Smile VPS advice needed

I needed some insight and advice as I'm not sure what to do or how to proceed. I'm new to the field, my question is when building an e-commerce site for example a online shopping for cloths, do I host the web site in a shared web server and have the payment gateway on a VPS. Or do I have both the web site and payment gateway on a VPS. Is it common or possible to host a web site on a VPS, would there be any performance issues having running the web site and payment gateway in the same VPS. I'm inquiring as I need to know whether to purchase a shared hosting package and VPS package or just only purchase a VPS package. Thanks.

I would suggest you go with either shared or vps. if you are just starting go to shared hosting.

Smile

Thanks for replying, so from what I understood you said to either go for shared hosting or vps. Dose that mean I can run both the online shopping cloths web site and have the payment gateway both running and working together on a shared hosting server with out a problem. The same also applies for the vps. What is recommended though, shared hosting or vps.

Can a shared hosting server provide a dedicated ip address and private SSL which is needed for a payment gateway?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by speeder_02 View Post
    Can a shared hosting server provide a dedicated ip address and private SSL which is needed for a payment gateway?
    Yes....no problem there! Just choose wisely and go with a quality provider given the nature of the project.

Thanks for replying, so from what I understood you said to either go for shared hosting or vps. Dose that mean I can run both the online shopping cloths web site and have the payment gateway both running and working together on a shared hosting server with out a problem. The same also applies for the vps. What is recommended though, shared hosting or vps.

Thanks.
    Hello Sir,

If you want to run new website then we suggest you to start using shared hosting with dedicated IP address for your SSL.

If you will face any problem then we are all here to help you out! just post in this forum for further help.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    WaQas.

either shared or vps is good.
    but choose a good provider to have a good night sleep
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

For security reasons I'd suggest a VPS.
    KnownSRV.com - Privacy. Managed. Secure. Guaranteed!
    Web Hosting | Dedicated Cloud VPS | Dedicated Server
    YOUR Day and Night, Fully Managed Hosting Solutions with REAL 24/7 Support

I might be wrong but, a good shared host does regular security audits and with vps providers they will handover you after doing once all this security and you will have to check server and open tickets for every issue after that even with managed.

Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
    Yes....no problem there! Just choose wisely and go with a quality provider given the nature of the project.
    +1
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

I would go with a VPS. Especially if you are planning a shopping cart and what not (i.e. security). I just do not trust shared with most web hosting companies as it's typically over sold and you could have a ton of people on the server.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | 1500 CLASS-A/B/C | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING
    RESIDENTIAL IPS | 10G UNMETERED | IPV4 SOLUTION PROVIDER SINCE 2008

shared host will be good and enough for website and shopping cart
    You r not expert enough to manage u VPS,, so I recommend shared host

Quote Originally Posted by SiteServs View Post
    shared host will be good and enough for website and shopping cart
    You r not expert enough to manage u VPS,, so I recommend shared host
    There are both managed, and unmanaged, VPS. He would be fine with a managed VPS solution.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | 1500 CLASS-A/B/C | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING
    RESIDENTIAL IPS | 10G UNMETERED | IPV4 SOLUTION PROVIDER SINCE 2008

I would agree that a FULLY managed VPS would be your best bet however it depends on your budget, if you don't want to pay a premium for a quality managed VPS $40 - $70 p/month (rough estimate as no idea of load or software you will run) then I would suggest you hunt out an outstanding shared hosting package.
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU

I needed some insight and advice as I'm not sure what to do or how to proceed. I'm new to the field, my question is when building an e-commerce site for example a online shopping for cloths, do I host the web site in a shared web server and have the payment gateway on a VPS. Or do I have both the web site and payment gateway on a VPS. Is it common or possible to host a web site on a VPS, would there be any performance issues having running the web site and payment gateway in the same VPS. I'm inquiring as I need to know whether to purchase a shared hosting package and VPS package or just only purchase a VPS package. Thanks.
    The advice in this thread is all over the map; I hope I don't add to the confusion. But here goes ...

You can host a site with a unique IP address and SSL certificate on either a shared host, or on a VPS. Both will work. In either case, you may have to buy the IP address at an extra $1 to $2 per month. While many VPS come with one or two IP addresses the usual configuration has those used for your name server IPs, so you'll still need to buy one (or buy a third party DNS service).

If that bit about name servers and DNS is confusing to you, and you'd rather work on your site than learn about all this stuff, go with a stable shared hosting account, separate IP address and SSL certificate. Either a managed or unmanaged VPS will require you to learn more about server management, taking time away from your focus on your website. (But, if you want to learn those things anyway, a VPS is an option).

A VPS does not provide better security than a shared server in any measurable way that I can think of. Perhaps someone will enlighten me. In both cases, the account is accessible by the webhost you buy from (and their technicians) and the data center employees. In both cases, the other VPS or shared accounts on the server are isolated from your account. You can spend more time and energy securing a VPS and have finer control (for instance, allowing root access only from your home IP address), but these differences are minor in the overall scheme of things. Assuming you use strong passwords, use secure FTP or SFTP for transferring files, etc., the security of your account is the same. Unless you neglect to secure a VPS at the same level of a good shared hosting provider, that is (see this thread for information on how to secure a VPS ... and it that looks too complicated to you, go with a shared host).

All of this assumes you are using a third party payment gateway that takes over before your customer enters their credit card number, and that you are not planning on storing customer's credit card numbers on the website. If you are planning to store credit card numbers, then you need a host that provides you with a PCI compliant hosting account, PCI compliant VPS or PCI compliant dedicated server. You can read more about PCI compliance, and the standards you have to meet for a shared, VPS or dedicated server account at PCI Security Standards.

But most people use a third party payment gateway from their bank, Paypal, Google Checkout or Amazon.com that takes the customer to their secure site, that meets all those requirements for PCI compliance. If you plan on doing that, you don't have to worry about PCI compliance, or even having a SSL certificate and dedicated IP address. You can use a regular shared hosting account. (One caveat: depending on your customers, they may have higher confidence in your site if it is on a separate IP address and has a SSL certificate in place for the shopping cart portion of the transaction).

Thanks for all your help. The replies to my post were all help full. However every one was talking about security. I far as I know having a dedicated ip address and a private SSL would mean there can be security in place. I'm not going to implement it I'm the person making sure the requirements are there for that to happen. So as long as a shared hosting server provided a private ip address and private SSL it was good enough for me. Reading some online material it say's shared web servers can't proved a dedicated ip address as the server's shared. Another saying a private SSL isn't possible on a shared server. so I came onto this forum to make sure and get the facts straight. The other reason I posted to this for was to see if a payment gateway need's it's over server. I don't know how a payment gateway works. I'm not sure if you need to purchase a payment gateway like any other software, who installs it, if it can be installed onto our private server or if we need our web site to talk to the payment gateway hosted on another secure server. If some one can explain what make up a payment gateway and how it's used or communicated with I would understand better. For now when I hear payment gateway I think it need's it own server as I think it's a resource hungry application. So I thought one server is needed for a the web site the other server for the payment gateway.

Is there any place where there's free server management online tutorials or a few free tutorials.

For now the reply from fshagan was helpful so thanks.

I think you need to search third party payment gateway on google. every sopping cart has some modules for third party payment gateways, so get one and have a look to code how they connect to gateway. you will have a clear picture what is required. I don't think you need your own payment gateway.

Payment gateway can be PayPal or Google Checkout. Google Checkout needs to use SSL for API callbacks. Or are you going to be accepting debit/credit cards? That is a lot different. If you're going to be taking debit/credit card info you should really have your own Dedicated Server, or at least a VPS.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Smile

No I wont be saving any credit card or debit card details. Is there any source online that explains how to get a payment gateway and how to integrate that into a e-commerce web site?

No I wont be saving any credit card or debit card details. Is there any source online that explains how to get a payment gateway and how to integrate that into a e-commerce web site?
    The payment gateway will integrate into the shopping cart you use on your ecommerce site. In choosing your shopping cart, you will want to make sure it supports your chosen payment gateways. For instance, if you are going to use PayPal, make sure the shopping cart has support for it.

For instance, here are some instructions for setting up PayPal with Zen Cart, a popular open source shopping cart application.

A quick answer to two prior questions: you can indeed get a unique IP address and a SSL certificate for your website on most shared servers (it is technically possible on ALL shared servers, but availability will vary from host to host).

Here's how I would start. Make a couple of lists. One is what software you will be using for your ecommerce site. This will determine the hosting account resources. As an example, if you choose software that is programmed in the ASP language, you are probably better off on a Windows server. If the software is PHP based, then a linux server is better (in my opinion, that is!) The software will help determine what else you need. Some will require a dedicated server, while most will run fine on a shared server.

The second list is what you need from your host. You will know the technical requirements of the site software you choose. Those will be details like minimum disk space for the program, the type of server, etc. If you decide you want a unique IP address and SSL certificate, make sure your host can provide that, install it and configure it for you (expect to pay from $1 to $2 a month for the IP address, and $40 to $70 a year for a basic SSL certificate.)

Armed with your list of software requirements and your list of what you need from your host in addition to the software requirements, you can start searching for a host. Sometimes, the software company will have a list of hosts that can install and configure their software for you. While these hosts may be a bit more expensive than other hosts, they can be a good way to go, especially if you ever run into any problems.

For ecommerce I recommend a VPS or dedicated, as you will need an SSL certificate installed to help secure your site and gain trust from your clients, a shared account would be OK but to install an SSL certificate you need a dedicated IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by -TheCod3r- View Post
    For ecommerce I recommend a VPS or dedicated, as you will need an SSL certificate installed to help secure your site and gain trust from your clients, a shared account would be OK but to install an SSL certificate you need a dedicated IP address.
    Very true but the Dedicated IP would be the cheaper option by quite a way I would suggest.
    l VC-Hosting.COMsales [at] vc-hosting.com
    l Reseller Hosting WHMCS License Included
    l Shared Hosting Auto Script Installers

Thanks all for your help. Now do I need to close this thread or just leave it be? Do I need to state that this issues is resolved? Thanks.