The need for low/mid range servers.

First let me say this is not meant to be an offer of any sorts, we purely want to gauge whether there is a need or want for this type of equipment.

If we find there is, then we will make an offer in the offer category as per the rules of the forum.

We are in the process of rotating a bunch of equipment and could potentially have in the neighborhood of 50 to 100 of the following units.

P3 933~1.2G
    256M Ram
    20G HD's - Some 40's

We are either going to liquidate these units or put them back on the self if there is an interest. These would obviously be pretty cheap, but would make good entry level, or DNS, etc. servers...

Like I said.. this is not an offer for these servers purely a gauge of interests...

Thanks,

I'm sure there would be some interest in them since every day you see threads requesting information on "cheap" servers.

For backups or DNS they'd probably serve the customer very well.
    It's time to kick back, pop in a From Autumn to Ashes CD, and relax.....

sounds great

I expect there will always be a demand for older servers, whether for backup solutions, mail, DNS, development, or whatever else; All other things being equal, for the sake of redundancy, I'd rather have a pair of 1GHz boxes for, say, $60/mo each than a single 2GHz box for $120/mo...

(...and, yes, I'd even rather have four 500MHz boxes for $30/mo each...)

Yes, newer and bigger is often better, but for a lot of applications, an older, slower box will do just as fine.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

I think there would be a need for lower end machines for things like DNS servers, File servers, Mail etc.. Depending on the price point of course

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    I think there would be a need for lower end machines for things like DNS servers, File servers, Mail etc.. Depending on the price point of course
    I disagree. Old junk servers will sell to people that are just starting out or who don't care about reliability but I would never put anything on a server that old - as there is a real good chance it will go down within a year or two, just not worth the risk.

Depends on the equipment. We used to have an old P3 800mhz 1/2U server we used just to store our files on. It didn't get used all the time of course but was very reliable.

Just because the equipment is old it doesn't mean it is not reliable..

Originally posted by strainer
    I disagree. Old junk servers will sell to people that are just starting out or who don't care about reliability but I would never put anything on a server that old - as there is a real good chance it will go down within a year or two, just not worth the risk.
    Old junk servers, perhaps, but not all old servers are junk, and, indeed, not all junk servers are old.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Originally posted by Ankheg
    Old junk servers, perhaps, but not all old servers are junk, and, indeed, not all junk servers are old.
    True - I guess what I mean is, IDE drives have an average life of, say 5 years, or whatever.

For that reason I don't buy 4 year old computers.

If it's going to be under $20 a month, I am sure there will be heaps of interested people. Perfect deal for common backup purpose.
    DevOps!

There is always a need for servers for training / development / testing / backups / dns redundancy etc...

As long as you as the host have some expectation that they are reliable and have spare parts for them, I am sure people would be interested.

i agree, there are many uses for old cheap hardware. Sure, it's not as reliable, but it may be temp use. anyone that does anything highly important on one should be smart enough to know the risk. but of course, it boils down to how cheap

Thanks everyone for the feedback... I think we are going to consider putting some of these back in action. I seriously doubt we will put all 100, but you never no, so we might just liquidate the rest...

PM me with question if interested, and I will post up an offer when these are ready.

Thanks Again,

I would be interested in one ... but cant pm you please email me or contact me on here, thanx

they would be nice for someone who wants to learn server administration etc....

its a better option than a VPS in my opinion...