, One of them is of course DDoS attacks this can bring the whole network down if its big enough.

Also things like motherboards, unless you have dual everything which for £3 a month its not feesable.
    Last edited by Server Management; 11-02-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    How would shifting accounts fix the issue at hand?
    The OP posted that they told him the server was being ddos, so if on a shared account and they moved him to a new server then he should not be on a server anymore that is getting the dos attack

I'm sure everyone would agree that they wouldn't expect these problems with EZPZ judging by their reviews here, which is why I wanted to sure up my position first.

Thanks again for replies
    Well in all honesty, these types of problems can be expected with any host (whether they have good reputation or not), downtime can and will occur (especially if its related to a DDOS attack). Whats most important is how they handle the situation and whether the situations are handled within a timely manner.

With that being said, the important items you should stress with your current web host, is finding out exactly or an estimate as to when you can expect these issues to resolved. Surely, at some point, downtime occurring daily (even if its just for a 4-5 mins at a time) is not going to be acceptable (so its important to set a timeline).

Either way, now that you have made the information public, im sure EZ will be more inclined to assist/address your issue (I believe they have a rep who is on WHT fairly often).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Pardon if someone already asked this, but does this outage occur at a pretty consistent time each day?

Could it be related to when backups run on the server?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I think it's the lesser of 2 evils. The notice says some work is being done and the site will be back shortly. I prefer having that there than just connections timing out. It also doubles as my down-time alert.

I've only just joined them, but they really do have a very good reputation here.

I think I've stressed plenty of positive aspects, so I think it's appropriate to say that the site is now hosted with EZPZ.

Thanks again for replies
    Please PM me your domain name and I'll be happy to investigate for you.

Quote Originally Posted by snajuco View Post
    To the question

Some host deploy a firewall that will block connections like this, to prevent DDOS attacks. And all the DNSMadeEasy is doing is pinging the server (The server might think it is a attack). I would ask you host that and see if they are blocking this. (We use the CSF fire wall and I know many other host use this, and it does do that if they have the security set on high.) ;D
    Yes, that was the first thing that came to my mind too. It's quite common to encounter this in trouble tickets.

The other thing to look at is the accuracy of the testing process. For example, do they in fact test from multiple servers simultaneously and then use a voting algorithm to decide whether the server is available.

The purpose of the parallel testing is to eliminate false positives that can happen due to problems at the provider end or on intervening network paths.

++
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Yes, that was the first thing that came to my mind too. It's quite common to encounter this in trouble tickets.

The other thing to look at is the accuracy of the testing process. For example, do they in fact test from multiple servers simultaneously and then use a voting algorithm to decide whether the server is available.

The purpose of the parallel testing is to eliminate false positives that can happen due to problems at the provider end or on intervening network paths.

++
    Yeah, I think we're all expecting DNSMadeEasy's checks to be valid based on their good reputation, but its possible that there is a problem on their end. I would set up an alternative monitor and see if it agrees with DNSMadeEasy, then present the info to my host and see what they say. They should also have server monitoring of their own that can shed light on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast