Unhappy HELP! Which is Best Hosted Shopping Cart? Volusion, Shopify, BigCommerce etc

HELP! Which is Best Hosted Shopping Cart? Volusion, Shopify, BigCommerce etc

I have visited numerous review sites and they all say conflicting things - ones says one is good the other says its bad. WTH! I'm so confused I don't know who to choose. Please help!
      0 Not allowed!

Doesn't PayPal have its own free equivalent?
      0 Not allowed!

Paypal as a shopping cart? No that won't cut it. This is an established 7 year old site with over 500 products and 20,000 customers. Anyone with experience with hosted shopping cart please advise.
      0 Not allowed!

They all have pros and cons.

I have been using BigCommerce for two years with about 150 products. While they are far from perfect, it isn't half-bad. It will really come down to the specific features you need. And BigCommerce is terrible at adding new features. Look forward to monthly newsletters filled with fluff "updates" about how they have a new logo, a new website, conflicting stock photography (wait that guy is a developer AND customer service rep?), but thin on results that actually help you.

Back on topic, there is no "best" because all the ecommerce solutions we have tried are incomplete. There are free trials for many of them, why not try some out and see who has the most complete feature-set you are looking for. BigCommerce has a 15 day trial.
    I'm Rich
    Half the carbs, but twice the fun
      0 Not allowed!

Hi Richboos...thanks for your honest opinion. It helps to speak to someone not associated with the review sites. I think I will checkout the trial on a few different ones like you said. Thanks again
      0 Not allowed!

Lead Commerce

You might also want to check out LeadCommerce.com - they have a solid ecommerce software solution hosted in the cloud.
      0 Not allowed!

Magento's "GO" service is their hosted e-commerce platform. Their open source product is very popular as well but takes significant resources to run locally.
    John Rasri
    Private Label Live Chat Provider For Resellers
    GotLiveChat.com
    White Label/Brand-able live chat software solutions
      0 Not allowed!

I'm working quite a long time with ViArt shopping cart which works for me very good but it would be better just to check their free version if it suit your needs as well.
      0 Not allowed!

I used bigcommerce about a year ago. It's pretty good I thought.
      0 Not allowed!

Please come back in a few months and give us an update. I owe it to my company to at least try another ecommerce solution.

---------------------
    Also, I have an update myself on the cons of Bigcommerce and how slow they are to add needed features (blog for SEO, Schema markup, etc).

At least 6 months ago the forum category for Ideas was locked on Bigcommerce and replaced with a new software for just for suggesting ideas. You may have seen these on other websites - you get a certain number of votes that you can use to vote up popular ideas.

In those 6 months only 10 ideas have been "launched". However, of the 10:

- 2 ideas were marked "launched" because the feature already existed in the API. Nothing new here
    - 2 ideas were marked "launched" because the payment gateway was already compatible. Nothing new here
    - 1 ideas was marked "launched" when really it was just fixed. This was the Anti-Spam for reviews actually doing what it was supposed to do.. block spam. Not quite new
    - 1 ideas was marked "launched" because the app already existed in the BigCommerce 'app store'.

So in half of a year only 4 of 10 ideas suggested by the community have been implemented. Now do you understand why I say their newsletters mainly filled with "fluff"? The idea software is strange. Even when a BC staff replies that they are looking into it, they still encourage you to deplete your "votes" on the idea anyway. What is the point?

They have also deleted the previous idea forum. I suppose simply locking the forum wasn't good enough. Now I am unable to go back and look at how long ago things were brought up.

So if you are looking at bigcommerce but they don't have a feature you need - Don't plan on it coming any time soon. I would tell you to read the forums but they are gone anyway.

If bigcommerce has everything you need already, then it should work for you good enough.

I want them to upgrade the product reviews with "Was this review helpful" similar to amazon and the like, but I have already used my voting points on other "ideas" like not sending plaintext passwords over email (no email confirmation by the way, customers often mistype their email. What a nightmare this has been).

Another note for WHT members. Most of us here at WHT are familiar with the term whitelabel.
    BigCommerce actively promotes using an abandoned cart plugin to recover lost sales. This plugin is third-party, from MadWireMedia.
    The plugin/app sends out an email to customers 1 hour, 1 day, and 2 days after a customer leaves the site without purchasing anything.

An issue I have with the plugin is that it is NOT whitelabel, and includes advertising for the plugin. Why are you targeting my customers? And what is the chance my customers also own a store and need email remarketing themselves? If this was an adwords campaign, it would be a terrible return on investment.

The other issue is that the plugin actually has bright red "Abandoned Cart Plugin" in the emails. Customers see the word "abandoned" and think they did something wrong. Plus, why would you want to associate the word "Abandoned" with an online store that is supposed to provide customer service?

I brought this point up in the BigCommerce forums to warn other store owners, and my thread was deleted. I tried this two more times - deleted.
    I opened a BigCommerce support ticket about my threads being deleted - they deleted my ticket.
    Last edited by Richboos; 05-15-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    I'm Rich
    Half the carbs, but twice the fun
      0 Not allowed!

Re: HELP! Which is Best Hosted Shopping Cart? Volusion, Shopify, BigCommerce etc

Big commerce or Magneto Go for a hosted solution. For more customizable solution where you host yourself Magento Community.
    WordPress Hosting
    Shared / White Label Reseller WHM | SSD Cloud | CloudLinux

www.LarisMedia.com Wordpress & Magento Website Design
      0 Not allowed!

I would support either PrestaShop or Magento, really depends on what the client wants to use. I've found PrestaShop very easy to use and has a good community behind it as well.
      0 Not allowed!

I myself would support Shopping Cart Elite. They have a complete package where everything can be managed using one program.
      0 Not allowed!

You can go for Magento which provides robust ecommerce system for selling your products and taking care of payments. You can also look forward to Shopify as well to provide the same solution!
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

It all depends on what your requirements are. Different shopping carts are used for different things. You need to find one that will be easily customisable for the specific purpose that you need. Maybe you could build one yourself?

http://website.1and1.co.uk/build-a-s...g-cart-website

Hope this helps.
      0 Not allowed!

I would go for Shopify - it is very easy to implement and does an excellent job of backing your online store with helpful tools and apps.
      0 Not allowed!

Another Choice

If you have the money to spend go with cs-cart other wise woocomerce is not too bad. Magento personally hogs alot of resource and you would end up spending more in the long run for server and plugins.
      0 Not allowed!

In my opinion, it is Bigcommerce.

My reason are:
    - Bigcommerce do not take sales commision or transaction fee. Their subscription fee is flat.
    - They provide unlimited bandwith. Some provider try to convience me that most online store do not use more than 2GB, but that's not true for my store. Even my online store just a very tiny store, it use more than 2GB per month.
    - I can use my own SSL (Buy my own SSL on other party) and install it on my account without additional fee.
    - They provide everything beside the e-commerce software. DNS and email provided too without any additional fee.

But anyway, it is my personal opinion only.
      0 Not allowed!

Best Hosted Shopping Cart Advice

Hi,

It all depends on your shopping cart needs. I would suggest doing a short and long term cost analysis. Having the flexibility of Shopify means you may spend more on apps further down the road. Plus they have transaction fees when you make sales. Also, the shopping cart is not hosted by you - which may not mean much to some, but I think it seems less credible to end users. A lot of this is standard out-of–box with BC and Volusion. All solutions have beautiful design options and Volusion offers free templates. Pros and cons can be found all over the web by doing an “ecommerce review” search on Google, but it’s best to do a free trial of each and make your own decision.

In my opinion, I think Volusion offers the easiest, most user-friendly platform. They’ve been around the longest, offer great support and don’t take a piece of your sales.

Good luck with your store,
    -Reed
      0 Not allowed!

Self-hosted shopping cart I recommend Magento.

Non self-hosted shopping carts I recommend Woocommerce or prestashop.
      0 Not allowed!

I like WordPress but did not find any plugin that can fully cover all my needs, that's why I am developing webstore platform on my own.
      0 Not allowed!