elastic web/domain hosting

Are there any decent alternatives to Rackspace CloudSites out there?

I'm looking for a web host which is reliably redundant spread across several hosts.

Something I can deploy multiple customers to. Preferably with ssh access.

I am not looking for a build-it-yourself solution with mutlple VMs. I'm looking for something that is already working. Thanks!

Michael Grant

Hi @mgrant, it looks like you need a CMS hosting service that supports auto scaling. As far as I know this is only supported on cloud-based services. Auto scaling means that when load on the application increases, the hosting provider will automatically spawn additional instances of your application to handle the load - I hope that's what you mean by "reliably redundant spread across several hosts". I have heard that VPS.net has an out-of-the-box CMS hosting service and they also have an auto-scaling feature, but I haven't used them personally so I can't recommend. HTH

VPS.net's service is, as far as I am aware just standard cPanel hosting that happens to deployed on a virtual server.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

Quote Originally Posted by dazmanultra View Post
    VPS.net's service is, as far as I am aware just standard cPanel hosting that happens to deployed on a virtual server.
    We have a Hosted Apps product that is a little more complex than that. It's a turnkey solution, where the user has their application automatically deployed to their own server. Our system then monitors the server to perform updates, add resources, and facilitate backup management without user intervention.

One option is to build your own scaling architecture out via AWS, they have a solid platform.
    I do things. - Consumer and b2b IT solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by IGobyTerry View Post
    We have a Hosted Apps product that is a little more complex than that. It's a turnkey solution, where the user has their application automatically deployed to their own server. Our system then monitors the server to perform updates, add resources, and facilitate backup management without user intervention.
    So it's a monitored VPS?
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

I just had a fairly long chat with Parker at vps.net. I came away with the impression that vps.net can't do this. They have VPSes of course. And they have a shared cloud hosting platform. However, the shared hosting platform would give me only one single ssh account. Probably what I need is a sort of reseller account which they don't offer. There doesn't seem to be any way to sort of mix of the two, as in, have users logged into a VPS via ssh access files in the shared hosting.

What Parker kept trying to point me towards was a VPS solution where I had one (or many) VPSes which I manage (or they could manage for $100/month each) plus cPanel. However, this is no different from anyone else and nor is it elastic in the true sense.

I probably could build something on amazon but the purpose of my post was to see if there was something already out there that met my needs.

In my wildest dreams, there would be some cluster of machines built on something like Amazon's ECC or across several physical machines anyway. There would be a control panel. Each client could host multiple domains. Each client could have one or more separate ssh logins. (so far, sounds like a unix/linux box). However, it's all spread accross a cluster of many machines which act as one large machine. If a site needed more resources, more nodes in the cluster were used elastically. If a node went down in the cluster, it doesn't matter, the other nodes continued. Clients could use a web frame work such as Ruby on Rails, Django, or deploy a java app. There's be a database cluster. A mail cluster and mail would appear in user's mailboxes they could get at via ssh or web mail or redirect it somewhere. Clients could mess with their domains and all their settings via a panel like cPanel.

I've never seen anything quite like that. I'd settle for some sort of cloud hosting cluster with ssh access that I could configure up multiple clients each with their own cpanel and ssh access and file space.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrant View Post
    In my wildest dreams, there would be some cluster of machines built on something like Amazon's ECC or across several physical machines anyway. There would be a control panel. Each client could host multiple domains. Each client could have one or more separate ssh logins. (so far, sounds like a unix/linux box). However, it's all spread accross a cluster of many machines which act as one large machine. If a site needed more resources, more nodes in the cluster were used elastically. If a node went down in the cluster, it doesn't matter, the other nodes continued. Clients could use a web frame work such as Ruby on Rails, Django, or deploy a java app. There's be a database cluster. A mail cluster and mail would appear in user's mailboxes they could get at via ssh or web mail or redirect it somewhere. Clients could mess with their domains and all their settings via a panel like cPanel.
    What you described, is almost exactly what ours (and most other) cloud servers do.

At this time there isn't any provider that create a virtualized instance that spawns across multiple machines. The technology simply isn't available that allows you to do it without a significant performance hit. Instead what most cloud providers do is they have extremely powerful machines, setup in a cloud together, with redundant SAN units holding your data. This way if the machine hosting your server goes down, it simply boots up on another. If a single SAN goes down, there is a second SAN available with your data so there's no issues.

So it's a monitored VPS?
    Not entirely, as the machine automatically scales with your needs.

How would I deal with multiple clients? This was one issue Parker couldn't address. I seem to need some sort of master account to control sub-accounts within. We can discuss offline if you like, I'll add you to my contacts and you can contact me directly.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrant View Post
    How would I deal with multiple clients? This was one issue Parker couldn't address. I seem to need some sort of master account to control sub-accounts within. We can discuss offline if you like, I'll add you to my contacts and you can contact me directly.
    Usually people who are hosting multiple clients on the same system use something like cPanel. This gives you administrative access through what they call WHM, and then there is also a client side control panel, cPanel.