Ethernet with 100Gbps

Nortel shows how to beef up Ethernet with 100G
    Quote:

OTTAWA, CANADA — Nortel has advanced the development of 100 Gigabit Ethernet transport, a technology that is key to delivering the cost-effective bandwidth that service providers and enterprises need in the era of Hyperconnectivity. Nortel has demonstrated the capability to run 100GbE traffic over a single 100Gps wavelength to customers visiting the company's Research and Development Centre in Ottawa.
    Nortel is combining 100G capacity – 10 times the capacity of today's 10G networks – with the speed and simplicity of Ethernet. The demonstration featured a 100 GbE prototype developed by Nortel and utilized the 100 GE Development Accelerator System from Ixia to simulate and monitor traffic on the network.
    For the demonstration, both Ixia and Nortel used a 100 GbE client signal meeting the IEEE's proposed 100 m physical layer specifications. Nortel is able to transport the signal error-free over a single Optical Transport Unit 4 (OTU4) compliant 100 Gbps wavelength running at 112 Gbps over 800 km of fiber using its innovative 100G Adaptive Optical Engine solution.

Read the whole story here http://fibresystems.org/cws/article/yournews/37117

Justin M Guest
    At this rate, it won't be long before we are seeing the first terabit lines being deployed. Very exciting to see.

__________________DeusHost Image Hosting

Check out a video showing the technology in action.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEUDiRWNmII

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin M

At this rate, it won't be long before we are seeing the first terabit lines being deployed. Very exciting to see.

I love to see that too but I doubt if electronics can catch up. Unless they figure out a way to build circuits that use photons rather than electrons.
    That 100Gig Optical card is probably using several 10-20gig electrical serial transceivers.

To avoid any confusion in terminology, it looks like 100GBE over fiber (not copper).
    I know some people who think you can push 10GBE over copper.... Which you can, for about 5 feet

Quote:

Originally Posted by porcupine

To avoid any confusion in terminology, it looks like 100GBE over fiber (not copper).
    I know some people who think you can push 10GBE over copper.... Which you can, for about 5 feet

If you don't mind the high latency and power dissipation then 10GBase-T is supposed to work upto 100 meters, which it will over time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prizark

If you don't mind the high latency and power dissipation then 10GBase-T is supposed to work upto 100 meters, which it will over time.

Heh, but it doesn't currently, thats my point .
    I dont know *anyone* whose ever setup 10GBIT over copper, in a production environment, ever.
    Could be that after spending $20k+ on xenpacks, they're just not in the mood to save $20 on fiber anymore :p

100 Gbps is actually old news. Verizon did a successful field trial of 100 Gbps between Tampa and Miami last year, and it was done on fiber that was originally conditioned for just 10 Gbps. While 40 Gbps is in production now, VZ demonstrated that an upgrade from 40 to 100 Gbps could be accomplished on existing fiber by simply swapping out the optics at the endpoints.http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-...cessfully.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashikant

Check out a video showing the technology in action.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEUDiRWNmII

The engineer in the video didn't show the nuclear-atom-smasher behind the blue curtain in the other room. So, bring $100 million in bailout money and get setup

btolley76 Guest
    100G and 10GBASE-T

The IEEE 802.3 is in the midst of standardizing 40 and 100G interfaces. Lots of information about this activity is in the public domain.
    See ieee802.org
    Many companies participating in the standard expect 40G interfaces to be available sooner than 100G and more cost effective for connecting servers to switches and thus more interesting to readers of this site.
    In reference to 10GBASE-T, the standard was completed in 2006 and is available on line. See
    See ieee802.org/3/an/
    10GBASE-T products are available from multiple companies. including Solarflare Communications and SMC Networks and Dell
    See their respective sites and search for 10GBASE-T.

Looks like the Lucent press release indicates a slightly faster medium (112 Gbps) over a considerably longer distance (800 km) than the alcatel-lucent (verizon) announcement other than the me too nature of the announcement.
    Nonetheless, we are rapidly getting closer to the possibility of really high speeds to the end user in countries where distances are insignificant compared to the US/Canada .

Now that technology is on the horizon to increase transit capacity by an order of magnitude (standard 10 gbps becomes 100 gbps), it will become increasingly more difficult for carriers to justify the pricing some of them still command. (example: TWTC recently quoted me nearly $100/mbit in one of their own lit POP/Colo facilities)
    Bandwidth has almost reached commodity status, and 100 Gbps links running over legacy 10 Gbps fiber (translation: drop-in upgrades, no long-haul field upgrades needed) will push it over the top.
    I'm looking forward to $2/mbit pricing (or less) even for non-Cogent transit. Just like VoIP makes it possible to communicate without long distance charges, dirt cheap transit will free us from caring about the bandwidth charges and let us focus solely on the quality of content being delivered.
    And of course, this will filter down to our home broadband connections.... eventually.