Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BurstNET or VenturesOnline ? dedicated server

which should I go for?

I'm planning on going to offer reseller support so I want my own dedicated server. so which is better?

I am going between the Burst # 4 and the VO # 2.

opinions and reasons why please.

thanks
    Evan Oliver
    SmooveNet
    http://www.smoovenet.com

Well.. I never use Burst.net, but I read that the support is a little slow.
    I have a dedicated in VO. and they are great!
    the support is really fast and they move form VDI to the Verio Noc in englewood (CO).
    I check my server with Qkw and it have 100% of uptime .
    Chuck, Paul and Danial are very nice guys, and have a LOT of patience, at least with me .
    My vote is for VO
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Originally posted by Jedito

Chuck, Paul and Danial are very nice guys, and have a LOT of patience, at least with me .
    My vote is for VO
    don't forget John and Pat as well

i have a dedicated server with VO moved it from when burst.net took over ultraspeedusa

very happy with VO
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

Ooops.. yes.. you're right
    I never talk with John.. but Pat is great too
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hmmm..

I too have been comparing these two plans.

I see that at Burst you get a 60GB drive at VO a 30.5.

Unlimited IP's at Burst, 20 at VO and small charges for additional.

Burst setup cost ZERO, VO is 300.

Additional Bandwidth is $4 / Per Gigabyte at Burst and rounded to nearest gig but at VO it is $3.00/month per gig, in blocks of 10 gig. ** VO states - Additional Bandwidth charges are automatic and we will bump you up 10 GB as default.

It looks like you can upgrade servers at time of setup at VO for a one time price (memory and such) but at Burst it looks to be a one time cost PLUS a monthly cost too, nothing like paying rental on memory you already purchased? :-(

VO much cheaper for daily backups .. Burst is 100 a month VO is 45.00

VO has a automated signup script for customers, not sure if this is offered at BURST, not sure how good it is either but may well be a MAJOR plus here, must be configurable for merchant account to be any good.

VO's Skin on their Panel looks much cooler ;-)

All and all it looks like Burst is cheaper, VO may have a cleaner setup, not sure ..

Connection - Burst - Looks outstanding with Sprint
    VO has a good one too with Verio

Support seems better at VO by looking at the message bases here.

This one looks like a close call to me, if it comes down to a money issue, it's burst for sure, otherwise it's a toss up!

Can anyone add to this?

Few notes/corrections:

1. Our 2nd DS3 will be live around the and of the month....thru AT&T.
    (Cable & Wireless postponed due to a surprise 40% price increase they gave us when we were about to sign the contract)

2. We will sell bandwidth in advance blocks of 50GB at $150 per month

3. NocSoft (DarkOrb Cpanel 4.0) will have automated billing w/merchant account & real time processing support...current scheduled release date August 2001. Upgrades free for our Cpanel 3.0 clients.

Sean R
    BurstNET
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Thumbs up

Originally posted by BurstNET

3. NocSoft (DarkOrb Cpanel 4.0) will have automated billing w/merchant account & real time processing support...current scheduled release date August 2001. Upgrades free for our Cpanel 3.0 clients.

Sean R
    BurstNET
    that is why I wanted to go with BurstNET because I liked the fact that NocSOFT will come in August for free.

but at Burst, they charge to customize the control panel which I think is so stupid. I mean why should I have to pay to make it different from their control panel.

and the bandwidth is cheaper at VO..

however, I'm not sure if Burst's connection is as good as VO's as burst just opened theirs VO uses Verio.

and it is hard to get in contact with BurstNET sales at this point in time which makes me feel not comfortable with going with them, as support may lack the ability to contact them too.

I'm not sure what I want to do right now, I would go with Burstnet becuase of the no setup but not too sure about support.
    Evan Oliver
    SmooveNet

Evan,

I'm in the same boat as you.

I want to go with Burst but lack of support is the thing that is holding me back.

Arrr.....

I wish burst would get their act together, and hire more tech's!

That is what we are in the middle of doing right now.
    We know that is our main weakness right now, and we are doing everything possible to correct this.
    We just hired two more admins (not techs, but people that really know what they are doing) this week.
    One started 3 days ago, and the other starts in two weeks.
    We are looking for even more staff still...reliable people are just very hard to find and keep.
    BurstNET currently has 14 employees...and we are adding to that as fast as we an qualify potential hires.

Sean R.
    BurstNET
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!

will there be dailybackup or weekly backup for every dedicate server? or we need do by ourselves?

Daily & Weekly Backups are an add-on feature for our dedicated servers.
    We handle it for you completely, if you order it.

Sean R.
    BurstNET

pwebtech

well I have decided not to go with neither burstnet or VO. I have decided to go with pwebtech.com.

I got a good offer there for a Dual PIII 1 GHz for about 400$ so I went for that. nice price, great support, great data center, etc. everything i was looking for.

now to get the money to get it, lol... anybody wanna help?

also, anybody want to become a reseller for Web Host Direct ?
    Evan Oliver
    SmooveNet

you need 6 month contract with pwebtech.com..
    Pay 6 month ahead?

No, you can pay monthly. In most cases we require a 6 month contract, in some cases we can do a 3 month contract.
    Jay

6 month

JUst because she/he signs a 6 month contract doesnt mean she has to pay 6 months in advanced, i dont know what his terms and conditions are, but he provides excellent service.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

I don't have to pay ahead. I got a 3 month contract that renews every 3 months... I needed some security just incase I had to leave.

I've been talking to Jay and the service seems great so far.
    Evan Oliver
    SmooveNet

BurstNet's support has gotten better the last few days. Brad is great and has helped me alot the last few days.
    John
    http://www.zurax.com
    http://www.jwshosting.com

Glad to hear that!
    Brad is one of our new admins...who's job is to do end-user tech support and answer sysadmin tickets.

Sean R.
    BurstNET

Re: pwebtech

Evan,

Nice deal.

How many RAM is in that machine?
    How many Bandwidth do you get a month?

Originally posted by Evan
    well I have decided not to go with neither burstnet or VO. I have decided to go with pwebtech.com.

I got a good offer there for a Dual PIII 1 GHz for about 400$ so I went for that. nice price, great support, great data center, etc. everything i was looking for.

I am using Ventures Online for 3 accounts right now; and I may move to a dedicated server in the future.

Re: pwebtech

Bandwidth?
    Ram?
    IDE or SCSI? Capacity?
    I'm looking for a new server too

Re: Re: pwebtech

256 ram - 25$ a month for each extra 256 ram.
    50 Gb bandwidth

Originally posted by Asia
    Evan,

Nice deal.

How many RAM is in that machine?
    How many Bandwidth do you get a month?

Evan Oliver
    SmooveNet

Re: Re: Re: pwebtech

That's it?

For once I thought you got a 200GB deal.

256 ram - 25$ a month for each extra 256 ram.
    50 Gb bandwidth

Burst is great. Almost a month now since I've had my server. To repeat what's been said 100 times, emails and trouble tickets have been a little slow, but I think they take tickets on situation basis maybe? I have had NO emergencies or major problems. Just questions mainly due to WHM and the answers do come. This last I have noticed the extra help by receiving quicker responses... especially through ICQ. Their ICQ usually shows offline but when I send a message an answer comes back in 5 mins. How do they do that? I know I can set my icq to NA but not to show offline and still receive messages (except for the last 2 days <cough> <cough> a couple of icq's haven't been answered.. little things though).

Overall, Burst does not fall into the u get what u pay for situation. Their price is GREAT, but you still get great service. Since I haven't had a downed server or emergency yet, I can't comment on that.... but myself, with standard questions, I don't mind waiting a little while for the great price I get.

And I still don't get what people have against cpanels them on standard cpanel setup (this is unrelated to Burst itself). To pick a company because they have customized cpanel is silly in my opinion. My customers... all non technical, average users... ALL have commented on how they like cpanel and how easy it is to use and how much they like the layout of it (i use iconic for everyone so that is what they are commenting on).

Get over the stupid themes. You won't find a single customer that is going to leave you or not pick you soley because of the graphics in cpanel... please.

Re: Re: pwebtech

Originally posted by Jedito

Bandwidth?
    Ram?
    IDE or SCSI? Capacity?
    I'm looking for a new server too

50 GB of bandwidth
    256 Ram
    EIDE 7200 RPM, 40 GB
    Evan Oliver
    SmooveNet